Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanked 1,332 Times in 496 Posts

Maybe a garage door that rolls up instead of sliding along the ceiling.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
yeah, thats not going to be enough, but if your garage is deep you can put the lift towards the back so you can get the front of the car under the car on the rack in up to the back of the hood.
The garages around my house are 28' x 20' with ceiling height of 10'. The standard height of garage door is 7'. So if the distance with the garage door open is 7', then you have plenty room. Yes, you have to position it farther back. The SG-7000 is little over 14' in length. The ceiling height is a factor, but depends on the height of the vehicle. 9 feet might be a little tight, but depends on the cars that you plan to store. My neighbor had a corvette underneath and street rod on top. The main reason that he did it, because he couldn't build a garage in back. The better option is to build a garage. Although, I have room to build a 40 x 28. Which is the biggest the city will allow me to build on my 1/2 acre lot.
Another option is add on to your garage. A custom garage builder showed me a home in my area, were they added another garage on the side. They also modified both garages for the new ceiling height of 12'. You would never know from the outside, but it looks nice.

PS.

If you have plans for infrared radiant heating, then that is another factor. My codes state that it has to be 5' feet away from the vehicle. Lighting would have to be more planned out, but I love my T5-HO lighting.

Jeff

Last edited by Sparks67; 01-26-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

Autokraft.org

My garage measures 9 ft 8in and I have three lifts in it. I have a 98/02 Camaro on/under one lift. 64 chevelle/68 Camaro on/under another and a 68/69 Camaro on/under another. They fit perfect for storage but not quite enough room to raise it high enough to comfortably work under. Also, my garage is deep enough so the doors won't hit the cars on top but even if it wasn't the doors would still clear if I had the cars parked facing the doors. The doors would just go over the hoods. 9ft would work if the cars overall height were low enough but would be real tight
Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autokraft View Post
My garage measures 9 ft 8in and I have three lifts in it. I have a 98/02 Camaro on/under one lift. 64 chevelle/68 Camaro on/under another and a 68/69 Camaro on/under another. They fit perfect for storage but not quite enough room to raise it high enough to comfortably work under. Also, my garage is deep enough so the doors won't hit the cars on top but even if it wasn't the doors would still clear if I had the cars parked facing the doors. The doors would just go over the hoods. 9ft would work if the cars overall height were low enough but would be real tight
Any pics? Would love to see it.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

My garage has a 12' foot ceiling, and I can stand under nearly any car (except minivans and trucks) with comfort. I can't imagine getting a 9 foot garage to work.

I also had to convert my garage door to a high lift design and jack-shift-based opener. it took a lot of work to get everything working.

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM

A lift isn't a waste of money but you will be limited to doing a majority of your work sitting on a rolling seat.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM

A garage door company can move your garage door all the way to the ceiling. Basically add track at the bottom and move up the the tracks towards the ceiling.

You can then buy a side mount garage door opener that sits to the side of door instead of above it.

http://www.prodoorparts.com/products/167.cfm
Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autokraft View Post
Kurt, I know it's your garage BUT you have 8' tall doors,not 7' so that's where he may run into clearance issues!
Oh and buy the way you need to post up more pictures of your projects,personal and customer! We all like to see pictures! We'll be waiting !
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM

This website here has lot of photos on a garage with a lift. They recommend at least 10' to 14' for a lift, but on page 5, they show raised ceiling height. http://www.ultimategarage.com/homegarage/UltGar2y.htm

Jeff
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 PM

thanks Jeff, I now have a case of garage envy...its pretty cool to see the transformation of the garage and a mans lifestyle change with time.

Oh, yeah. That doesn't count. He has a vaulted ceiling.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11