Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparCar View Post
What! No high bay LEDs? Even less power and 50000 hour life!
J/K. I'm an electrical project manager and we install LEDs more and more for production facilities.

Wes
Wes! Dang it!

PM me if there's something I should consider please. I'm pretty sure the electrical guy said fluorescents but he might have said LED's.... The ceilings are about 20' off the floor... and I told him "I've never had TOO MUCH light". He assured me he was in my camp and thought the same way.

We did talk T5's in the tool room area -- and he said no way -- he was going to run T8's I think he said.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 AM

Hey Wes, is your middle name happen to be Charles?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 AM

While a few of you were shoveling coal in the Text Train I actually made forward progress on my midget table. Base is .188 2x4, uprights and top frame are .083 2x2. 9' of 1/16" filler made for decent practice. Took my time and played with pulling angles with the welds to get a feel vs. just blocking and clamping everything solid.

I have no idea how many laps I made around this stupid thing to obtain the proper welding positions. At one point yesterday when welding mounting tabs on the top which was flat on the floor I was running the foot pedal with right elbow while holding the torch and feeding rod with the left hand........goofy sport this TIG Welding is.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
While a few of you were shoveling coal in the Text Train I actually made forward progress on my midget table. Base is .188 2x4, uprights and top frame are .083 2x2. 9' of 1/16" filler made for decent practice. Took my time and played with pulling angles with the welds to get a feel vs. just blocking and clamping everything solid.

I have no idea how many laps I made around this stupid thing to obtain the proper welding positions. At one point yesterday when welding mounting tabs on the top which was flat on the floor I was running the foot pedal with right elbow while holding the torch and feeding rod with the left hand........goofy sport this TIG Welding is.

LOL...I kow how you feel....I use to duct tape the pedal to my foot when I get into the funky angle cages.

I always tell people when you are first learning how to tig, start off by mastering the finger wheel. The foot op stuff is almost natural.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 AM

It's better and cheaper than Therapy!

TIG = Therapy In Garage

Only Sieg would TIG where most would MIG.... LOL

I've told other people when they've asked about TIG -- If you have MIG and TIG -- you'll end up choosing to TIG and the MIG becomes a tack welder or only used on something you don't care about. LOL but it's true.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:20 AM

This project has been the best practice I've had to date. Besides the additional material prep and cleaning my speed has improved and so have the beads.....go figure.

Today I was installing .5" x .5" shelving stringers that required fabbing a fitment jig and due to the bow in the 2x4 lower frame tubing I had gaps at the top of the .5" tubing that required using a lay-wire technique with 3/32" filler.

It's also forced numerous ambidextrous torch and foot control situations.

Yes, I could have run and gunned the thing with the MIG and it would have been solid............but I plan on having this thing the rest of my life and the TIG welds look so much better that to me they're worth the extra effort......and this type of practice is invaluable.

If I could afford the welding table and fixturing that shares my last name this stuff would be easy : http://www.stronghandtools.com/siegmundtables/index.php
Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 AM

I totally agree - but I'm going to give you crap regardless.

Personally - I'd give my MIG machine away... it's just way more fun and looks way mo' betta with TIG. Plus - it requires SKILLZ.....
Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 PM

Practice, practice, practice.........

Why do I want a larger welding table?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 AM

Well it looks like I'm finally going to pull the trigger on getting a TIG..

I've been debating it for a good year now.....95% of the metal work on my car is done, so in reality I really don't need one at this point...yes GW, the car has made a lot of progress, I just haven't posted about it and no, its not done yet......but the funds are available right now, so its the best time if I'm ever going to get one

Can't justify the $$ or size to go above the Miller Diversion 180....not for the needs I have and the space in my garage...

Of course, I haven't even ordered it yet, and I'm already thinking of things to "tweak" on it.....gas lenses, flexible torch, etc..any suggestions on the best small things to add that make a big difference? the 180 comes with the Weldcraft WP17 torch...

Best all around tungsten to start with....filler rod to start with etc....

I'm sure I will add different tungsten and filler as time goes by, but I don't want to load up on tons of supplies right off the bat...

My first project is going to be building a cart for the TIG and my plasma...that should help manage a little more space too...good practice also...
Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

Hi Ned,

You should be fine with the 180 but I would recommend more if you are going to get into alot of Aluminum work.

The Millers are so compact and makes it a great choice for home builders.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11