Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I think I paid around $16-17k to have mine done. I forget the dimensions..

I was one happy camper when it was done. I built the workbench in 20º weather.

And it's what sold our house the first day on the market too.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Nice drag strip!
Funny you should say that! They just got done paving the road in our development 2 weeks ago. We've been driving a half mile of gravel for the last 4 years. Since our house is at the very end it looks like I have my own 1320 now!

//1969 Camaro (Hers...)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Unless you're Charley Lillard and can buy the TajMahal..... no matter how big you build your "shed" it'll end up looking like this!!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Greg... So doing the labor yourself.... What did your shop cost in total.... Concrete, electrical, building etc

And where did you get your building?

The thing that concerns me the most is the concrete cost.... Gonna need the pad and some driveway

My goal is $50k and under, doing as much myself as possible

40x60x16 is pretty big .... But I don't want to regret building it too small.... But may need to downsize to fit my budget
Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricer View Post
We built a 25x25 at our old house...now we did all the labor so it saved a decent amount of money......but if you have an 84 lumber near you they sell garage "kits" other companies offer as well...but comes with architecture approved plans and directions if you need them. they offer various sizes, styles, options, etc. We spec'd ours out, and materials alone were in the $4-5K range, then we had to do the foundation work, it sucked and will never do it again. Had to go 48" down to the frost line and build up from there . When all said and done i think we had a little over 6-7K in it for completed building and electrical...so only thing left was insulation sheetrock. For under 10K you can have a pretty nice garage.
Do you live in the US?
I built this shed in my back yard its 10x10. Just building materials alone if I was going 25x25 it wouldn't be anywhere near 10k.
Attached Images

Last edited by 96z28ss; 05-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
Do you live in the US?
I built this shed in my back yard its 10x10. Just building materials alone if I was going 25x25 it wouldn't be anywhere near 10k.
it was NJ. Like i said we had 6-7K into it and i am sure insulation/sheetrock wouldn't be that much if doing it yourself to the extra <$3K i added was obviously over estimated. That included vinyl siding as well so to me that was a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks67 View Post
Hmmm, I think you forgot to add the concrete foundation to that cost.

Jeff
nope, that included the full perimeter foundation base in 16x8 pour, cinderblock walls up to grade, and a 4-5" pad. If i remember right all the concrete was less than a grand. Want to say it was 9-10 yrds at seventy something per yard...concrete place was about 2-3 miles down the road

Last edited by ricer; 05-10-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJDVM's '69 View Post
Greg... So doing the labor yourself.... What did your shop cost in total.... Concrete, electrical, building etc

And where did you get your building?

The thing that concerns me the most is the concrete cost.... Gonna need the pad and some driveway

My goal is $50k and under, doing as much myself as possible

40x60x16 is pretty big .... But I don't want to regret building it too small.... But may need to downsize to fit my budget
The building was 20 grand (3K for skylights!) and worth it!
The pad was 11 grand - thickened edge - #4 rebar - fiber reinforced - stainless steel joint "thingies" - 6" minimum thickness - and vapor barrier!
Can't remember what the doors cost but they were at least 3 grand with commercial openers installed
I had to buy a compound sliding mitre saw and stand -- $500
I bought 2 drills (the ones in our hands in the pic) Gave the one my buddy used to him when we were done and gave him a grand to help me
At least $1500 in RENTAL FEES for ZoomBoom and other lifts
A couple grand for the insulation guys - used 6" high density bat
I did all the electrical but still have a couple grand in fixtures - panel - wiring - conduit etc

We moved 180 double truckloads of dirt before anything else. The excavator operator was $185 an hour - and it cost $9 per cubic yard to DUMP the dirt I paid to haul (three double dump trucks - one being loaded - one running - one waiting) so I was about 125 grand into moving earth before doing anything else.... and fugidaboud the retaining walls -- driveway paving - blah blah blah blah

I should have sheeted the roof before installing the standing seam roofing - I was told not to - they were wrong and it looked "wavy gravy" (remember him from Woodstock?)

So when I roofed my house last year - they tore off the standing seam - sheeted and put on matching roofing to the house. MUCH MO BETTA!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey64 View Post
We built a 40x100x12 steel building/farm shop for a customer last year. It was $114,000 all in. Steel building package delivered, insulation, bottom 8' of interior lined with steel, labor, equipment, concrete, electrical, plumbing, overhead doors...

My own stick built 1000 sqft detached garage built to match our house was in the $46/sqft range with a good amount of outside cocnrete. We poured the footings and did the plumbing ourselves. The rest was hired done.

It's not CA so a little off topic but maybe gives guys in the upper midwest an idea of cost if they read this thread.
Do you recall the dimensions?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chev67 View Post
Do you recall the dimensions?
Approx 37' x 27' 6" with 9' ceiling. Should of done 12' ceiling or maybe 10' plus vaulted... I need more sqft also. A city code held us to the 1000sqft but I've since found out that we could of got a variance to go larger without a problem.
//1969 Camaro (Hers...)