with everyone while building it... his neighbors hate him
We went over for a tour with our cars one day and his
kids were jumping dirt bikes in the front yard

The stories he tells about the rules etc
They passed a few for him in his neighborhood.. go figure

So yes I understand who

Panteracer Norcal Bob
Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 PM

Can't stop the money train! Either adapt and get involved or watch it all go away. Money was paid to get the db level increased for this event, I'm sure more is paid when the historics run.

I'd be curious to know of the ten or so cars that had to adapt at the track, who is doing a more permanent fix?

Maybe we can all donate a tree to muffle the noise in the faster parts of the track....or some can just run a different exhaust.

Dan
Old 03-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I don't like it -- but I totally understand the nature of what happens around these tracks.... People move in near them -- then every weekend there's the "race" noise.

Eventually -- if they are lucky the track reaches a compromise to quiet things down... and we know that REAL race cars are not going to do that... so WE are the groups that can modify our cars. I get it. Don't have to like it but I get it.

I look at a track like Laguna Seca and marvel that it has survived. Owned and run by the county --- think of the property taxes it would generate if they put high end homes up in those hills... they'd generate revenue without nearly as much hassle.

In the meantime ---- if we want events and organizations to survive and grow --- we need to SUPPORT them not bitch about something none of us has any chance of changing. Otherwise -- when you stay away -- then it becomes another nail in the coffin -- no demand for events -- no demand for a track -- and they pave the SOB over and we have NOWHERE to go. Vote with you wallets -- learn to adapt and modify (that IS the essence of hot rodding) and join in ----- or don't bitch when you have nowhere or nobody is organizing anything for us. We're in the middle of no mans land -- we are not racers -- we're street cars.... with racing wannabes as drivers. No sanctioning body would have us... and we'd have to build to their specs instead of our rag tag bunch of car combinations.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 PM

First off I love listening to raw exhaust scavenging as much as the next guy. I also understand the fatigue that loud exhaust have on drivers, thus why they all wear hearing protection. F1, MotoGP, and the other serious bar-raising performance classes need free flowing exhaust. But.....there are so many operators that want loud because it sounds fast and makes them think they're fast even though their vehicle isn't and never will be. They're the ones that create the negative perception.......the perceptions start on public roadways and neighborhoods and nurtures a stereotyped anti-noise culture. Very similar situation with off-road bikes and atv's.

Hopefully muffler engineers can bring new products to the marketplace that still sound great yet neutralize the retaliatory efforts of others. It's still the other idiots that never go to the track that will continue to create conflict. As long as there's products that will allow the vested track enthusiasts to carry on and deflect blame and not fuel the track closure movement all is good.

Technology has managed to silence jets, helicopters, and firearms as a few examples and still maintain reasonable performance, hopefully the aftermarket exhaust engineers can deliver as well.

Now can anyone tell me why Harley's everywhere get diplomatic immunity? That's one issue that just flat ticks me off. The epitome of loud and slow.