Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What motor would you do?
LSx 165 81.68%
Supercharged SBC 400 w/ EFI 37 18.32%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM

how much hp do's a stock L92 make. what would it take make 570-600hp same with the LS7. thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 02:28 PM

I have to say that you might not want to get sucked into the madness around here either. If you have a bunch of money tied up in your small block combo, then use it. You can get caught up in chasing the biggest, newest, greatest thing around here. Ask me how I know. At the end of the day you are going to lose your ass on used parts. I'd go LSX over a small block but not if it strains you financially. If you want to feel better about the small block, go post the poll over on Camaros.net. LOL
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I have to say that you might not want to get sucked into the madness around here either. If you have a bunch of money tied up in your small block combo, then use it. You can get caught up in chasing the biggest, newest, greatest thing around here. Ask me how I know. At the end of the day you are going to lose your ass on used parts. I'd go LSX over a small block but not if it strains you financially. If you want to feel better about the small block, go post the poll over on Camaros.net. LOL
X2
and to add to the cost of the aftermarket part is still very high IMHO,headers is a good example.

If the OP is anything like me he will get the need for more so the LS brings more potential to the table. Believe me I fight this arguemnt in my head all the time. I am a long time SBC guys who has been in the small block camp forever. Its tough to make the jump
Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

LS.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 PM

it looks like most of you would purchase an LS motor. I think the sbc with a efi supercharger would look a little different to what most everybody else is doing. knowing I don't have the finance to up grade the LS by much after the purchase. and i think 500 or so hp may not brake any records but will be fine for me. and you know something bigger, faster, newer always show up at the shows to take your trophy. I thank everybody for your input, keep voting like to see the result.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM

supercharged ls2 550hp@ with the lsx you will miss that s/c whine ( its a mad max thing)
Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Question Tough Call

I'm in the same boat as you Anthony. My car will only be a car show car or a weekend warrior and not driven much as well, so I see your question.
I LOVE the sounds of a SB or BB, but these LSx engines are just screaming for performance parts. Intake, headers and full exhaust and you're on your way to some serious horsepower gains. Never mind cam swaps and of course, tuning!!
GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:44 PM

You can make serious power with any of these. Sure, LSx platform puts up good numbers and you get EFI to boot. If starting with nothing, then LS crates are good options. However, you can still build a solid SBC or BBC for similar money minus the EFI. Typically those will be built with all forged internals which isnt' the case with LS crates.

I have a big investment in BBC stuff so that is why I'm sticking with that. I love the LS stuff but not enough to eat a huge loss. I also love the BBC sound :-). Not to mention so many people are dumping new BBC and SBC stuff now just to get on the LS bandwagon that you can get some really good deals. On the flip side, don't try and sell any SBC/BBC parts in this market .

John
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM

from the choices above, definetely go LSx. you can go anywhere from a stock 350hpLS1 to a 620hp LSX454 crate up to 2500hp+ built engine with forced induction/nitrous. there are reports of the 4th gen camaros getting 28mpg on hwy with ls1/t56 combo, very respectable IMO.

i would go LSx under any circumstances unless you were either building a drag-only car or a show-only car, then it'd be a forced induction (of some sort) BBC. but for driveability purposes, LSx all the way.

for HP to displacement numbers with equal driveability, NOTHING beats the LSx.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 PM

I am Johnson deep in a small block 400 stroker. I would do an LS motor any day over a SBC.