Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 11-13-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64duece View Post
If you decide to use a distributor, I would recommend using it for the cam sync and running the 60-2 crank trigger to gain the spark accuracy advantage. You can always add coils at another time with this configuration.
That's what I was thinking...especially since I'll have all the accessories off this winter anyway mounting the wheel is easy. Is the crank trigger setup expected to be released around the same time as the efi systems? Do you mean use a specific cam sync distributor (like an accel dual sync) or can you just use the msd pickup as a cam sync? Did you gain any idle/low rpm improvement going to the DIS?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
That's what I was thinking...especially since I'll have all the accessories off this winter anyway mounting the wheel is easy. Is the crank trigger setup expected to be released around the same time as the efi systems? Do you mean use a specific cam sync distributor (like an accel dual sync) or can you just use the msd pickup as a cam sync? Did you gain any idle/low rpm improvement going to the DIS?
That release of the DIS componenets shouldn't be far out from the initial release of the EFI. I prefer a hall effect pickup vs a modified mag pickup due to the possibility of injecting noise into the circuit and losing sync. I've done this with FAST XFI without issue but, haven't tested it with the Holley EFI. I can let you know on this.

My car is cammed mild so, it already idled very well with 15" of vac. I'm pretty picky when it comes to idle so, I'd say a small improvement has been made in respect to idle hysterisis.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 PM

I've read that there can be issues when removing 7 teeth from the reluctor of a standard distributor to use as a cam sync due to algnment and phasing issues. I suppose that should be effectively adjustable by just turning the distributor as if adjusting timing?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM

Hey KennyD, are you sure its Granatelli that makes those valve covers? I've been searching their site and cant find them. You have a link or some pics? Maybe its another manufacturer?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
I've read that there can be issues when removing 7 teeth from the reluctor of a standard distributor to use as a cam sync due to algnment and phasing issues. I suppose that should be effectively adjustable by just turning the distributor as if adjusting timing?

The distributor from a vortec 350 makes a good cam sensor. It has the correct 180' reluctor.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Supporting Member

You can get a set of 8.1 valve covers, coils...and plugs - it will bolt right on the other head...and you are good to go:

Old 11-20-2009, 10:08 AM

No way those 8.1 valve covers will clear my shaft rockers.

Only reaon I would liek to stick with my current dist and mod it to use as a sync is with my current intake/head setup my distributor depth requires an adjustable collar to get full gear engagement. The vortec dist would have to be modded to work which is a bit of a pain. That may change with a new efi intake though too.

I couldn't find anything from grannetelli either...
Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Supporting Member

Could you get a welding shop to cut and weld on some of these covers and get the clearance you need?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 PM

Man I spent all weekend looking for those valve covers! Can't find them anywhere! The DSE ones that they fabbed up are awesome!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Any of the basic aluminum or steel covers can be modified to accept the coil-packs. Abit of material to make stands and some welding, and use the valve covers of your choice.