Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Welding Table

Hi all !

Over Christmas and New Years I started thinking about a welding table design that I could build. I searched the web for pics and ideas and found some interesting ideas. Just wondering if anyone here that uses a table often has some additional ideas or preferences they might like to add. Post your pics, ideas and comments !

I'm looking to build a 36 x 36 with a 1/2 thick top. 4 square legs (2 or 2.5) with levelers. Square or round tube cross supports.

C clamp and Vise Grip hangar rail(s) on the left side.

I plan to have a hole grid pattern waterjet'd on the top so I can thread the holes to mount hold-down jigs, tooling and clamps.

I liked the ability to bolt down accessories (vise, grinder, hanger dolly stand, etc) to the table with a standard size mounting plate. Maybe even a shelf under the table to place the accessories out of the way while not used.

Hangers/holders on the right side (I'm correct handed) for the torch to hang and welding pliers, etc.

Electrical main cable with a couple outlets.

Miller even has a 12 x 12 opening in their top that allows installation of a torch/plasma cutoff area and includes replaceable cross bars. There is a removable catch tray under that area to dump the junk.

Basically a smaller table for a garage dog that provides lots of versatility needed in a home hobby shop.

Here's some pics of the nicer one's I've seen.

Jim
Attached Images

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 01-05-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Some accessories.

Once I get mine designed - I'll post the plans and a materials list for those interested.
Attached Images

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 01-05-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

There is NO ONE RIGHT TABLE.... ever....

It's never big enough - or tall enough - or low enough...

Mine is 4' X 6' - 1/2" thick top... with threaded holes for mounting "stuff" - like 90 degree blocks etc. I also plug welded a angle iron piece at one end - PERFECTLY SQUARE - and etched a line in the middle. The plug welding allows me to pull or push a tape measure.

I would only add that - you need POWER to the table somewhere -- and AIR... from overhead. Also - I would not make it too fancy as far as the top goes... many times I tack things to the table... and grind the tack off when finished. T slots belong on milling machines etc... I would constantly be dropping tungstens in there and screws and nuts etc - that would really pee me off...

STRONG and FLAT and unshakable is a good attribute! Storage under it is also good.... I took the wheels off my first Sears Craftsman 3 drawer tool box - and stuck it under my table. It now stores the consumables.. gloves... boxes of ss wire brushes etc that I use constantly when welding etc.

I have a separate cutting - bending - banging - dirty - nasty table.... made from grates I bought at Boeing surplus... the "stuff" all falls down - and I can use it for spray painting small parts etc... I don't want to get paint on my good table - as this would then hamper my "ground"...
Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I have a separate cutting - bending - banging - dirty - nasty table.... made from grates I bought at Boeing surplus... the "stuff" all falls down - and I can use it for spray painting small parts etc... I don't want to get paint on my good table - as this would then hamper my "ground"...
Cool idea. How big is it?

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 PM

I personally love the first blue leg with big azz Wilton (the ONLY vise to own) design... I like the kick-out for the vise.. and it has power down a leg and the top is killer and the leg design is sturdy without being ridiculous. I never have an opinion either...

When looking at some of the others - there are a couple that are all top and no legs - and one that is all legs and no top... and one that looks like swiss cheese... letting everything fall thru that can... and if you welded to it - the threads will get bunged up... ditto if you hammer on it... and you need to be able to pound on a table like this. You try dragging or schunching (a made up word) a rear end or heavy part on a table like that - the holes will scratch it or hang it up - and the part will damage the threads...

I don't like a "back" on a table like this... it will, at some point, interfere with what you're working on... you need to be able to move pieces in all directions - and they have to be able to hang over in all directions.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Great info G !

Have you seen the table Jesse James has ?? OMG ! $10,000 just for the table - and he's spent more then that for all his jigs/fixtures/clamps and such.

Jim

Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ View Post
Cool idea. How big is it?
It's 3' X 3'.... The grates are made out of 3/8" X 2" and are 1' X 3' --- so I bought 3 of them and made a square table out of it...

So get this --- I paid $5 (FIVE DOLLARS) for each grate... they weigh 120 POUNDS each and were brand spanking new. I think I could have scrapped them and made money! I'll post up a picture.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Dog 65 View Post
Great info G !

Have you seen the table Jesse James has ?? OMG ! $10,000 just for the table - and he's spent more then that for all his jigs/fixtures/clamps and such.

Jim
Yes - but he's earning a living using it -- we're not.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

I never have an opinion either...
THAT's why we like you !

Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Boy, it would be nice to have a 3D model of that beast!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmmm.

Or you could use an old school desk and a pice of sheet metal like I do!

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works