Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

both ECMs are great with the newest ones being better. The older ones will be cheaper and easier to deal with though.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 01-21-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgvettes View Post
as I'm starting from Scratch (don't have any computer etc.) is there any benefit to have one or the other? 24 or 58 gear reluctor?
if you dont have sensors, wiring harness, crank and such you propably want to considder your budget and options carefully.. you might very well find that either a crate motor or a carbed setup is the way to go... there are some cheap engine combos (6.0 bottom end with l92 heads, carb and cam) that will make upwards of 600 hp at relatively small money...

the 6.0 has a 4 inch bore that will allow you to take advantage of the awesome flow in the l92 (ls3 style) heads... and a heads and cam package with cnc ported l92 heads, springs, valvejob, pushrods AND a custom cam that works with stock pistons will run you 1800 bucks and put you at 600 Hp easy...

a sock l92 intake is prety cheap and the 6.0 comes with all sensores, wires, computer etc etc if you get the right salvage engine....

or you can install a vic.jr intake with a carb and not have to dink arround with all the efi stuff...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 AM

well the 5.3/4L60E is for my 63 Nova Convertible that is going to be a cruizer PT style 350-400 horse and is more then enough for it and I wanted to use the 5.3 so I can say I have a 327 in it LOL. My 68 Camaro is definetely getting much bigger motor with L92 heads, that car I'm looking at 550+ horse. Even starting from scratch building a 5.3 is much much cheaper then building a 6.2 or bigger motor. The 5.3 will be built with all factory parts (I got good contacts on getting a lot of the parts cheap also) The 5.3 will easily cost me less then half of what the 6.2 for the Camaro will cost. (I'm talking basic motors here)
obviously computer, harness etc are pretty much the same price for any LS motor no matter what you run so I totally see where your coming from there.

Tonny
Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Have you thought about picking up a drop out motor from one of the bigger wrecking yards on line? For about 1300 bucks or less you can get a complete low mile 5.3 iron block motor with the entire EFI system, computer and harness, front drive set up and all acces. Just a thought. Then do what you want with the heads and intake and cam.
I think one of the stock(close to 300hp) motors with an upgraded intake (that also fits under your hood) with a set of headers is going to be plenty of power to get your nova hauling ass in a hurry. If you look you can also get one with a transmission and it's controller for not much more. This would sure beat building from scratch and take a lot of the guess work out with the different computers, sensors, reluctor,.....you get what I am saying.
You could have the motor, trans, computers, fuel system, all mounted and running in the car for under 3k.

EDIT: Another reason for this is that you can have a 300hp motor all done cheap and never have to open the block. Mine is going on 175k in my truck with out ANY troubles. And 160 k of that was on the original spark plugs too. I am also running the original untouched transmission. Mine is a 2000 model 4x4 Silverado. So, why not? Bullet proof drivetrain for dirt cheap.

1970 Camaro.....on the road someday!

Last edited by 70rs; 01-21-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs View Post
Have you thought about picking up a drop out motor from one of the bigger wrecking yards on line? For about 1300 bucks or less you can get a complete low mile 5.3 iron block motor with the entire EFI system, computer and harness, front drive set up and all acces. Just a thought. Then do what you want with the heads and intake and cam.
I think one of the stock(close to 300hp) motors with an upgraded intake (that also fits under your hood) with a set of headers is going to be plenty of power to get your nova hauling ass in a hurry. If you look you can also get one with a transmission and it's controller for not much more. This would sure beat building from scratch and take a lot of the guess work out with the different computers, sensors, reluctor,.....you get what I am saying.
You could have the motor, trans, computers, fuel system, all mounted and running in the car for under 3k.
what he said!