Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Trucks
User Name
Password

Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Default Beadlock Wheels DIY

Since it is almost time to start driving this 72 Blazer around (I purchased it from a guy who had let it sit for 15 years), I needed to put tires on it.

I decided to run BFG KM2s in 35/12.5/15.

Since I intend to air down on trails, I decided to build up a set of beadlock wheels.

I bought 5 Summit "Soft-8" steelies in 15x8 and a set of weld-on beadlocks from Chassis Unlimited. (With the additional width because of the beadlock, it is like running about a 9" wide rim).

Since they are local to me, I was able to stop by Chassis Unlimited during my lunch hour and watch them cut my parts on their laser table:

First I had to prep the wheels by removing paint/powdercoat from the rim lip with a flap disc where the inner beadlock rings are to be welded:

Also stripped paint from the opposite side of the lip, since the paint/powdercoat smokes and stinks to high heaven when it burns

Then the inner ring is ready to weld in:

I welded in stages, about 5" of bead at a time, alternating to different sections of the wheel to keep things from getting too hot

Then welded on the anti-coning rings (these prevent the force of the bolts from bending the outer clamping ring into an inverted "cone" when they are torqued down) - followed by a little paint

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310

Last edited by rwhite692; 06-05-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Then muscled the inside bead of the wheel into the tire with the help of a pry bar and a little soapy water (easy) Then flipped it over and put in my dynamic balancing media (AKA 200g of competition grade airsoft pellets). Also added a little bit of 3M 5200 sealant in the bead clamping area for good measure (probably unnecessary)

Then started the fun part - installing the outer clamping ring and 32 bolts/washers/nylock nuts. Luckily for me, I was able to enlist a couple of handy helpers:

Then torqued and re-torqued all of the bolts to the recommended 18 ft.lbs

Then came the moment of truth - Airing up the tires and seating the inner side bead. Having never done this before, I was not sure what to expect. Turned out to be a no-drama exercise. After soaping up the inner bead of the tire and rim lip, I connected a ball air chuck with retainer clip to the valve stem, and while airing up, flipped the tire over and with just a little foot pressure on the rim center, the tire bead sealed to the rim, and began to inflate. After about 60 seconds, the inner bead seated with *POP* and that was that. It only takes about 8-10 psi in the tire to get the bead seated.

Aired up to 35 PSI and no leaks after a week, so I'm happy. These wheels are bomb-proof.

The truck is sitting low in front in these pics, due to the sagging front springs:

Next Project is a DIY4x4.com Shackle flip for the rear to get rid of the lift blocks, and installing new springs up front, along with a little fender trimming.

My seats are at a local upholstery shop getting a low-buck makeover, should have them back next week.

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Really dig them and great work!!!! I love the early Blazers! How is she driving with the beads?

I am re-installing a couple tires this week, (I re-centered some H1 wheels), and those suckers are heavy!

Gui
Old 06-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post
Then flipped it over and put in my dynamic balancing media (AKA 200g of competition grade airsoft pellets).

So how is your dynamic balancing media working?

Cool Blazer, I had a '71 K5 a few years ago.

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP Youtube