Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2020, 07:25 PM

Default LSA in 1st gen alternator clearance

I was fitting my LSA in the 68 camaro yesterday. Has hooker mounts. Worst problem is the alternator in the stock position does need to have the crossmember notched but the stud on the back of the alternator will hit the motor mount. I am not crazy about a complete front drive but wanted to hear what guys used in either front drives with good blower pulley pulley wrap or a good bracket to move alternator. Looks like most move it above the power steering pump. Or is there a smaller alternator that doesn't have the hot terminal causing a problem
Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 05-05-2020, 06:43 AM

I have an LSA with the speedtech subframe. I think their motor mounts allows your to mount to the factory 3 bolt location on the original frame. I have this mount and the speedtech motor plates with no clearance issues around the stud.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...YaAo3HEALw_wcB

I like the OEM CTS-V accessory drive configuration.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:55 AM

I went through all this when the holley mounts first came out. Long story short the LSA accessory drive will not fit with the stock subframe and those mounts without major modifications. You could run a corvette accessory drive for the power steering and alternator but getting the A/C compressor to fit is really though. I ended up going with a concept one setup.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:22 AM

I have a vintage air mount for the ac that needs a minimal notch in the crossmember, the alternator is a far worse problem.

I have looked at concept 1, lsx for just the alternator power steering pump side and wegner. I really like how compact the wegner is but is says only 10 pounds off boost.
cwylie have you had any problems with the blower slipping the belt??
Old 05-11-2020, 10:30 PM

You might look into the Chevrolet Performance Parts "Modified" LSA Front Engine Accessory Drive Kit which swaps the Alternator and PS Pump locations to mimic the Vette accessory drive. That is what I will be using with my LSA install, then either the VA Low Mount AC or Dirty Dingo Low Mount AC.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave95z28 For This Useful Post:
dhutton (05-12-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave95z28 View Post
You might look into the Chevrolet Performance Parts "Modified" LSA Front Engine Accessory Drive Kit which swaps the Alternator and PS Pump locations to mimic the Vette accessory drive. That is what I will be using with my LSA install, then either the VA Low Mount AC or Dirty Dingo Low Mount AC.

Dave
The problem with those mounts the engine will sit higher than holley and cause you to cut the hood even with a 2 inch cowl. With the holley mounts it sits nice and low but you cant run a low mount alternator or a/c compressor. I have had my concept one setup to 12 psi without any issues. Im actually considering selling if anyone is interested. I want to go with a Kong 2650 which I would need a dedicated drive setup for sure on.