Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2020, 02:22 AM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Exclamation Nashville tornado

An F3 beast came through our area last night, as I'm sure most have seen on the news. The loss of lives and the damages in the area are stunning. I was burning the midnight oil at the shop, and yeah, the weather got punky around midnight. The power went out shortly thereafter, so had to pull out the generator and run cables all over the place. Heavy winds and rain didn't phase me, but when the hail started in I started to get that bad feeling. After about an hour of that, things calmed down with a sigh of relief.

BUT, I found out a short while later that the **** really hit the fan just a short few miles from us. I40 and 840 are closed, businesses and homes all ripped to shreds - major mess. We are lucky that our area was right on the boundary edge of the F3 beast, and none of our crew were directly impacted. Some couldn't come in because of all of the road closures, some spent hours working their way through the ride to work. Our power is now back on, but communications are still out (using my cell phone as a mobile hotspot for the time being).

I haven't heard from everybody I know in the area, so I'm still a little concerned, though likely OK. God Bless all that have lost a loved one, or injured, or displaced with their homes leveled. We have been here 11 years now (previously from Detroit), and have observed a few F1's here and there, though this F3 makes me want to build an under ground emergency shelter now. Short term, our building is only rated for 90 MPH, and have thought about taking cover in our minivan inside of the building wondering how that might do...

Soooo.... Anybody that experienced this nasty event last night was likely caught very much off guard - scary to have something like this sneak up on you in the dark. My prayers genuinely go out to all affected - sigh...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ee/4937297002/

Paul M. Clark <-- the Ukrainian - Slava Ukraini !
Founder / Master Engineer
Hydratech Braking Systems ®
www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 03-13-2020, 03:42 PM

Yeah, my brother and sister in law live in Mt Juliet. they weren't hit and very lucky. A lot of damage throughout the area though.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Father in law is in Mt Juliet also, several big trees down across his street blocking access for a while but his house was spared.

Jeff-
Old 03-15-2020, 09:43 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Paul glad you and your family are OK and all the others with family in the area did OK. Thoughts and prayers go to all affected by this.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:37 AM

Paul,
Glad to hear you made it though the tragic storm system. I live in Central Florida and plan on moving in a couple of years. Me and my wife have been thinking about going further North to some bordering states but I keep looking at the weather patterns broadcast on the news and it seems as though Alabama, Tenn., Georgia all keep getting these nasty storm systems moving across that region. I guess its probably no different than dealing with our Hurricanes here, but at least we get a warning weeks in advance for those. We had a F3 tornado come through our town in Feb 98' killing 25 ( and it too was in the dark 1 am ) and it was devastating.
We have some relatives and friends living a little south of Nashville and were grateful they weren't affected. A storm shelter is gonna be a must at our next resident. How does a shelter in the side of a mountain sound?

BB
Old 03-17-2020, 07:45 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Thumbs down Just when the tornado mess passes...

Just when the tornado mess passes, now the Coronavirus panic.

Are we having fun yet?

I look at the hurricane activities down there and they seem to be considerably more problematic than a rare twister. People down south wanting to move further north, people up north wanting to move further south - seems like every area has its own problems. Aside from this recent twister, I can't complain, as the weather is rather moderate. June, July, and August get hot and muggy, but I haven't missed leaving my snowblower and shovel back up in Detroit. I spent the first 40 years of my life in the grey freezing gloom of northern winters - sucks when I fly back up there for Christmas (reminds me of why I moved to Nashville).

A storm shelter in the side of a mountain? Heck ya man, just make sure you have enough room to put your ride in there too! It can literally be your modern day man cave

Paul M. Clark <-- the Ukrainian - Slava Ukraini !
Founder / Master Engineer
Hydratech Braking Systems ®
www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 03-18-2020, 08:49 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bowtie View Post
A storm shelter is gonna be a must at our next resident. How does a shelter in the side of a mountain sound?

BB
How about finding a Big Cave?

Old 03-19-2020, 03:14 AM

I could live in that,
BB