Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Default Custom Door Panel Help

Can someone point me in the right direction with how to make custom door panels for my 70 nova? I love the look of the marquez and fesler stuff but 1100 dollars for door panels is a bit out of my league (not to mention they dont make it for my car anyway) and I would like something to keep me busy.

Do i use the original window felts? Do i make them out of foam then make a mold of it or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Jeff
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM

Now I was looking around a while ago & found this post, but the pictures are now missing, but the comments make it seem like it turned out well

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums....php?p=1167395
Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM

My dad does upholstery work and he suggests on these cars that you start with the upper metal part off factory panels (I see it's mentioned in the last post in the thread). On some cars that wouldn't apply, for example I think early mustangs are basically a flat panel with no upper part that covers up that ugly area at the top. For a Nova, you'd want to start with the metal.

I believe he uses Luan board then foam and then the materal, already sewn into whatever pattern. You can use less or more foam in areas to give it dimension or to account for things like the door handle/window cranks, and also in the area for an arm rest.

For something closer to what the aftermarket has you'd probably build up a complete mold out of hard foam (like the green garden foam), on top a door. Basically building a mold for the panels. There are a lot of fiberglass websites that detail how to create a mold that you can use to make a part. You'll understand why the aftermarket fiberglass door panels are priced the way they are pretty quickly this way.

Last edited by realcoray; 01-08-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm not trying to discourage you but by the time you make your own masters and then take molds from them you will easily reach the costs these guys are asking for panels. I wish someone made panels for chevelles when I stared on mine, I may have saved money . Unless you get it perfect the first time there will be wasted materials and alot of trial and error. I have too much invested to turn around now. This may help your decision.
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10123
Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 AM

wow guys, thank you so much for the responses. this is way more of an undertaking than i could have ever imagined and definitely makes me realize why such panels are priced the way they are with out a doubt. though, it is nice to be able to say you did it yourself. i may give it a whirl but my have to bow out and fork up the money when the time comes.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 chevelle View Post
I'm not trying to discourage you but by the time you make your own masters and then take molds from them you will easily reach the costs these guys are asking for panels. I wish someone made panels for chevelles when I stared on mine, I may have saved money . Unless you get it perfect the first time there will be wasted materials and alot of trial and error. I have too much invested to turn around now. This may help your decision.
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10123
amazing work. i may have to PM you with some questions when the time comes to start working on my own if that's ok.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 AM

Feel free. I would be glad to help.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM

do a search on youtube and see how the custom shops are making panels. if you dont plan on making a bunch, i dont see a reason to make molds. plus, if you want a stock style its pretty simple and wont take up much time.

for the more advanced stuff, most guys are making a base panel out of mdf and then stretching fabric over that panel in the areas they want depth. put a little resin on the fabric and you have a pretty stout piece. cover that in a thin layer of foam and then stretch your final material and youre close to done.

it still will take a LOT of work if you want a detailed part, but it can be done.
Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels ; Kore3 ; SC&C
Build Thread : https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=widowmaker
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The WidowMaker View Post
do a search on youtube and see how the custom shops are making panels. if you dont plan on making a bunch, i dont see a reason to make molds. plus, if you want a stock style its pretty simple and wont take up much time.

for the more advanced stuff, most guys are making a base panel out of mdf and then stretching fabric over that panel in the areas they want depth. put a little resin on the fabric and you have a pretty stout piece. cover that in a thin layer of foam and then stretch your final material and youre close to done.

it still will take a LOT of work if you want a detailed part, but it can be done.
im definitely only planning on making one set. i just figured making the mold would be smart if needed to replace one or something. I guess now my question would be how to attach it to the door without having exposed screws or stuff like that
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM

70 chevelle is the man and has given me some advice and many ideas with his pictures. hopefully he will chime in with some answers for you.

but, i still dont see the need to worry about replacement panels. making a mold is a crap load of work and i just dont want to invest that much time. my basic frame will be mdf with a lot of material removed to save weight. then im going to do as i said above and just stretch fabric over it and apply some resin. i will probably come back and do a little glass work on the back to reinforce some areas. the goal is to do it with the least amount of sanding possible.

all of this will be negated for me if marquez comes out with their chevelle interior in the next 4 months or so.

Tim
Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels ; Kore3 ; SC&C
Build Thread : https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=widowmaker