Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-03-2006, 02:29 PM

Default 65 Porsche w C5 Drive

Hi everyone !

New kid on the block. Found the site recently - like an oasis in the desert !!! I've really enjoyed looking at all your sites and reviewing the Forums - some really awsome people and projects.

Here's a new twist for you to think about. I have a 65 356 Porsche coupe - and I'm in the process of installing a 2002 C5 drivetrain and suspension under it. I have to build a custom perimeter box frame - with a tube backbone so I can lower the car down. (Kinda like the Sniper that Troy did a while back) I also have to split the car and widen it 10 inches to get the torque tube down the middle. I'm sure I'll upset the 356 crowd - they call these Outlaw cars. Hope they will see it as an interesting use of the car.

I have the parts, the frame jig is done, and I'm starting to layout the suspension cradles/parts so I can determine where the upper A-arms pickups go. Does anyone know the factory suspension measurements that would help me figure out the proper placement of the upper ?? (not the alignments specs) I've read some of the threads where some people just install them to look good and don't worry about how it works at the limits - but I'd like to really make it work too ! Any help would be appreciated !!

Enjoy !!

Jim
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Welcome to the site.....

-Paul

https://www.facebook.com/Dutchboyshotrods
Old 07-03-2006, 02:48 PM

Hello Jim!!

Welcome aboard! I think you have a wery professional looking project going on ! Please keep posting pictures of its progress. I love this forum,lots of hi tech cars coming together.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard, Jim. That's a cool project. Talk about unique!

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 07-03-2006, 09:53 PM

Default wow

Man that thing is cool. I have been building a truck with all C6 stuff. The C5 is almost the same. You know you talked about widening the body but why don't you just narrow the track width so it is all in the stock body dimensions. Just a thought, I got my Track width down to 60" ( from 68") I know you could get an inch or 2 more if needed. By getting rid of the cradles you can set the ride height pretty low and have tons of ground clearance. Man your shop looks super professional. I look forward to seeing more on your project. If you need some help with anything let me know. I could almost write a book with all I have learned from building mine, but I can't spell and my hands are to big so I hunt and peck the works out. My project is listed under C6-57. it should......... be at sema this year.

Rodger
Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Your Truck !!

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the kind words !

I have been tracking your project for a while dude. I actually have a book in the shop with pictures of other peoples' rides (many from Lat-G) that are doing simular projects like what I'm attempting. I have several of your truck chassic picts that I've been refering to as a guide - thanks ! That will be soooo cool - keep up the great work and I can't wait to see the deal on the road ! GOOD Luck at SEMA you lucky dog ! (wish I could get in there ...)

The reason for splitting the car is because on 356 Porsches - the pax and drive seats are literally touching. In order to get the torque tube down the middle - I'll need to widen the car at least 10 inches to seperate the seats. Other then that - I really don't need the stock vette track width. If I widen the car as stated - the stock vette track width is just right. I might shorthen it a bit so I can get a slightly deeper lip on the face of the wheels just for appearance - but the stock Porsche turbo wheels don't have much anyway.

One of my main problems is lowering the steering rack down so I can move the engine forward and over the rack. I have an LS1 front sump pan from a GTO that will let me move it forward - to gain some foot well space if needed. Once I get the upper arms set in their stock locations - I'm ready to set the body on the jig and start cutting !

Thanks !!
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2006, 05:29 AM

My friend, you are a very sick man! That is one sweet project! Where are you located?

Keep sending more pics!
Shiny Side Up!
Bill
’72 442 “Inamorata”
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM

You might want to look at my Cuda set up. We used a direct drive dragster can with a Lenco main drive so we could run a driveshaft instead of the torque tube. We also ran the exhaust in the tunnel with the driveshaft sitting over them. We have 5" of ground clearance on a car that sits lower than most guys with 2" or so. Since it's a transaxle you can get by with a 3" or smaller shaft. It's a little noiser than a torque tube but it saves a lot of space and makes maintenance a lot easier. BTW are you cutting up that cute little sunroof car?

Last edited by bob johnson; 07-04-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Supporting Member

What will the Porsche Purists think!!!!!!!

Thats an awesome idea. I love those old porsches, from the late 50's up to mid 60's!

Welcome to the site!

Tim
Old 07-04-2006, 10:58 AM

That is the coolest cross-breeding I have ever seen. Awesome project!!