Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 PM

Default 69 Camaro Rear Brake Conversion with Mini Tub Kit

My camaro has rear drum brakes; I would like to convert to disc brakes.

Details: My current rear set up has a dse mini tub kit installed, complete with offset shackles, rear crossmember support for shocks to be repositioned inside of the leaf spring. The leaf springs have a 2" drop. A DSE narrowed gas tank is also installed.
I have a 12 bolt rear with posi. I have not removed the back casing to see whether it has a C clip eliminator.

Question: I am looking at different options from wilwood to american brand conversion kits. I do need to have the parking brake, and want to know the following.

1. do I need to have a disc brake with a drum combo to accommodate the parking brake? Brakes seen here http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...o=140-11398-DR

1a. Does installing this add more of a positive wheel offset, adding more back spacing by pushing the brake assembly further out towards the street?

1b. Does installing this kit give me everything I need to convert from drum to disc, appears the calliper attaches to the drum assembly (Refer to image below).

2. I assume that since I have the DSC mini tub kit installed, I do not have to worry about staggered shocks?

3. This is an example of the american brand rear brakes. Will these accommodate a parking brake (i assume no?)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-10-12-Bo...BSw3Iw&vxp=mtr

4. Lastly, I have not fully decided whether I want narrow my rear end (to accommodate larger rear tires), and if I do, does that change anything with the install of which conversion kit i use.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:30 PM

My bird is mini tubbed has the stock LS1 F-body rear brakes 12"x1" rotors no need to worry about shock stagger and they bolt on 10-12 bolt housing ends I didn't use a spacer like some say are needed to center the rotor in the caliper.
biggest issues were figuring out parking brake cables and adapting the brake lines
simple cheap and effective
90 Formula / Firehawk clone
1999 Firehawk
1969 Chevelle SS 396

Last edited by ZMAN1969; 04-20-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM

Reach out to Tobin at Kore3.com (sponsor on this site), he can answer all your questions and set you up with a package that will work.

1968 Camaro SS