Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-13-2018, 09:32 AM

That is going to look great as it all goes back together, nice work!!
Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 PM

This build is so full of win! Great job man!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 AM

I really can't wait to see the finished product. I too, have a third gen that I would like to go with the Pro Touring direction. Looks great so far! Keep it up!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2paz View Post
car is looking great and really coming along..not sure what your settled on for cam choice? but GM makes the "hot cam" designed for the motor if you're looking for a small step up.
Thanks for the compliments! I ended up sticking with the cam that is in there already. I did my best to measure the specs with my dial indicator and it has a bit more lift and more duration than stock.... gonna stick with it for now.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
Looks great! Nice job on the prep, paint and color choice. Sometimes less is more. It's always the best feeling when you get to put stuff back together for final assembly and everything's nice and clean! Keep up the good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post
Thumbs up!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Good job. I think the color choice for the engine bay is spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
Nice job, looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
That is going to look great as it all goes back together, nice work!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
This build is so full of win! Great job man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyZ28 View Post
I really can't wait to see the finished product. I too, have a third gen that I would like to go with the Pro Touring direction. Looks great so far! Keep it up!
Thanks for all the compliments! Can't wait to start putting parts back on the car...
Old 08-12-2018, 08:46 PM

No real progress on the car unfortunately in the last few weeks. I've been swamped with some busy summer weekends and lots of projects around the house. However, I was able to attend the UMI Performance autocross event this weekend. The event was hosted at the new UMI Motorsports Park in Clearfield, PA. UMI purchased an abandoned 1/2 mile oval and are in the process of turning it into an awesome facility for autocross, road racing and testing their products. The place looks awesome and the whole crew at UMI did a great job reviving the old track. Since my car is in pieces, I volunteered to help out and shag cones for the weekend. I was happy to be a part of the event, and very motivated to attend next year with my own car!

One of the highlights of the weekend for me was meeting was meeting Valerie and Tom aka owners of the "Dragonlady GTA". I've been a big fan of this car since I bought my 3rd gen, and seeing it in person for the first time was awesome. Valerie and Tom are even more awesome and I talked to them for quite a while about the car and how they travel around going to so many events each year. Valerie even took me for a ride around the autocross course while Tom covered my cones for me, what a guy!

On Friday night, we got to tour the UMI facility. Another awesome experience... being an engineer myself it was cool to get to see all the tooling, jigs and drawings they use for each individual component to ensure quality and repeatability.

Some more third gen pics I grabbed:

I'm fired up now to get back to working on my car! I have a couple of free weekends coming up so my next post will hopefully be lots of updates!
Old 08-12-2018, 08:52 PM

Some more pics:

Brian Finch was there with his Camaro and it was amazing watching him throw it around the course. Him and Sam Strano were battling it out for top time of the day... man these guys can fly! They're on the gas the whole time!
Old 08-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks like a fun time! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 08-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Heard so much about that event even while I was at CAM East this weekend. Hopefully they can get their schedules arranged so that they don't overlap next year. Really like the whole UMI team and I had a lot of other friends in attendance there as well, they all gave glowing reviews of the whole event.

It does get the blood flowing seeing these cars perform in person, doesn't it?
Old 09-09-2018, 06:24 PM

Ok I finally have a bit of an update! I've been very busy in August with lots of weekend plans and other jobs going around the house but I managed to make a bit of progress on the engine.

First, I worked on getting the fuel rails back together. I had already disassembled, cleaned and painted them so now was time for reassembly. My next step was rebuilding the fuel pressure regulator with a kit I got from Holley. The rebuild itself was pretty straightforward, except for the fact that I needed to buy some special Torx drivers to get the small perimeter bolts out

If you remember a while back, the fuel injectors I had on my car are the blue Ford 24lb injectors. I sent them off to be cleaned, rebuilt and flow tested at SouthBay Fuel Injectors. They tested them before and after the rebuild and it turns out they weren't too bad to start with, as only 2 injectors showed a slightly lower flow rate than the others. They are all nice and consistent now though:

It took me a little while to remember how the small clips that hold the injectors into the fuel rail worked but once I got the trick they slid right in. You need to install the clip beforehand on the injectors, then rotate it once the injector is installed to lock it into place.
Pre-Assembly:

Fuel Injector to Rail Install:

Before I could install the fuel rails onto the intake base, I needed to install the runners for the Super Ram. I ordered a new bolt kit from Hawks but some of them needed to be cut down so they didn't bottom out in some of the blind holes. There were also a few Allen head fasteners I needed to reuse in the lower sections of the runners where there's no room for a Torx head. She's on though!

New 160deg thermostat, gasket and painted neck and bolts went on as well:

Here is where she sits today: