Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 PM

Default New Guy with a 'Bird in the ATL

New guy here.

The name is Wyatt, and I just bought my first "Sports Car". It's an '88 Pontiac Firebird named Phoenix (My girlfriend named the car). I don't know If I can truly call the car a Sports Car, as it's missing 2 cylinders and a left peddle. Anyways, on with the specifications. The car is White (WA3967) and currently has a 2.8L V6 making 135 HP backed by a power sucking 700R4 trans along with rear drum brakes. It's the base model for 1988.

I stumbled upon the car while cruising Craigslist. I wasn't planning on buying a project right now, but the price was right and the car seemed to be solid from the photos. I also noticed another mid 80's Firebird parked behind the car. The add claimed that the car ran and drove, but needed some TLC and a few little things to get to a daily driving status.

The car will need more than some TLC. The seller mentioned that the brake resovoir will not hold brake fluid due to a small leak. Speaking of leaks, there are at least a million oil leaks. Did I mention that the Odometer in the car reads north of 200K? Also, the car is FILTHY, inside and out. It isn't the worst that I have seen, but the carpet and seats are shot, along with the headliner. There is one last, loud, thing. One of the previous owners cut the exhaust off just after the catalytic converter. To make matters worse, there is a gaping hole in the exhaust just before the catalytic converter. I'm just thankful that the car isn't orange with a 01 painted on the side

Despite the negatives and the lack of a couple cylinders and having a gear selector that only moves up and down, there are a few positives about the car. First is the condition of the body. This car is almost rust free!! The only spot of rust is under the battery, and it is very minor. The rockers, bottom of the doors, rear quarters, and rear hatch area are all rust free, not even surface rust. It is amazing for a 30 year old car that has been used and abused as much as this car has.

The next thing is that the car actually runs and drives!!! (Well, sorta). The car did start and move back and forth. However, the brake peddle is extremely soft, and only engages near the floor. Fortunately, it was enough to stop the car while backing it off of the tow truck.

The paint is in OK shape overall. There is some cracking just below the front headlights on the top of the front bumper, along with some pealing beneath the rear spoiler. Amazingly, the Firebird decals are still present on the nose and both B Pillars. I think most of the paint will clean up decently for a car that will spend the rest of the summer outside. It does have an aftermarket fiberglass hood that has decent paint, along with the original hinges and latch ketch.

The last positive, or possible negative, is that the car does have an aftermarket pop-up sunroof that does not leak. Actually, there is no signs of water damage inside of the car. There would have been clear indication with the amount of rain that Georgia has seen in the past month. And to beat it all, the power windows roll up and down.

The immediate plan for the car is to get it running and driving safely. The car is located at a local mechanic shop, who will inspect the brakes, and at the very minimum, will replace the rubber brake lines due to likely being the originals from three decades ago. Next will be dissembling the steering column to tighten up the tilt section. These are notorious for working loose over time. Once those are complete, the prop valve spring will be swapped out for a stiffer spring, giving the car a more balanced braking feel. These cars are known to have poor rear braking, not even enough to stop the rear wheels from rotating at idle while on jack stands.

The long term plan is to go a Pro-Touring / Grand Touring route with the car. I am looking for an all around "do it all" car. I want well balanced, comfortable car for cruising down the interstate on a long road trip, will run 11's at the drag strip, and have decent turn in and corner speed at Road Atlanta. I also want a car that is dependable enough to drive to the office on a nice sunny day, in a plaid suit, with Aviators, and the stereo up blasting Def Leppard ... and yes, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy.

The overall theme will be a throw back to the 80's, with Trans Am ground effects and a dark blue (WA8751), Gunmetal bottom (WA7782) paint scheme. The car will appear to be an '86 or '87 Trans Am. The 80's theme will continue into the car with stock appearing, light gray interior. However, I do want better supporting, more comfortable seats. I am eyeing a set of Procar Rally light gray velour seats.

There you have it. It is the current state and outline of the car that will become known as Phoenix. All suggestions and comments are welcome, and if anyone is in the Atlanta area, let me know if you ever get the itch to dive elbow deep into an filthy engine bay.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...KnlD5cRMUbS2Au

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...-iDhtyz4qekh0q

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...NoZtlRBtinnsag

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...WlQcCpqhWeqinX

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...XCMyqbn0JyCfNI
Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome to the board. Although, I cannot see your pics...sounds like a fun project.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM

Welcome and good luck with the project. Be sure to take a look at DSE's IROC if you'd like some inspiration. We also have a few other members building 3rd gens.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 02-22-2018, 07:42 PM

Let me know if you guys can see the pictures.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 PM

I can see them...thanks!! Looks to be a good start. Keep us updated.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 PM

Thanks guys for the support. I FINALLY figured out how to post pictures.

Update: I receive a package today from my favorite cheap car parts website.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG]

Its new flexible rubber brake lines and a fuel filter. I know I know, its not stainless steel brake lines. However, the goal is to get the car running and driving safely while staying within the budget. Hopefully the car is back on the road by next weekend. I also ordered my first "mod" for the car yesterday, and I will be posting a picture and explaining it when the part arrives. (Hint: it's cheap and easy).
Old 02-25-2018, 01:35 PM

Hey Guys,

There hasn't been much progress with the car over the past few days because the mechanic is backed up, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been busy buying parts.

I decided to go to a self removal parts yard to pull a set of seats out of a 4th Gen Camaro, and I Stumbled upon a Miracle.

[IMG][/IMG]

Something Told me to look around the yard, and I found this mislabeled 1989 Firebird setting just a couple rows over from the Camaro. These do not show up very often at self pulling parts yards.

This car had everything that I needed. I ended up removing the rear lower back seats, the driver's side headlight motor, and the rear hatch pull down motor. Even though I do not need the instrument trim panel, It was in to good of shape for the crusher. Here are photos of the haul for the day.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG]

I also found this gem in a 1987 Caviler RS setting beside of the Firebird.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have no idea if it works, but it will at least fill the gaping hole in the middle of the console.

That's The latest update on the car.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Well, my gut was telling me something wasn't right today.

So I went to check on the car... and found a puddle.
A puddle of water. In the floor. From the Sunroof.

Well, that is one more thing on the list to tackle.
At least I found a place online that sells all of the gaskets.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAttack View Post
Well, my gut was telling me something wasn't right today.
So I went to check on the car... and found a puddle.
A puddle of water. In the floor. From the Sunroof.
https://mykitchenadvisor.com/best-juicer-for-greens/
Well, that is one more thing on the list to tackle.
At least I found a place online that sells all of the gaskets.

Bad news...

Last edited by Marcel Wechsler; 12-05-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:01 PM

Welcome. Looks like you're off to a good start, if you can just keep all the fluids where they're supposed to be. Please keep us posted as you move forward.

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!