Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Community Events
User Name
Password

Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams View Post
I hate when Jackson or his other guys are trying to explain cool behind the scenes info about the car on the block, and the idiot speed guys talk over them about stupid crap.
There seems to be more of that this year.... many times the TV turned into unintelligible babble with two people talking at the same time... Really really annoying. And personally -- way too much time being spent pimping the Social Garage thing...
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams View Post
I hate when Jackson or his other guys are trying to explain cool behind the scenes info about the car on the block, and the idiot speed guys talk over them about stupid crap.
Yeah, like I care what the trim tag reads on a custom car!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM

I have to record it and ff through. A cryin' F'n shame that I went through 8hrs of video yesterday morning (on triple ff) and only stopped to look at 3 cars! (there were probably a couple dozen I WANTED to see but wern't shown).

I'm also a little suspicious of all the "charity" stuff going on. It seems like the corprate backed ones get lots of hoopla and high bids and the more basic "honest" charities barely get enough to cover the build. Obviously I don't know a thing about the complexities of it all, and I'm definately not saying the causes arent worthwhile, but it has a smell to it...

Jeff-
Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
I have to record it and ff through. A cryin' F'n shame that I went through 8hrs of video yesterday morning (on triple ff) and only stopped to look at 3 cars! (there were probably a couple dozen I WANTED to see but wern't shown).

I'm also a little suspicious of all the "charity" stuff going on. It seems like the corprate backed ones get lots of hoopla and high bids and the more basic "honest" charities barely get enough to cover the build. Obviously I don't know a thing about the complexities of it all, and I'm definately not saying the causes arent worthwhile, but it has a smell to it...

Jeff-

the actual car may be auctioned for charity but i also wonder how much behind the seens money BJ is collecting. The mustang and corvete charity auctions took almost 30 minutes of time.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 AM

this year seemed real bad. custom prices and cars were high, many original cars were selling way under, and they were wishing we would put them all back stock, and none of them acted like they had any idea all this custom stuff was going on or how it was done. I don't think they get that the new upcoming buyers actually want to DRIVE their cars, not stare at them in a garage. They really need to get a more up to date person in there like when they went to steve magenta (or however you spell it) and got rid of the british dude,
Old 01-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Truthfully, if they didn't have some of the heavy hitters auctioning some very rare cars from their collections, the auction would have been alot different. There were alot of cool cars as usual, but the auction could be shaved down considerably.
I like watching it. 3 days of great cars would be awesome IMO. Less cars would give cars like Charley's and others more time and make it worth the extra they pay to enter. I have to remind myself its a business. Looking forward to next year.

Last edited by Stuart Adams; 01-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM

So did BJ bring back the reserve just to get those rare cars back at there auction?
They also said Charley's car was the only reserve car outside the 5000 number cars.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 PM

Here's my biggest "take away" from this years auction -- the stupid money that was bid -- was most likely NOT borrowed on a home equity line of credit...

So that means it was real money... which to me -- is a very good sign. I don't care you bid stupid money - as long as you actually have it - ya didn't borrow it.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
So did BJ bring back the reserve just to get those rare cars back at there auction?
They also said Charley's car was the only reserve car outside the 5000 number cars.
They brought it back before this auction.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM66 View Post
They brought it back before this auction.
Yeah -- they brought it back because who in their right mind was going to sell a 150K car for 50K -- and the last couple years the bidding was pretty dang poor... so consigners were going elsewhere.

Now -- after this auction - it appears the buyers are back...