Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 03-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Question Trouble Insuring My Corvette

Hey guys this is my first post, I am a new member but have been getting ideas for my corvette for about a year now thanks to all your great post. So here is my issue/problem I am 22 years old and no insurance company will insure my corvette; they say you must be 25. My driving record is clean. It's a 1974 corvette nothing over the top 496 stroker engine, 13" Wilwoods all around, custom wide body etc. I found that Hagerty would insure someone under the age of 25 I called them told them what I have they said I am building a race car and would not be able to insure me. I am really confused about the whole thing. Are there no young people in this hobby or am just I out of luck. Any and all advice would be great.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 PM

why not just try State Farm or Allstate. I've had coverage with both of those companies insuring a old car...
Old 03-25-2009, 03:26 PM

state farm has insured me on everything from camaros to chevelles to bikes.. if you have a clean driving record you should be fine.. just expect to pay around 120+ a month until you turn 25... i now pay 40
Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 PM

They will only give me market value for the car, not what it's actually worth.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

Make sure you get an "Agreed value" policy, NOT "stated value"

I was able to insure my Chevelle when I was under 25, but no insurance company wanted to insure my Model T (seriously, my 20hp 40mph top-speed Model T is the one I couldn't get insurance on ). The "regular" insurers said I needed collector insurance, and the collector insurers said they couldn't insure someone under 25.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 PM

i did agreed value. make sure your actually telling them what the car is worth and not what you think its worth
Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 PM

We have had this problem for a few years with Michael and Project Prodigy and all our other family hot Rods. I have to insure Prodigy in my name until he is 25 Y/O. Geico (regular insurance) will only cover it for book value of $4200, needless to say we cover it for a couple more dollars then Geico's book value!

Michael is insured to drive all our regular cars and trucks on our standard Geico policy. According to our classic car insurance on our Hot Rods, he is not supposed to drive any of our Hot Rods under that insurance policy. In fact he had to sign a drive waiver saying he COULD NOT drive the cars because he still lives in the house.

HOWEVER, there is a interesting angle here. Michael IS covered to drive anything in the shop under our shop insurance. Any car, customer car, truck / trailers, whatever. so..............................

I did however just hear something about Grundy taking 21 Y/Os, so in a few months when Prodigy is up for renewal, maybe Michael can insure it with Grundy
Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 AM

In my experience with the non-specialty insurance companys, you've got to have a daily driver in order to put the higher agreed value "antique" insurance on that vette. Not sure about the under 25, but I don't doubt you'd have problems.... Best of luck-
Old 03-26-2009, 11:57 AM

that may be the case because my camaro isnt my primary on my policy.. just get a pile of crap honda for a couple hundred and make it your primary driver.. make the vet a secondary...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Muscle View Post
that may be the case because my camaro isnt my primary on my policy.. just get a pile of crap honda for a couple hundred and make it your primary driver.. make the vet a secondary...
I have a 99 camaro ss I drive daily I don't know what their problem it’s really annoying. To be honest.