Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I'm with Greg, I don't like anything having a neuce around my neck in life. Smoking is really a life or death decision. I really think you need to figure out WHY you want to quit. If it's not for you, what about family? Do you still have goals you want to accomplish? Once you figure that out, then you need to find a suitable new habit to start weaning yourself off. A mint, gum, toothpick, sunflower seeds, etc...

You need the mental strength to quit as well. Excercise and eating right will move you up a couple rungs upstairs. You have to want it and believe in it.
Another thing I was taught..You will do more for others than you will yourself.

You will quit for your kids, or your wife way before you will do it for yourself.

That is how people are wired..So if your kids or your family are the motivator, then do it for them..But we should be doing it for our life, but sometimes that isn't enough.

Soon to be crazy
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I'm thinking about ordering this cook book. How long have you been using it and what recipes are you using?
his chillie is awesome, I've been following Berardis work for about 10 years now, he's not right on everything, but following his advice is a good start

Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon are good guys to listen to and are more scientifically based that Berardi, but Berardi makes things easy to follow and has a lot of hints to keep you following.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/ berardi's company

As you age you need to add muscle to fight the natural wastage, keep your waist trim as belly fat does nasty things to you, and keep active, sitting down is deadly

get some sleep, have some fun, and try and eat lots of protein and a mix of unmolested veg,fruit,nuts and unrefined carb sources. Keep your total calories to a level where you have enough energy to be active but not too much so as you get fat

don't be scared of fats, but try to get a range of sources, grass fed beef, wild salmon, game, organ meats have all sorts of good stuff in them, take 6g of fish oil every day, Unless you work outdoors half naked take 5000iu of vitamin d and a multivitamin.

Good Luck guys remember there are 3 important things, health, wealth and love get the balance right

Last edited by legend; 07-12-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
his chillie is awesome, I've been following Berardis work for about 10 years now, he's not right on everything, but following his advice is a good start

Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon are good guys to listen to and are more scientifically based that Berardi, but Berardi makes things easy to follow and has a lot of hints to keep you following.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/ berardi's company

As you age you need to add muscle to fight the natural wastage, keep your waist trim as belly fat does nasty things to you, and keep active, sitting down is deadly

get some sleep, have some fun, and try and eat lots of protein and a mix of unmolested veg,fruit,nuts and unrefined carb sources. Keep your total calories to a level where you have enough energy to be active but not too much so as you get fat
I just got their sales pitch, is the course really worth it?

Greg
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Nope, the recipe book is good but the course isn't worth the money, if you have a little willpower

good diet, some weights, some cycling/jogging and away you go.

one of the most interesting guys in the health and fitness world is Dan John

http://danjohn.net/

http://danjohn.net/2012/05/training-...ge-and-beyond/

I only mentioned Berardi as it's fairly low nonsense stuff that would appeal to you guys. I'm not on the payroll.

Trouble with health and fitness is all of the misinformation out there
Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Nope, the recipe book is good but the course isn't worth the money, if you have a little willpower

good diet, some weights, some cycling/jogging and away you go.

one of the most interesting guys in the health and fitness world is Dan John

http://danjohn.net/

http://danjohn.net/2012/05/training-...ge-and-beyond/

I only mentioned Berardi as it's fairly low nonsense stuff that would appeal to you guys. I'm not on the payroll.

Trouble with health and fitness is all of the misinformation out there
Thanks,

I have plenty of will power and passion.

Greg
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Enviroment

I'll give you two examples of changing your enviroment.

Two weeks ago Kelli and I drove a half hour out of town to the Marina for dinner and a few drinks. We have a great table with a view of the lake and mountains. Great enviroment, right? The bar tender has the news blaring througout the place. I stargted to get agitated. Did I really drive all the way out here for this garbage? I got up, popped 5 bucks in the jukebox and ask her if I could turn down the news. So, I went from a horrible experience to playing my favorite music and the news went down to 0 volume. We had a great time.

This morning, I have two community centers around a mile from my house. I hadn't tried the particular center I went to this morning. I walk in and start working out and the news is blaring. There are 6-8 people glued to the TV. I kick ass and work my ass off for .5 hour but it definitely effected my experience. Instead of leaving with my tail between my legs, I walked to the front desk and addressed the staff. "I'd like to make a suggestion." The news is blaring in the fitness facility and that's not the experience I'm looking for when I work out. I'm looking for a positive experience when I work out. How about you turn on a music channel from now on with upbeat music to create a better experience. It definitely motivated a staff member as she got out of her seat and was going to find the facility supervisor. I'm not sure I'll go back because I like the other place better, but I hope they change the ENVIROMENT for the folks that are regulars.

Clearly long term enviroment changes are more crucial but it's the little things in life the add up. You have the power to change your enviroment.

When you work out, find a place you like to go with a positive atmosphere. You want to enjoy the experience. If that's not possible, change it by making suggestions or tuning out the news with some head phones.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the info Legend

I was 182 last night when I got on the scale before I went to bed and 178 this morning. Looks like I'm not really losing any weight since I've gone back to working out again but I know thats due to eating more than I was before.
I'm going to set my goal at a lean, mean 175. A little more muscle and a lot less belly fat.
Going riding today but kick it down to 10 miles. Then I'm going to visit the local gym and start weight training. Its 2 minutes away and only $30/month with no contract......gotta love that!
I think balance is key here......I like to ride for cardio and legs.....but I also want to work on chest, triceps, shoulders, back, and biceps. I may have to cut out my riding bike for leg workout day because adding the gym to my day is going to be putting another activity into my day.
When I weight trained in the past I did legs and shoulders on one day, back and biceps the next, and then chest and triceps the day after that and worked abs every day.
Wish me luck, I'm going to need it in order to stick with it.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatinjay27 View Post
good thread todd! very motivating when you've got a team doing it too.
after my daughter was born i gained the brute of my weight i was 180,highest Ive been is 225 (im 5' 9") 208 right now. I have always been of and on exercising and eating healthy so it constantly fluctuates between 10-15 lbs. i struggle with both exercise (lazy) and nutrition(im a foodie plus i cook pizza and greasy bar food every day!) but this past month Ive been really motivated to change as i totally agree with you that confidence is key and i truly feel thats whats holding me back from getting the shop out of its slump. i want to care but i just dont and i struggle with being positive and seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
but I feel getting healthy and feeling better about myself will really change that!

i really like the idea of a food journal too its will really make you accountable and responsible of what you eat! im gonna start
I'm not sure why this popped in my head.

What about offering a few new HEALTHY OPTIONS on your menu? It's seems to me like it's outside of the box in the Pizza business. Maybe a side salad or a pizza with whole wheat crust, fresh veggies, homemade sauce, etc.

I think this could have two very large compound effects.

1. It may attract a whole new client through your marketing. A more positive client with better health. People will normally pay more to eat healthy if they are in that mindset. Your junk food clients may start ordering the healthy option once in a while and improving their life and your bottom line.
2. It will give you a healthy option for YOURSELF while your at the shop. You eat less junk over time, lose weight, gain confidence.

I wouldn't get rid of your current menu. Add a few things for 6-12 months and see if you can ADD a better clientele.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
Thanks for the info Legend

I was 182 last night when I got on the scale before I went to bed and 178 this morning. Looks like I'm not really losing any weight since I've gone back to working out again but I know thats due to eating more than I was before.
I'm going to set my goal at a lean, mean 175. A little more muscle and a lot less belly fat.
Going riding today but kick it down to 10 miles. Then I'm going to visit the local gym and start weight training. Its 2 minutes away and only $30/month with no contract......gotta love that!
I think balance is key here......I like to ride for cardio and legs.....but I also want to work on chest, triceps, shoulders, back, and biceps. I may have to cut out my riding bike for leg workout day because adding the gym to my day is going to be putting another activity into my day.
When I weight trained in the past I did legs and shoulders on one day, back and biceps the next, and then chest and triceps the day after that and worked abs every day.
Wish me luck, I'm going to need it in order to stick with it.
Gaetano, I'm doing 5 or 6 days and I run one day, and do weights the next. I've been really happy with the results so far. It give your body the rest it needs.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM

as long as it's a different activity you can mix up things on the same day.

I'm shooting you guys a lot of links here, but I've been at this a long time and it helps to cut straight to the chase

For a strength/conditioning workout guide with all of the guesswork taken out, Jim Wendler is a good guy, no nonsense, no flim flam time wasting, just straight to the action. However if you are offended by foul language then he's not the guy for you.

http://store.jimwendler.com/ProductD...de=5312edebook

I'm about 210lb at 6 feet tall today at around 10% body fat

To help you log your workout http://www.fitocracy.com/ is great. My screenname on there is Rigante if you want to follow any of the workouts

I'd use a dressmaking tape measure to check your progress, waist measurement getting smaller is a good guide rather than scale weight