Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2019, 06:23 PM

Just stumbled across your build thread and read the entire thing this afternoon - amazing story, a great read and outstanding work! I’m working on a 63 Nova build myself (just started my build thread a few weeks ago), and our objectives are very similar. I’m definitely going to look into some of the parts that you’ve used - really like the Finch shifter and boot, the Recaros, and will also look into the custom harnesses you purchased. To this point, I’ve been considering the TMI Pro-Villain seats as I’ll likely use the new TMI molded door panels, but I may reconsider as those Recaros look so good. In any event, thanks for the great write up and the inspiration!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
Trans tunnel patch is welded in. I'm really happy with the end result! It seems like such a shame to go cuttin' up all that new sheet metal but if there's one fear I've gotten over, it's the fear of taking a saw, welder or grinder to this thing! Once you've had to drill a couple of holes in a $9,000 subframe, everything else pales in comparison!

I just drilled mine with a few tears for the Holley Blackheart Mounts to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968 Pro touring Camaro
ALL DSE Suspension
2017 6.2L made of steel balls
Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBurns View Post
I just drilled mine with a few tears for the Holley Blackheart Mounts to work

I know, right! Once you're past that point you can drill a hole in just about anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkswede View Post
Just stumbled across your build thread and read the entire thing this afternoon - amazing story, a great read and outstanding work! I’m working on a 63 Nova build myself (just started my build thread a few weeks ago), and our objectives are very similar. I’m definitely going to look into some of the parts that you’ve used - really like the Finch shifter and boot, the Recaros, and will also look into the custom harnesses you purchased. To this point, I’ve been considering the TMI Pro-Villain seats as I’ll likely use the new TMI molded door panels, but I may reconsider as those Recaros look so good. In any event, thanks for the great write up and the inspiration!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! I truly appreciate the kind words and glad I can be an inspiration in the same way so many others on here have been to me. I've been following your build thread as well...what an amazing car you have and that combination of parts/drivetrain will make smiles for miles! I've always had a soft spot for early Chevy II's as my first car was a '66.
As far as the Recaros, if you go that route you won't be sorry. I bought mine from Northstar after having a fiasco with one of the primary vendors for Recaro on this site. They were great to deal with and got me my seats quick but you'd be wise to get them coming (especially at the pace you're moving) if you go that direction. Lead times are usually ugly but they're extremely comfy and worth the price tag IMO.
Keep up the great work and keep the updates coming. Happy to be of assistance in any way I can!

Link to my 68 Camaro build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Link to my 67 Nova build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57769
Old 03-04-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
AAW Classic Update kit going in, ididit steering column fitment, hydraulic clutch installed and pedal modified for proper angle. I went back and forth on the wiring for the wiper motor. I wanted to integrate it into the AAW harness but didn't wanna run the wiper harness over to the fuse block. Instead I opted to run it thru the firewall at the back of the engine. Re-wrapped it in some better Painless Wiring classic wiring wrap. The woven material looks far better and cleaner than the cheap plastic stuff. All of the wiring except what's under the dash will get wrapped in the same stuff. Now to get the brake lines plumbed.

What kind of brake system did you go with? It doesn’t look like hydroboost or is don’t see the booster .... looks awesome and what pedals? Maybe I’m having a dumb moment....

1968 Pro touring Camaro
ALL DSE Suspension
Old 03-04-2019, 09:35 PM

I went with Baer Brakes for everything. I had struggled so long in the past trying to get good brakes so I opted to go with one manufacturer exclusively in an effort to minimize the risk of problems. My setup is a manual Baer Remaster master cylinder with 15/16" bore, 6P 14" front brakes and SS4 12" rear brakes. I'm using the stock pedals and the Remaster adjustable prop valve. I haven't dialed the bias in totally yet but the brakes are really good. I was gonna go power brakes but I've always had manual so figured I'd give it a try since I'd already bought the Remaster parts. I like the feedback I get from the manual brakes as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gmachine1911 For This Useful Post:
NickBurns (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I went with Baer Brakes for everything. I had struggled so long in the past trying to get good brakes so I opted to go with one manufacturer exclusively in an effort to minimize the risk of problems. My setup is a manual Baer Remaster master cylinder with 15/16" bore, 6P 14" front brakes and SS4 12" rear brakes. I'm using the stock pedals and the Remaster adjustable prop valve. I haven't dialed the bias in totally yet but the brakes are really good. I was gonna go power brakes but I've always had manual so figured I'd give it a try since I'd already bought the Remaster parts. I like the feedback I get from the manual brakes as well.

Ok so I am sane ! Thanks for the reply ... I went with the equivalent but Wilwood. I’m just trying to figure out what I want to do with the pedals. I did pick up a McLeod setup for the clutch. I’m using the stock clutch and pressure plate from GM since it’s the same one they use on the ZL1.

1968 Pro touring Camaro
ALL DSE Suspension
Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Gotcha. I ended up staying with the stock pedals and figured as long as I felt like I was able to re-bush/modify them for the clutch MC without having any issues then I'd give it a shot. Worst case, I'd have to upgrade them. So far so good.

NickBurns (03-16-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Any videos of how the car is sounding ?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_camaroRS View Post
Any videos of how the car is sounding ?
Yeah, I've got some but they won't post. I tried doing it thru YouTube but I'll have to bust out the laptop when I get time. It's going to Indy to get tuned on May 4th so I'll try to capture some video on the chassis dyno with my GoPro...my iPhone sound just cuts out instantaneously the second you hit the gas. I guess the speaker gets overloaded. I'm really happy with the Borla mufflers and glad I went 3" all the way.

RdHuggr68 (04-05-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 PM

Ok, so got my magnetic numbers in for the car. Wanted magnets b/c I'm not sure I'd wanna leave them on consistently. I love the look of the "race dress" but I also like the subtle, clean look. I went with silver as I thought it'd complement the car nicely and got some extra numbers in the event someone else is already running my first combo.

For the next topic of discussion, I'd like to hear some feedback from the audience. My plan is to add some vinyl contingency decals to the car in black or silver. I'm personally kinda leaning towards the black vinyl as it goes with the whole subtle theme. The stripe on the car is black and I like the fact that only people looking closely ever see it. Having seen the silver numbers on the car, I'm also now thinking of going with that color. The decals will be tasteful, not over-done and all one solid color but I'm curious what you guys think...let me know.

A buddy of mine has a computer program that he can add the decals to an uploaded pic of the car to help me see it before-hand so we'll see what it looks like either way. Thanks for the input!
Attached Images