Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 AM

Default Project Haircut - Third Gen

This project has sat in the shop for a while back burnered for other projects and work. Time to get serious about finishing it. Let the fun begin!

Old 08-05-2018, 09:55 AM

Default Yeah I had a mullet in the '80's

This car has languished in '80's bad style for too long.

Yes, those are ghost flame racing stripes!

...and that interior!! Looked like a brothel puked inside the car.

I've been joking that I need to beat the '80's off the car with a sledge hammer and cut it's mullet with a chainsaw. Turns out a heated pressure washer, parts cleaner, shop towels and a scraper are the weapons of choice.

This is going to take a while
Old 12-21-2019, 06:27 PM

Smile Paint

The Camaro went to paint today!

We'll bolt up the suspension to get it home from paint and parts are still coming in. I'll post some pictures and details of the suspension once I have everything together.

The Following User Says Thank You to RT_66_Pro_Touring For This Useful Post:
Roscoe03 (12-22-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Keep us updated, please, and good luck with it. I love seeing all these third gens getting built.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 01-03-2020, 09:06 AM

RT 66 bigger pics will help and whats your plans for build powertrain? brakes? suspension? lots of third gen fans out here
90 Formula / Firehawk clone
1999 Firehawk
1969 Chevelle SS 396
Old 01-03-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMAN1969 View Post
RT 66 bigger pics will help and whats your plans for build powertrain? brakes? suspension? lots of third gen fans out here
If you click on the pictures they display larger in postimages.com I'll try to post larger pictures in the future. I do hate it though when you open a thread and the pictures are larger than the screen *BAM*

The goal is a CAM-T, USCA GTL compliant lightweight that solves the inherent problems with the 3rd Gen platform: chassis flex, antiquated steering with anti-ackerman, high unsprung weight, WAY too low front roll center and too high rear.

The car will have (sort of front-to-back) an aluminum Firebird front bumper custom fit to the Camaro, lightweight lithium battery, tubular k-member & a-arms with extended ball joints, power rack and pinion that removes the anti-ackerman geometry, billet aluminum hubs, C5/LS1 manual brakes, lightweight double adjustable struts, 18x10" forged wheels, an '82 fiberglass hood, Vintage Air A/C, a lightweight 5-speed, aluminum drive shaft, Rear seat delete, lightweight Zexel Torsen based rear diff. and adjustable LCA, torque arm and panhard bar. I'm considering a polycarbonate rear window, but I need some clarification of the weight restrictions on lexan in the CAM-T Rules.

From the factory the car was 3,126 with a ~54% front weight balance. Anyone want to take bets where I end up?

The chassis will be stiffened with subframe connectors, re-enforcement at the custom splined front swaybar, no steering box pushing against the subframe and a STB. Being a late model factory hardtop along with some stitch welding will help too.

The powerplant will be an L33 LS with a Comp Cam, upgraded valvetrain and manifold.

I have a few other tricks up my sleeve that I'll get to as I go along.

Last edited by RT_66_Pro_Touring; 01-03-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-19-2020, 07:16 PM

Cool project and nice list of parts you have planned! Building up a third gen Camaro myself so ill be following along.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_66_Pro_Touring View Post

The goal is a CAM-T, USCA GTL compliant lightweight that solves the inherent problems with the 3rd Gen platform: chassis flex, antiquated steering with anti-ackerman, high unsprung weight, WAY too low front roll center and too high rear.

The car will have (sort of front-to-back) an aluminum Firebird front bumper custom fit to the Camaro, lightweight lithium battery, tubular k-member & a-arms with extended ball joints, power rack and pinion that removes the anti-ackerman geometry, billet aluminum hubs, C5/LS1 manual brakes, lightweight double adjustable struts, 18x10" forged wheels, an '82 fiberglass hood, Vintage Air A/C, a lightweight 5-speed, aluminum drive shaft, Rear seat delete, lightweight Zexel Torsen based rear diff. and adjustable LCA, torque arm and panhard bar. I'm considering a polycarbonate rear window, but I need some clarification of the weight restrictions on lexan in the CAM-T Rules.
interested in the CAM-T you lised and along with putting on a diet I have a 90 Formula that I'm gathering parts for and ready when my 69 Bird goes to body man I'm also doing the Aluminum Impact bar but compared to the factory steel one it saves only 5 lbs
90 Formula / Firehawk clone
1999 Firehawk
1969 Chevelle SS 396
Old 01-21-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage_engineer View Post
Cool project and nice list of parts you have planned! Building up a third gen Camaro myself so ill be following along.
Thanks. I've been watching your build. You are definitely better at documentation than I am. You're getting close, looking forward to your updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to RT_66_Pro_Touring For This Useful Post:
garage_engineer (01-26-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMAN1969 View Post
interested in the CAM-T you lised and along with putting on a diet I have a 90 Formula that I'm gathering parts for and ready when my 69 Bird goes to body man I'm also doing the Aluminum Impact bar but compared to the factory steel one it saves only 5 lbs
In the case of a Camaro, the difference between a Camaro steel impact bar and the Firebird aluminum bar modified to work on a Camaro is just over 8 lbs. Not huge, but it's on the extreme end of the car and polar moment is as important as unsprung weight. Also, I only paid a Jackson for it and the challenge of making it fit the Camaro bumper cover was entertaining, although probably not the best use of an entire evening.

I mounted the Camaro support bar and egg crate plastics and used a plumb bob and tape measure to mark the location of multiple points:

Then I mounted the Firebird bar with the Camaro plastics and cut to fit:

It fit great!

Last edited by RT_66_Pro_Touring; 01-21-2020 at 07:39 PM.