Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Default Selling a higher end Pro-Touring car

Now that I have built a pretty nice pro-touring car, I'm trying to plan for the next go round. We'll do some shows, drive it a bit, etc. I have found I get a great deal of enjoyment in building cars for fun but have no plans to do this for income. The best case scenario would be to get my outlay for the build back with maybe a few dollars for several years of my work. Keep rolling it into the next build. Since I do the vast majority of the work, and am pretty good at the mechanicals and electrical, I think that should be possible. I sub my paint work out, though I can paint. I just don't like to.

Where is the best place to sell a higher end car once it's done? Is there a big enough market to sell an expensive car via the web or do you just need to chance it at one of the better auctions? The build has been well documented here and on other sites, so any buyer would have a great resource to see the level to which the car was built. I would hope that would help. Any of you guys have experience with this?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:22 AM

Default selling

Doug ...
You'll likely get the same answers here as you will ProTouring
The most high end stuff gets sold through Pro-touring Garage, then of course here and pro-touring, and then to the masses through eBay.

Personally I would NEVER take it to BJ .... but thats just me

Cheers
Steve
1966 FJ40 R2.8 -SOLD
911 Hotrod - SOLD
2002 Gated 360
Next up - "Killer Piggy"
Old 11-10-2018, 08:28 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Very interesting topic! I hope to see a bunch of responses. This seems to be the common dilemma among us car nuts... build them up, enjoy until the new wears off, look towards the next project. How does the average guy survive?

A couple thoughts I have strictly as a hobbiest...
If you are doing most of the actual physical work yourself, and you're doing it for the enjoyment. That is your payment. The best you can hope for when you flip is to maybe break even on parts money spent...if lucky.
I've never sold a car at auction (other than ebay). It is my opinion from watching them on TV, that is a last resort. You have decided you cannot sell it any other way and you will take whatever you get and move on...

Jeff-
GregWeld (11-11-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Mecum with a reserve is a good option if the car is not too high end imho. I wouldn’t be able to go for a no reserve BJ auction....

Don
Old 11-10-2018, 06:25 PM

This is always a sobering situation. Frequently what we think is reasonable for a sale price is very far from what the market dictates. It’s completely possible that when faced with what the market will tolerate you get another feeling which has you reconsidering selling

I personally know 2 guys who went though this ... one eventually sold for 100k less then what he thought he could get.. the other decided to just keep it after facing the cold reality of sweat equity does not easily translate to six figures nor does spending super high dollars with a world renowned builder.... rarely are cars like ours sold for a profit most dont break even or sell at a huge loss

Just my .02

Maybe consider trades
Old 11-11-2018, 10:18 AM

If you make money on a custom, you’ll be one of the vast minority. It will probably take two guys in an auction setting.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
If you make money on a custom, you’ll be one of the vast minority. It will probably take two guys in an auction setting.
It takes 3 — and an auctioneer that knows you and wants you back at his next auction - because then he’ll toss in a couple phantom bids for you.... otherwise — you’re just at the mercy of the crowd.

Auction should be your very last resort unless you know someone that has prime times and can get your car on the block on Friday or Saturday afternoon.... and don’t forget - you’re going to invest $$ to get the car to auction - more $$ to pimp it out (detail) and the seller premium of 10%.... not to mention your time - and hotel and food....

Leave the auction scene to the professionals.....
Old 11-11-2018, 10:42 PM

I’m with ya, but he mentioned profit. Big risk equals hero or zero.