Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Absolutely beautiful work STI, but that cost you a fortune and we both know it.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Man this is getting good......Ok, Let me give ALL my info to guys. I'll do my best to leave out no details. Cause so far in this conversation I have listened to reason and changed my mind about ten times! I have; a1000 pump, return style two port regulator, filter (all Aeromotive) all the -8 lines and fittings I need, most of the -10 stuff (minus about 100$ in fittings and thats just a small handful, -10 stuff is spendy!) 1/2 pick up for stock tank, alum. cell with -10 fittings, and a plate style nitrous kit to install (up to 250hp). I am concerned about having enough fuel for the nitrous kit with a mechaical pump. Now you guys are talking me into running a mechanical pump with all 1/2 lines. I COULD sell the big pump and related hradware to fund other parts of the car. Does your guys' educated opinion stay the same? As in mechaincal pump and be done? Thansk guys, Jason
Old 02-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Uh =====

You just FAILED to mention the giggle juice in your other posts...

Now I'll have to bow out, because I've never done the gas thing except at the dentist...

Surely the "kit" you got for the power adder has some "opinion" or guidance?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Wanted to follow up i asked on my call today with an aeromotive tech, about this situation, he said the pump pulls roughly 20in of vacuum and would work given you have at least a 1/2" but better a 5/8ths pickup. However the kicker will be the fuel temp in the vacuum at the pump inlet possibly causing cavitation sooner then it would normally.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Right -- because VACUUM in FUEL is the OPPOSITE of PRESSURE in a radiator -- vacuum in fuel will cause it to "boil" (bubbles)... Which is why they like a flooded (no vacuum required) head. The "simple" solution to this is of course - to draw fuel from the bottom of the tank -- and from the REAR of the tank - so that going up hill on a low tank - will cover the fuel outlet with fuel... you can COAST downhill (LOL). And a hard launch will, of course, push the fuel to the rear.

Funny about the little things that people don't think about - but back in the day when I traveled with a funny car -- I learned about a 2 G launch - and how hard the pump has to work in order just to overcome that force! Something you just wouldn't think about ordinarily... LOL.... which is why the fuel tank was in front of the motor... Not sure how they handle that with todays cars - and I'm certain they launch WAY harder now-days!