Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 AM

Default 18 degree SBC needs short block.

I know just about everyone on here is running an LS motor. But a few years ago I purchased a used set of GMPP aluminum 18 degree heads. These bad boys came to me fully worked over by Hendren racing, CNC this CNC that, titanium springs, and valves, shaft mount rockers, huge solid lift cam, pretty B A stuff. They were in an oval track car and making solid mid 600hp numbers with a more than mild 350 build, nothing too crazy though.

If I can't sell these heads for a decent price I'm just going to have to build the sbc, dart little M block with forged internals, and the 18 degree set-up.

So I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone can give me the names of a few shops who can put together for me a solid short block for a good price. I had a friend who did lots of research on this for me but we kind of had a falling out and now I don't have all of his research.

Also I will post some pictures up probably tomorrow, Let me know what you think of my stuff.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 AM

Still looking

Last edited by clay69camaro; 05-15-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: oops
Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM

I looked at 18 degree stuff when I built my 427 as we had heads around. I couldn't due to hood clearance. With a cowl hood you might be ok though. I did find some off the shelf headers for camaro's with 18 degree heads, I think it was hedman, not sure if you found headers yet? Enjoy, it will make HP! -Dan
2011 Corvette grand sport convertible

Last edited by 68sixspeed; 08-19-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM

I am with you on the fuel efficiency thing. Screw it. I wish I had an answer or information for you, it sounds like you could build a killer motor with those heads.

But in all fairness to the other Lateral-g members here in not getting back to you, it had only been two days between posts. I have had weeks go by without an answer, but when I got it, it was right and worth the wait.
Best of luck with the build. Post up some pictures and dyno results if you can. I'd like to see it all done.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 PM

You're not going to make many friends around here with that attitude including me. Old school stuff is a camaros.net deal.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 AM

Except the 18 degree stuff isn't old. they're early 90's nascar stuff if I'm not mistaken. After reviewing all my data it seems my heads won't work to well with those motors I mentioned earlier and I have been advised to go ahead and go with a 400-414ci motor.

ohhh yeah also since I don't wanna be all old school It's gonna be fuel injected with a pro charger, and I'm working on installing my new sub-frame with c4 vette stuff. My car is meant to handle not only go in a straight line I think I belong on this site well enough.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs View Post
But in all fairness to the other Lateral-g members here in not getting back to you, it had only been two days between posts. I have had weeks go by without an answer, but when I got it, it was right and worth the wait.
Best of luck with the build. Post up some pictures and dyno results if you can. I'd like to see it all done.
I got impatient and never look at the dates on other peoples posts. So it seems to me like they get instant help. My bad Lateral-G
I'll post pics in project updates when I get a working camera.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Default I had kicked around the idea

of using a 9:1 18 degree Busch motor. One of my friends has one and is thinking about doing it with twin turbos and he has a Kinsler individual runner intake for it.

If you really want to be trick go to www.racingjunk.com and hang out there for a while. You could probably pick up a dry sump system pretty cheap as well. For that matter you could probably buy a complete motor that needs freshing with everything you need probably cheaper than you could piece one together.

"The Mule" is running an 18 degree motor...plus the twin turbos
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM

I probably could find an 18 degree set up pretty cheap on there but the heads I have have had a lot of work done to them already. They flow much more than the stock versions. And I don't want to sell them for much less than I paid for them so I'm just gonna stick to em.

Twin turbos would be awesome. But I know it's gonna take much more tuning and electronics and the most important $$$. Lots of custom stuff involved in a twin turbo system isn't there? I know the super charger is bolt in get tuned and it's pretty manageable. I have a turbo in my other car and it's real finickey. It does what it wants and the computer is always pulling boost and I never get to hit the target boost level, even with meth injection.

but if anyone knows where I can get to looking at twin turbo set-ups I'd like to browse through it.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM

Default I think you missed my point

You could pick up a complete 18 degree motor probably as cheap or cheaper than trying to build a shortblock for the 18 degree heads you have. I think my friend picked one up for $6500. Intake to oil pan, dry sump, bowtie block with the best internals made. Sell the stuff you do not need.

To spin a motor to 8000 rpm you will need all the best stuff anyway. I think you will find that is going to be an expensive motor to build and to make the power you want and it will be pretty ragged until about 3000 rpm...then hold on.

The tubo thing is going to be real expensive.