Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-23-2018, 09:20 AM

Default Rear control arm bushings

Is there any benefit to running Delrin vs poly bushings in rear control arms?

Here is a control arm I'm designing for my mustang. I'm moving the sway bar forward to clear my panhard bar.

1972 Nova...OUT OF THE BARN!!!!!

IG:@kdmerritt5 for more
Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 AM

Have you already built these, Merritt5?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidiCat69 View Post
Have you already built these, Merritt5?
I have not, but instead of using a urethane or derlin bushings, I may go with a johnny joint.

I can weld it to the frame side and use a rod end on the rear end side.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9112P-12

Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 AM

So if you use a Johnny joint, you’re relying on the ARB inself to keep the LCA from rotating. Or have you found a Johnny joint that doesn’t twist? All the Johnny joints I’ve seen allow twisting just like a rod end.

Edit: completely missed your part number link. Read the reply on my email...doh! So with that, yeah...a stick ARB would keep the control arm from twisting, but as soon as you go to an aftermarket bar with a proper end link the LCA will twist, negating the ARB all together and causing some spring sketchiness. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by RidiCat69; 10-17-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Stock...a stock ARB, not a stick ARB. Fat fingered that one on my phone
Old 10-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So if you use a Johnny joint, you’re relying on the ARB inself to keep the LCA from rotating. Or have you found a Johnny joint that doesn’t twist? All the Johnny joints I’ve seen allow twisting just like a rod end.

Edit: completely missed your part number link. Read the reply on my email...doh! So with that, yeah...a stick ARB would keep the control arm from twisting, but as soon as you go to an aftermarket bar with a proper end link the LCA will twist, negating the ARB all together and causing some spring sketchiness. Or am I missing something?
By aftermarket bar, I assume you are referring to the maximum motorsports one that bolts to the rear end itself. With that bar, I could see the chance of the springs becoming unseated due to the lca's twisting. As long as the roll bar bolts to the lca's, I don't see that being an issue.

For me, I'll probably have coil-overs on all corners, before I go with the MM rear roll bar.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:35 AM

Honestly, I completely forgot about their bar! Last fox I did, we used the stock ARB mounting points on the LCA's and made our own splined bar mounts to swap out bars of different thicknesses.

In that case, your idea would work quite well. The johnny joints are definitely nice. Have used them on a couple different things with good results. Got ours from Ballistic Fabrication. Instead of a snap ring they use a threaded retainer for the race so the joint can be tightened as it wears.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...allistic-joint
Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I completely forgot about their bar! Last fox I did, we used the stock ARB mounting points on the LCA's and made our own splined bar mounts to swap out bars of different thicknesses.

In that case, your idea would work quite well. The johnny joints are definitely nice. Have used them on a couple different things with good results. Got ours from Ballistic Fabrication. Instead of a snap ring they use a threaded retainer for the race so the joint can be tightened as it wears.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...allistic-joint
Nice, I might have to check those out.

You have a pic of the roll bar you're referring to?

Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 AM

Merritt, sorry it took so long to get back with you. Havent been on all weekend and its been a weird one. I looked all over to see if I had any pictures of the ARB setup we did, and couldn't find any. Honestly I'd have to say having installed an MM rear bad as well, that would be the way I'd recommend anyway, as it was a well thought out bar. I like their adjustment method as it has a lot of adjustability, and there are mounting holes for the end link on both the bracket that bolts to the frame rails as well as the rear axle, allowing the end links to stay vertical regardless of which position it is in. Depending on your panhard bar design I suppose there could be some interference, but I dont think thats something that would stop someone like you.

The bar we did was neat since it did allow bars to of different thicknesses to be changed out, but Im not sure it was necessary to have that much adjustment. If you want to try something like that though, check out Evilbay for used NASCAR bar setups. Just search nascar rear sway bar, and you'll usually find several mulit-bar setups with levers, end links, and a few bars. The big unknown is whether or not any of the bars will be light enough or stiff enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to RidiCat69 For This Useful Post:
Merritt5 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Just did a quick search myself and there were several. I didn’t look at all of them, but one did have multiple holes on the lever, as well as a .5” small diameter bar and almost a 1” large diameter bar, and 24” long making it a good candidate. Some tinkering finding the right one would definitely need to happen. I don’t know the diameter of the MM bar, but the levers are pretty long, so it doesn’t seem like they want a ton of rear bar.