Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I don't know who said this is going to be "better than Investing 102" but I'm going to kick the crap out of 'em just for the exercise!

Gwen and I started working 3 days a week with a PT that comes to the house. He kicks our sorry butts... and I've lost about 0 pounds... but my waist is smaller and I feel SO MUCH STRONGER and better. First workouts I could hardly do 10 pushups -- now I'll crank off sets of 20 without even thinking about it.

Gwen added a new bike - a Trek 5.9 or something like that - and she's riding with girlfriends 3 or so times a week and they're doing 40 to 50 miles already.

I'm short and stock -- think "fireplug" -- and don't think I'll ever loose any weight. I'm just not into that part of it... I just like being healthy with the cardio and strength. I've worked out for years and never had a sculpted body. But I can work all friggin' day without stopping. When I was an active Pyro -- my buddy and I could kick butt all day and just kill the young guys (I'm 59)... and they'd even say "wow" at the end of a day.

Good thread and I'm glad you started it Todd!
Haha..That was me Greg...You can slap me when you meet me.

I am financially healthy, and physically out of shape.. So easy for me to say this thread is better..It is the one thread I really need to motivate me..I am already motivated to make MONEY.

Todd got me going again...Walked ten minutes after dinner, and did a few hundred sit ups and 50 push ups...First day in a long time..

I plan to continue doing it...

I know it will help me get back on track...

Soon to be crazy
Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Erik, that was very interesting. To summarize it for people. The addition of high fructose corn syrup to Soda, Juices, Foods plays a huge roll in the current rate of obesity in America. Back in the days when Americans were getting all their sucrose(sugar) from fruits and vegetables, we were 25lbs lighter on average. I believe the sugar intake of the average American has quadrupled due to all the MAN MADE products today. Sugar turns into fat. Before you eat that processed food or drink that soda, take a look at the ingredients.

Just to be clear, fruits and veggies are the best source of fructose(sugar) because they are loaded with fiber and nutrients.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 AM

the media currently hates fructose, but it's largely alarmist crap

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/0...tose-alarmism/

here it is explained by a guy who actually knows what he's talking about, not some journalist hack.

Just take the diet version if you love soda.

There's so much made up rubbish in the media that you need guys like Lyle McDonald to explain the truth of it all, see links below \/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/cat...n-fundamentals
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

All this reminds me of a couple things that are historically correct:

The GOVERNMENT pushed us to use MARGARIN over butter... then years later it was discovered that real butter is actually less harmful because our bodies can break it down unlike the margarin...

The GOVERNMENT pushed us to drink orange juice with our bowl of cereal --- over, eating bacon and eggs for breakfast...

But everyone should (they don't) know that PROTEIN is better for you than the OJ/Cereal if you ARE NOT going to go out and do some exercise.... The OJ/Cereal combo is sugar and carbs that if you don't need/use immediately - are just stored as fat. But we all THOUGHT - because someone else told us - it was "right" - that the OJ/Cereal was a far healthier breakfast! NOT!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM

A common sense approach to eating really isn't that difficult. Moderation is the key, we all know that, but just sticking to it is the hard part. Its good to have a day when you can pig out if you want, just remember to put in the work to deserve it.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 AM

I was always told.

If you want to be Wealthy, study Wealth.

If you want to be Happy, study Happiness.

If you want to be Healthy, study Health.

I lost my self along the way as far as health is concerned, but I am on my way back.

I need to Study and apply myself again to Health, so I can be Healthy.

It won't just "happen".. Just like wealth won't just "happen"...I have to put in the time and effort.

Thanks for waking me up..

Soon to be crazy
Old 07-09-2012, 12:57 PM

EVERYTHING starts with health.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Very cool thread guys. The timing is funny because I have changed my health focus radically in the last 6 months. I'm 6' and weighed 252 at my heaviest in 2010. I'm such a busy person, I knew I could only focus on a couple changes and stay the course. Of course different things work for different people, but here was my recipe.

-dropped sodas
-jog 6 miles a week (2 nights)
-in the gym for 90 minutes for weight training (2 nights)
-Breakfast is one scoop of ultra lean protien powder in a glass of nonfat milk (tastes exactly like a Wendys frostie!) and a cup of coffee (some things I can't quit)
-making better choices at lunch and reasonable portions at dinner
-take sleep seriously

I weigh 226 and my size 36 jeans can slide off me. It's been pretty easy really. It's all about moderation and making better choices. I'm amazed at the muscle mass that's been relatively easy to gain, but more importantly how my imfamous short temper has been tamed. Somebody above said it all starts will health and they were dead on.

Smithcraft Collision and Restoration
Newcastle , CA
Old 07-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Default I had some friends have some

health problem recently so I have been more focused...not that I ever got that far away.

Taking an insurance class on Long Term Health Insurance, our instructor told us a story that had an impact on me. Basically, he went to the doctor (he was not overweight) and his Cholestorol was in the mid 300 range. The Doc perscribed medication and before he had a chance to fill it, another person asked him how much pork he ate. The other gentleman went on to say that if he would give up pork for 90 days and change nothing else he would not need the medication. Well the guy gave up pork for 90 days and did not change anything else in his diet. He went back to the doctor in 90 days for a test on his perscribed medication. The doctor stated it must be working very well since he went from 3xx to 146. He then showed the doctor that he had not filled it and explained what he did. Doc says no way and schedules him back in another 90 days. The guy decides to give up all meat (which I could never do) and goes back in the 90 days. His number was 134.

I have not researched it, but I gave up pork that day. I did not realized how much pork I was eating. Bacon in the morning, Itailan sub at lunch from Subway and then porkchops, peperoni pizza or whatever else pork at night. It was very hard as I am from the South and lived in the South my entire life...and can cook smoked baby back ribs like it is going out of style. I have not been in for a check up, so I cannot say how it worked for me but it cannot hurt. Last I checked mine was 215 but my ratios were excellent, I am 5'11" 195. Working out 3 times a week, but no Cardio...need to get on that program.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:06 PM

I had a TIA in 2010.

When they checked my cholesteral, it was 308. I dropped it 57 points just by changing my Diet.

It is now under 200.

The Wife and I headed for a walk soon..Something that we had been talking about, but now we are just doing it..Baby steps..

I exercised last night and this morning..I also slept better last night..

Baby steps, and this thread helps me to focus on my health again..I won't over do it, as Todd mentions not to do, so baby steps it will be..

But just like Investing, the baby steps turn into LARGE changes over time, and not overnight.

Thanks Todd for waking me up.

Soon to be crazy