Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Default I've made the jump to full time

First, I wanted to start off by thanking everyone for their support, loyalty and extreme patience while I attempted to balance both my Industrial Design job and my obsession for custom car art and design. Without the great people I've met and had the opportunity to help along the way this would have remained only a dream for me. While I'm at it, I want to extend a special thank you to Scott for providing the perfect environment for for car guys and artists alike.

This is a very nerve-racking venture I'm embarking on as many of you can attest to I'm sure. A steady paycheck in a great job is a tough thing to walk away from especially with a family and a mortgage. However, I've always believed in the philosophy that "the biggest risk is never taking one" and I certainly don't want to reach my twilight years looking back and saying "What if....?"

That said, I made the decision to give my notice yesterday afternoon and I'm ready to move forward. I simply got sick of forcing my very patient clients to wait and the constant all-nighters were really taking a toll on me. It wasn't fair to my family, my employer, or my clients. So, I have some loose ends that need to be tied up for the next couple weeks but after that I'm on my own.

My plans are to finish up all of the projects for people that have been waiting FOREVER first, then onto the development and launch of my completely overhauled website courtesy of Scott. There will be an updated gallery, press releases, an online store for prints and shirts and whatever else you guys would like to see. I'd love to hear your input.

So, thanks again everyone for your interest and encouragement over the past few years! I look forward to hearing from you anytime!

Ben

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Awesome, Congratulations
Well you know that we (my real job) try to keep you busy and most likely why your so behind on alot of work. Hey but it aint my fault.

I always recommend you when I can.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM

Anyone thinking of using Ben needs to know what a great job he does, I never knew how he juggled both deals. He has great ideas and vision. I would recommend him to anyone out there. Please feel free to call me if you have more questions. I will tell you from my experience with him all you need to do is point him in the direction you want to go and he will get you there with a car that will be beyond your expectations. He literally blew my mind with the Cannibal. I wanted a cool 72-73 charger, I had a 73 charger as my first car and he created in my opinion-the best looking charger ever-out of a 72-73 charger... Best of luck Ben but you won't need it.

Thanks
Mike
Time Machines
813-789-6719 cell
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Ben, I wished we lived closer, I'd love to hang out.

Congrats on the move to full time!

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Congrats Ben,there is obviously no doubt you will make it just by the quality of work that you put out and your reputation already speaks for itself.

Its definetly what every artist dreams about making a living from our talent.

I wish I could get to that position but unfortunatly I have my own business so I cant resign from myself. LOL

Only one piece of advice I can give and its not even mine but something I live my life by everyday.

FAILURE SELDOM STOPS YOU.WHAT STOPS YOU IS FEAR OF FAILURE!!!
Jack Lemon

Zee

[SIGPIC]https://lateral-g.net/forums/image.php4?type=sigpic&userid=4368&dateline=121287 1168[/SIGPIC]
RENDERING GALLERY!!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:42 PM

Congrats Ben!!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 AM

I did the same thing only out of necessity. I had a full time gig and I was shooting car features for PHR. When I got laid off Feb. 07 I decided to go for it fulltime. It hasn't been without it's struggles, but I am glad that I did. I have such a great opportunity to work with the best in the biz, namely, Johnny Hunkins, Troy Trepanier, Jim and Mike Ring, Alan Johnson, Brent Jarvis, just to name a few. I have grown into 2 other mags and hope to get into more this year. It is difficult with mortgage and kids, i know. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Good luck. Hope to see you at some event sometime.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdesign View Post
First, I wanted to start off by thanking everyone for their support, loyalty and extreme patience while I attempted to balance both my Industrial Design job and my obsession for custom car art and design. Without the great people I've met and had the opportunity to help along the way this would have remained only a dream for me. While I'm at it, I want to extend a special thank you to Scott for providing the perfect environment for for car guys and artists alike.

This is a very nerve-racking venture I'm embarking on as many of you can attest to I'm sure. A steady paycheck in a great job is a tough thing to walk away from especially with a family and a mortgage. However, I've always believed in the philosophy that "the biggest risk is never taking one" and I certainly don't want to reach my twilight years looking back and saying "What if....?"

That said, I made the decision to give my notice yesterday afternoon and I'm ready to move forward. I simply got sick of forcing my very patient clients to wait and the constant all-nighters were really taking a toll on me. It wasn't fair to my family, my employer, or my clients. So, I have some loose ends that need to be tied up for the next couple weeks but after that I'm on my own.

My plans are to finish up all of the projects for people that have been waiting FOREVER first, then onto the development and launch of my completely overhauled website courtesy of Scott. There will be an updated gallery, press releases, an online store for prints and shirts and whatever else you guys would like to see. I'd love to hear your input.

So, thanks again everyone for your interest and encouragement over the past few years! I look forward to hearing from you anytime!

Ben
=======================================
Ben:

Good luck, I'm looking forward to working with you. I hope I'm in your line. ;-)

Ty
Ty O'Neal
"She Devil" aka. Betty
1969/70 Camaro SS
427 LS3, 600
Keisler Road and Track T-56
Full size 3 link and custom roll cage
315mm tires on rear, should fit the same on front. Worked to design a more effective shape.
======================
"Chester's '65"
1965 Buick Riviera
Aiming for true PT Status with
the best available from the 70's and 80's
======================
Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 AM

Ben, I think thats great and you will do just fine. Let me know when your ready and will talk about some more work. Ive got some more guys at work that are intersted as well. You did a great Job on Scott Spicers car and I know he's got that hanging in his show room.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Thumbs up

Congrats. You are doing the right thing. Everybody better watch out now. The quality of your work is only going to get better now that you can focus solely on your passion. I can't wait to see the things you are going to do now.

I do have a question though, on a side note, since you left a industrial design firm, does that mean there is an opening there? I did mention I have a degree in ID didn't I?

I am sure great things are ahead. Just don't forget about us here at Laeral-g!
http://mlomaka.wix.com/lomakaconceptdesign