Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected65 View Post
The "buddy" that did the mini tub didn't notch the frame rail and take the tubs inward as far as I had requested so it looks like I will be limited to a 285-295 tire. .
Thanks Buddy

I'd say at the level of power you will be at the unibody may need some additional help beyond the subframe connectors. A cage would be a good addition. What is your hp and torque target I would bet it isn't below 650

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 PM

The guys at Kaase said it should make right around 700 hp on pump gas. The torque will probably be crazy I imagine. I don't have any plans to run sticky tires but it should still run pretty hard.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM

Seeing those hacked up wheel tubs really ate at me last night so I went ahead and ordered a set of wide wheel tubs from Grave Robber Sheetmetal. I will just do them myself this time. I should have done all the metal work myself in the beginning, but I tried to be lazy and help out a friend and it bit me in the arse. At least now I will have a nicer finished appearance and will be able to stuff the bigger 315 tires under the car
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM

I started cutting out the old inner wheel wells last night. God I am glad to be rid of that hacked up crap. The garage was filled with haze so I didn't bother with any pictures. Tonight I will start making templates for the new tubs and start trimming things up to fit them.

I also started the assembly of the new rear end. Hopefully by the weekend I will have it together and in the car so I can start measuring for the rear wheels.

Chris
Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM

always happy to see another ford come into the group!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Only 1 new pic so far.

I have both of the Graverobber mini tubs welded in place. I still need to get the trunk hinge mounts welded and one of the package tray supports. The rear end is now completely assembled. I have a little machining to do to the brake caliper mounts to have the brakes complete, but that's minor really. My goal is to have the rear suspension installed and the car back on the ground by the end of the weekend. Then I will be in a position to install the mock up engine and trans so I can start fabbing the engine and trans mounts. I'm hoping that I can get the motor low enough to fit the stock hood and more importantly so I don't have to do any major trans tunnel surgery.

Chris
Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 PM

One other picture I guess. I put the intake up on the CNC machine at work and milled out the holes for the injector bungs. When one of the lathes opens up I am going to make the bungs and then my buddy in Wichita is going to put his tig skills to work and weld that puppy up.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Love the pulley system bracketry... very clean!

One thing of mention with your rear tire size... I deal a lot with a bunch of cars built with 17" wheels with 315s on the rear and they are getting hard to find in anything other than competition tires or drag radials. I am currently searching to find a full matching set of tires in a tread pattern that covers the front and rear tire size so definately go 18" or bigger- there are alot more options on tire sizes.

Last edited by Revved; 08-10-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM

I finally got the rear end bolted under the car last night. I did some quick measuring and it looks like a 10" wheel will fit, but I need to get the shocks ordered and installed so I can get it exactly to ride height to check clearances. With the big brakes up front it looks like I will be using an 18" wheel at a minimum. I think in 18-19" tires the options for a 315 (or there abouts) width become more available.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected65 View Post
I finally got the rear end bolted under the car last night. I did some quick measuring and it looks like a 10" wheel will fit, but I need to get the shocks ordered and installed so I can get it exactly to ride height to check clearances. With the big brakes up front it looks like I will be using an 18" wheel at a minimum. I think in 18-19" tires the options for a 315 (or there abouts) width become more available.
Yep... 18" opens up a lot more options for tires and for brakes. But I'm not sure how a 315 would look on a 10" These cars I deal with have 315/35zR17 on 11" rim and it looks good.