Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy09 View Post
Greg...

Thanks for talking with Albert... He seems young, hungry and smart..

He is one of the only people that bit into the thread I started , and seems to be running with it well..

I was foolish enough to almost start another one, but quickly realized that I was not welcome.. Oh well.

So my lesson learned is that i will comment on this thread and no others..

I learned my lesson. Albert will be the one that runs with it. I said if only one person did it... Albert is it..

Thanks for taking the time to help all of us..

No more new threads...
I think the problem was, the few interested were looking for answers, not information/knowledge.

oh well. their loss.. hopefully MY GAIN! hahah

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
So I just opened another Traditional IRA last night to stuff $2-3K away for five or so years.

Any creative funding suggestions?

Cash.......boring

ETF's

One good Steady Eddie?

I'm tempted to fund it with PM or McD and watch what happens.

Too hard to answer that question without more info... use? Term? Age? Other funds? Etc.

If you're well set already - and middle aged -- go for some gusto... if you're an old coot and have no money and lots of debt -- a different response.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
I bet that goes over well Bob..
It went over pretty good. He came to talk to me personally. Then he gave me the pink slip and told me to get out!!
Just kidding we talked for awhile he explained a few things. Basically they aren't changing the investment stuff. So Im going to let it sit there and collect dust.
The one 401k I do have I'm going to roll it over into a IRA and take control of it and make my employees make me some more employees.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
I think the problem was, the few interested were looking for answers, not information/knowledge.

oh well. their loss.. hopefully MY GAIN! hahah
Many many lazy people out there.... and they just don't want to have to do ANY work. That's their problem not ours.

When we're enjoying our well deserved retirement -- they'll be wondering how to downsize their house - their cars - their lives... to fit with the meager amount of money they have to live on. Sad.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
It went over pretty good. He came to talk to me personally. Then he gave me the pink slip and told me to get out!!
Just kidding we talked for awhile he explained a few things. Basically they aren't changing the investment stuff. So Im going to let it sit there and collect dust.
The one 401k I do have I'm going to roll it over into a IRA and take control of it and make my employees make me some more employees.

Stop contributing to the company 401K and put that same money into a ROTH IRA -- or another 401 that you open. There's no limit on how many you can have... just a limit to how much you can contribute.

As we discussed -- you're going BACKWARDS in the company 401 -- a monkey throwing darts could do better! Even if the company is matching dollar for dollar -- you're going backwards... (and of course they are not!).
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM

If you would oblige, how about a little more Non-Investing 102? A lot has already been said to the effect of paying down debt before investing. My wife is in school, so we're borrowing from the government under their nice ''interest accrues upon disbursement" plans. By the time she graduates, we will have a California-house-sized loan that will even make the numbers Greg is working with look small. In the meantime, we have a buffer, and are continuing to keep our accounts flat...adding money towards our savings or retirement accounts now will just hurt us later.

Perhaps the experts in here will weigh in more succinctly...

A lot of people say you should attack the loans with the highest APR first. To me, it seems like the mathematically advantageous approach is to pay down the loan with the greatest overall accrual growth.

As an example:
100*5% APR = $5/year
50*8% APR = $4/year
So you pay down the $100 loan until the annual accruals are equal (at $80) then pay them down equally, no?

1968 Camaro: "TRACKDAY"

Build In Progress: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10706

Last edited by sik68; 03-01-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
They were "very well off", and i remember my Aunt taking us and "showing us around town" lol.

Bellevue is the Beverly Hills of Washington... there are so many high tech companies here... and national headquarters for many really well known companies. When I start to rattle them off for people -- they're blown away...

Microsoft - Amazon - Starbucks - Costco - Paccar (Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks) - Zillow - Expedia - Nordstrom - Alaska Airlines - Nintendo - T Mobile... just to name a couple.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 PM

a couple... hahaha... yeah, i do remember it being pretty nice around there!

Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
I have a new hatred for mutual funds.

I have 2 401k accounts, one with current employer and one with a previous one that I no longer put money into obviously, so it just sits there. When I say it sits there I REALLY mean it sits there. Its not doing anything.
I'm going to move that account into something I can control and pick what I want and not be limited to a dozen opptions.
The other 401k account is with current employer and I'm putting in $600 a month and its not doing anything. I already sent the CFO a nice email outlining that we need more options, cause the dozen or so options aren't cutting it. Like I told him in the email I'd like to retire some day and not run out of money.
Go get em boy...i have an old 401K, and i am getting 10% out of that Dog..

Good Hunting on getting your 401K to at least grow over time... It should be doing well, especially right now...Change that puppy soon...

Soon to be crazy
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy09 View Post
Go get em boy...i have an old 401K, and i am getting 10% out of that Dog..

Good Hunting on getting your 401K to at least grow over time... It should be doing well, especially right now...Change that puppy soon...
I need to tackle my 401k too. ugh. mutual funds are a whole nother ball game. lol