Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCRFT78 View Post
Thank you for the explanation on Annaly Capital Management. I agree I will have to learn more before jumping into something like this.
Amen.... Some of these are really small plays in my Big Mix, so I am not trying to make a killing with the asset..It is more of a balance to my steady eddies..

Remember to really have a blended mix..Sure some of it seems boring, but no one should load up on these assets without doing the homework...

That is why I am usually not mentioning specific assets..i don't want it to bite someone, and then bite me...

Soon to be crazy
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM

ok...

So.. I am making a "list" per say, of "data" i am documenting for each stock i am reviewing, so i can compare the numbers and see which way i want to go, etc.

With that being said, i have a silly (to me) math question, that i just cant seem to find the answer to. Or i am overlooking it, or something.

I want to calculate the "Growth" of a dividend over a certain time frame... Say, for example, in 2007 the dividend was $0.25 and now, in 2012 (5 yrs) its $0.38. What was the dividend growth percent (not looking for the ACTUAL value, but the math to get it. lol).

Or perhaps this is on a Schwab chart that i am overlooking? or somewhere else?

Also, similar to Dividend growth, i want to see share price growth. Now i think this one is on the default "Summary" charge on Schwab. if you hit the 5yr mark on the "Quote Details" company performance chart, it says "Price Change: +10.00(13%). Is that indicating my stocks price has gone up simply 13% over that 5 yr mark?

thanks fella's...

and heck, i was at near the top of my class in math back in school.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
ok...

So.. I am making a "list" per say, of "data" i am documenting for each stock i am reviewing, so i can compare the numbers and see which way i want to go, etc.

With that being said, i have a silly (to me) math question, that i just cant seem to find the answer to. Or i am overlooking it, or something.

I want to calculate the "Growth" of a dividend over a certain time frame... Say, for example, in 2007 the dividend was $0.25 and now, in 2012 (5 yrs) its $0.38. What was the dividend growth percent (not looking for the ACTUAL value, but the math to get it. lol).

Or perhaps this is on a Schwab chart that i am overlooking? or somewhere else?

Also, similar to Dividend growth, i want to see share price growth. Now i think this one is on the default "Summary" charge on Schwab. if you hit the 5yr mark on the "Quote Details" company performance chart, it says "Price Change: +10.00(13%). Is that indicating my stocks price has gone up simply 13% over that 5 yr mark?

thanks fella's...

and heck, i was at near the top of my class in math back in school.
To calculate the percentage change in your example you would subtract $0.25 from $0.38 which is a change of $0.13. Then divide the $0.13 by $0.25. You should come up with a percentage change of 52%.

I believe you are correct on the Schwab question? One way to check would be to pull up historical prices from five years ago and then calculate the % change as in the example above. Google finance has historical prices going back many years.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
If I understand your question, I think you want to see the annual dividend growth percentage for the last 4 years (2007 - 2011). That should be:

(nTH root of (new div / old div) - 1) * 100%

where 'n' is the number of years.

Using the above numbers:

((4th root of (.38 / .25)) - 1) * 100% =

(4th root of (1.52)) - 1 * 100% =

(1.110352 - 1) * 100% =

0.110352 * 100% =

11.0352%

You can use the Scientific version of the Windows calculator to derive the nth root of a number. I don't know how to put the radical symbol in here, hopefully you can figure that out. Maybe this will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nth_root

Hope that helps!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:22 PM

thanks guys!

I also think i found the info on Schwab's website, under the "fundamentals" section. It has the 1/3/5 yr growths.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Looks like the "Albert Sale" is over... ED and MO back on the rise today. lol

Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM

ahhh, the joys of diversity. I own MCD which is down today pretty significantly for MCD. Not too worried as I've been to MCD in EU and in Asia and those stores are plenty busy. I'm literally praying MCD stays down here for a few more days as I'm expecting a new wave of employees looking for work. I also own REIT's that took a bit of a hit today. This sort of volatility is more expected in these names.

On the other hand I also own FUN and STD which thoroughly made up for MCD and the REIT's. FUN and STD were up 3% and 4% each today. STD I just picked some up yesterday and will be eyeing some additions shortly.

1968 Pontiac Firebird
1989 Ford Mustang
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 PM

Here's an interesting article I read today:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4195...g_income&ifp=0
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

grrrrrrrr this isn't the place for me to comment on your link Sieg. Let's just say I am not happy with the "leadership" of this country. I really hope the author of that opinion piece is correct.

On a brighter note, I put in my orders to purchase Occidental Petroleum(OXY), Whole Foods(WFM), Southern Company(SO), and the Coca Cola Company(KO) tonight. We will see if they go through and when. Once it's official, I'll list some details as the starting point for tracking how I do. I have both the interest earned and dividend earned selected to reinvest. Here's hoping it all works on in the long run

On another related note, Jose, who's the woman in your avatar? LOL Everyone has pictures of cars and such for there avatars so scrolling down the window I don't see anything that makes me stop. Then I hit your name and pow! really gorgeous woman. Stop scroll wheel, reverse scroll wheel, and dadamn, who is that?

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims

Last edited by WSSix; 03-08-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM

Trey thats Desiree Elyda, Google her. I must say, even though I can't possibly afford to buy every stock mentioned throughout this thread, I do save them to my portfolio to compare for future purchase. This thread is great.