Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Big Red runs Bear brakes... I am going with Brembo only because I score a sweet deal on mine.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 09-03-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
Wasn’t there a thread on here where Mark said unless you have ABS carbon rotors are not a good idea because they are like an on off switch out of no where when they get to temp?

Looking at brakes for my car and was thinking about picking up a set and have been searching for negatives other than the cost or replacement rotors. I can pick up a set of steel rotors for track days though. I’m planning on C5Z stand alone ABS, but I’m not 100% yet if I’m going to do it.
The info is on page 67 on the Jackass build where it is mentioned.
I will be running the same setup that Mark did on my 69 Camaro. I have Jackass's LS9 engine and I have ZR1 carbon ceramic brakes. You will need mono block wheels to clear the massive calipers from the ZR1.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON Q View Post
The info is on page 67 on the Jackass build where it is mentioned.
I will be running the same setup that Mark did on my 69 Camaro. I have Jackass's LS9 engine and I have ZR1 carbon ceramic brakes. You will need mono block wheels to clear the massive calipers from the ZR1.
Thank you, that was exactly what I was talking about. I picked up a set of the brakes yesterday. I already have all the C5Z ABS parts as thats been part of my build from day 1 so hopefully I'll be ok. I'm getting a set of Boze wheels for the car in a 19 and 20 so I should be ok. I figure once I start being able to track the car I'll pick up a set of iron rotors and swap them out for track days.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 PM

The vast majority of the Optima Ultimate Street Car GTV (Vintage) class builds are running Wilwood with only one running Baer. Certainly a few are running Brembo or AP Racing brakes but most are newer applications.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 PM

So is everyone saying that for some spirited street driving ... maybe the one or 2 trips down the strip a yr is ok with carbon rotors ? Not good for any more formal type of racing ?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
I think Mario (Doom) struggled with them as well, but it may have been something other than the fact they were ceramics. I don’t believe he did ABS either. Hopefully he’s been able to put some miles on the car and provide some insights.
One of the biggest mistakes I made . It's been a constant battle that I'm not going to win. I can tell you one thing for sure they DO NOT work with manual master cylinder . I contacted Brembo to ask if there was anything I could do . And the answer was no. I'm going to remove the C6 ZR1 calipers and rotors over the winter and run a new setup. I wanna stay with Brembo hopefully they have something that will work with my current setup will see . If you wanna give me a call shoot me a PM I'll send you my number.

Last edited by DOOM; 09-04-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
One of the biggest mistakes I made . It's been a constant battle that I'm not going to win. I can tell you one thing for sure they DO NOT work with manual master cylinder . I contacted Brembo to ask if there was anything I could do . And the answer was no. I'm going to remove the C6 ZR1 calipers and rotors over the winter and run a new setup. I wanna stay with Brembo hopefully they have something that will work with my current setup will see . If you wanna give me a call shoot me a PM I'll send you my number.
If the master and pedal setup was your problem I should be ok. I'm using C6 pedals, ZR1 booster, and the ZR1 master cylinder. In the Jackass 2.0 link a few posts up Mark explained they are specific for the ZR1 brakes and gave some part numbers.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
If the master and pedal setup was your problem I should be ok. I'm using C6 pedals, ZR1 booster, and the ZR1 master cylinder. In the Jackass 2.0 link a few posts up Mark explained they are specific for the ZR1 brakes and gave some part numbers.
My setup is manual no booster.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 PM

What’s the reasoning for using taking off the track oriented rotor at the track? Just to keep from having to replace them?
Seems backwards to use the track rotor for street driving and the street rotor for track use.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo View Post
What’s the reasoning for using taking off the track oriented rotor at the track? Just to keep from having to replace them?
Seems backwards to use the track rotor for street driving and the street rotor for track use.
Depends on how you drive they don't last and are a lot more experience to replace. Someone out with very little track experience and doesn't push will never have a problem. Someone with more experience and pushing will trash the rotors rather quickly. Carbon Ceramic are not the same as the carbon fiber rotors that race cars use.