Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2018, 11:42 PM

I ran a few RTA tests with the deep waveguides in the center baffle. e650's and e110's only. No e430's.

I captured the following driver and passenger side positions:
seat headrest (left and right ear sweeps)
dash center (aligned with edge of speaker grill)
dash middle
dash pillar

The dash center vs dash pillar shows a drop around 12Khz on up at the pillar.
The seat position isn't too bad compared to the previous kick panel tweeter locations.

seatvspillar by Ryan Erickson, on Flickr

seatvscenter by Ryan Erickson, on Flickr

centervspillar by Ryan Erickson, on Flickr

Last edited by MX145; 02-18-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
Great read!

Oh and I was the king of electronic football.
My brother was pretty good at it too!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
I remember being amazed when a neighbor let us watch Wizard of OZ on her TV every year because she was the only one with a color TV. lol
Good times! I remember my parents getting a color TV and cable not too long before MTV came out. Before that it was a black and white UHF/VHF with rabbit ears.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:28 AM

I want to re-state I’m trying to find the best compromise in staging, imaging, and tonality working within the confines of minimal modification to the car since it’s painted and close to complete. Functionality of the car on the track is still my priority as I enjoy autocross more than car audio.

Based on my rudimentary testing and my experience with this car if I were to rebuild it with car audio as a priority I would put 8’s or 10’s in the kick cowl vent area and likely 3’s or 4’s in the kicks with tweeters in the corners of the dash near the pillars.

Also, as I understand, RTA testing doesn’t necessarily show staging and imaging although it appears to show the correlation of loss of image width with stereo tweeters in the center location as both SPL and frequency response go down the further I measure across the dash toward the pillar. These measurements are secondary to critical listening for me but I also want a measured comparison of the short and deep waveguides for my own curiosity. I don’t think the dash measurements are useful for anything else anyway; as what matters to me is the staging, imaging, and tonality at the driver and passenger seats.

Last edited by MX145; 02-18-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:03 PM

The power outages over the weekend killed my Ruckus wireless controller. After a few failed attempts to repair the onboard flash drive I’m back online after giving up on the proprietary flash and converting my AP’s to standalone. The power outages also caused a few 3D prints and CNC operations to fail.

All that to say I haven’t uploaded the comparison of short vs deep tweeter waveguides but it’s clear the deep waveguide performs better. I took REW RTA measurements at dash center, dash middle, and dash end near pillar, as well as left and right seated head position. My laptop is tied up running the CNC overnight so hopefully I can post the graphs soon.

I’m cutting birch mounting rings for the e430’s I’m planning to fiberglass in the kick panels. It’s going to take days at the 1mm cutting depth and .5mm/s feed rate so I’m hoping upgrading the spindle max from 10k to 30k RPM will allow me to speed things up.

Last edited by MX145; 02-19-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX145 View Post
The power outages over the weekend killed my Ruckus wireless controller. After a few failed attempts to repair the onboard flash drive I’m back online after giving up on the proprietary flash and converting my AP’s to standalone. The power outages also caused a few 3D prints and CNC operations to fail.

All that to say I haven’t uploaded the comparison of short vs deep tweeter waveguides but it’s clear the deep waveguide performs better. I took REW RTA measurements at dash center, dash middle, and dash end near pillar, as well as left and right seated head position. My laptop is tied up running the CNC overnight so hopefully I can post the graphs soon.

I’m cutting birch mounting rings for the e430’s I’m planning to fiberglass in the kick panels. It’s going to take days at the 1mm cutting depth and .5mm/s feed rate so I’m hoping upgrading the spindle max from 10k to 30k RPM will allow me to speed things up.
Hate it when you have to keep starting over.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/