Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 12-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Adding insulation to garge door

Has anyone done this to help keep the cold out? I'm honestly not at all worried about excess heat during the summer. With this cold snap we have in Atlanta this weekend I'm not comfortable at all. My garage is only a few degrees warmer than outside.

I'm curious as to which material is best for cold weather. I've seen the kits that are hard styrofoam and then there's fiberglass kits. I'm more inclined towards the fiberglass due to weighing less so there's less chance of overloading the door motor. I'm guessing the reflective panels are for heat rejection. Correct?

Suggestion or experience welcome.

Thanks

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 12-10-2017, 10:56 AM

I used the stuff that looks like paper backed insulation. It was a joke in my experience. I cleaned my door with w&g remover, used the adhesive tabs that comes with the kit, and after a few months the insulation still pulled off. If I were to do it again, I think I'd hire a spray foam guy to come and just fill them. Cheaper than a door, light weight, etc. If you wanted to pretty it up you could get some thin plastic and screw or rivet that onto the edge of the door panels, but it'd probably be slightly wavy. If it's a long term deal, spend the money and get a quality door.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Using white duct tape because the tabs don't hold well is the primary negative response I've read. Which would honestly be fine by me.

This insulation business just got more complicated. See, my house originally had the whole garage under the master and third bedrooms. That garage was sectioned in half with the forward half being turned into an office. It appears that they did insulate the office area when they did this work.

Eventually, another garage was built onto the house and isn't under anything. So I have a garage and a half. The new garage doesn't appear to have insulation on any of the walls. There's no insulation in the ceiling of the old garage either. This leaves the floor of the master without any insulating barrier except for whatever the sheet rock and exterior brick walls of the garage provide. Guess I'm looking into DIY spray in insulation options now.

Thanks Mitch. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:06 PM

Trey, I can’t help with the door, but I researched spray foam all summer, and the diy kits are hit and miss. I know guys in the business that spray homes all day/every day. It’s become very popular, hence more affordable, in the south.
But even still you can save about half the price, if you do it yourself, just need to allow for extra material. It never goes as far you thought it would. I had planned to do my shop this summer, and install HVAC...man time flies!
What about this stupid snow!!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 PM

The stupid snow has kept me out of the garage all weekend. I'm glad it will be gone in a few days.

You know, even if the spray insulation doesn't get full coverage, I think I'll be alright. It's just the garage after all and it would be better than nothing which is what I have now. I have brick on one side of the garage. Given that they didn't put up insulation, I can't be certain they did the moisture barrier either. That rules out using spray in cellulose insulation.

I'll keep looking. I'm fortunate that I can afford to add the insulation and the house is definitely worth it. I just wasn't wanting to take the time to do something like this.

Thanks Scott. Do you have anyone you can recommend to do the spray foam keeping in mind that it would be with sheet rock already in place?

Old 12-10-2017, 07:14 PM

well here in Canada .....lol... I have a buddy who does insulating for a living , bought him a bottle of JD and he sprayed (spray foam) my door . You guys have to also realize cold or hot insulation will help . Having said that my buddy did the door and I then took a grinder knocking down the few high spots . I bought a couple thin sheets of textured aluminum from work . then used stainless rivets to attach to the back of the door . looks and functions great
Old 12-10-2017, 08:41 PM

For what it's worth.

The type of doors that I have down in Houston are the aluminum clopay multi sectional that have the individual sections with the hinges and rollers with the springs over head.
I have three separate doors.

I ended up cutting 1/2" blue foam board bought at the local Lowes and cut it to fit the individual sections. You end up flexing it to snap in place and it holds well and works great for the price.
It makes a major difference when heating and cooling my 5 car garage.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 AM

Trey,
I bought the "Corning fiberglass kits" they all eventually fell out.

I then cut individual hardboard panels and screwed them over each door panel to hold the insulation batt in. That was a mistake because the door won't balance right now. Luckily I hardly ever open and close the door in that particular shop.

Moral of the stroll the individual insulation batts didn't work out for me...

Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Trey,
I bought the "Corning fiberglass kits" they all eventually fell out.

I then cut individual hardboard panels and screwed them over each door panel to hold the insulation batt in. That was a mistake because the door won't balance right now. Luckily I hardly ever open and close the door in that particular shop.

Moral of the stroll the individual insulation batts didn't work out for me...

Joe

Just call a garage door guy give him a case of beer to toss another turn or two on your spring. Should be good to go after that
Old 12-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
Just call a garage door guy give him a case of beer to toss another turn or two on your spring. Should be good to go after that
I wish it was a torsion spring I'd have done that myself :-)

It's a cheap 9x7 with the long springs on each side, it doesn't have enough balls left in it to pull itself up ...

My 68 Torino