User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 AM

Now that's a proper update

My 68 Torino
The Following User Says Thank You to jarhead For This Useful Post:
Gmachine1911 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM

AAW Classic Update kit going in, ididit steering column fitment, hydraulic clutch installed and pedal modified for proper angle. I went back and forth on the wiring for the wiper motor. I wanted to integrate it into the AAW harness but didn't wanna run the wiper harness over to the fuse block. Instead I opted to run it thru the firewall at the back of the engine. Re-wrapped it in some better Painless Wiring classic wiring wrap. The woven material looks far better and cleaner than the cheap plastic stuff. All of the wiring except what's under the dash will get wrapped in the same stuff. Now to get the brake lines plumbed.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Gmachine1911 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-29-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM

So we're getting up to the current timeframe. Everything up to this point I've posted was all done in the last 9 months but wanted to bring you up to speed.
Last weekend I got started on the brake lines. Got the fronts done and part of the rear.

As a new development, I've opted for installing an LS3/525 in lieu of the big block. By doing so I had to make a couple of minor changes. First being the engine mounts and second being the front coil over springs. Called up DSE and got the stuff I needed and got the 550lb springs installed this past weekend as well. Have a new set of BBC 650# springs if anybody needs some.
As planned i went with the 1.5" setback mounts which I know may limit me on header selection but I've pretty well decided to go either DSE or Hooker Blackhearts. The DSE price is a tough pill to swallow, though...we'll see.

I ordered my engine from Pace Performance about a month ago and opted for the dyno break-in service and just got word this morning that it's shipping today!

Also, I had ordered my Forgelines about 2 months ago and they'll be shipping out this week as well so things are starting to happen at an alarming rate!

I'll keep you guys posted with progress but expect the posts to come at a more normal pace as it'll be in "real time" from here on out...thanks for tuning in!
Attached Images

syborg tt (12-29-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:10 AM

More brake lines...I bought the Eastwood line flaring tool and I must say it does a great job. The stainless is tough as nails but makes for a good workout!
The goal was to keep the lines as symmetrical and close to the firewall as possible without interfering in the removal of any parts down the road. It's crazy how much time (and money) I've spent just searching for/buying small detail items like clips, clamps, etc. if anyone has a source, I need some 3/16" twin brake line clamps preferably aluminum that will hold two lines side by side. I've seen them all over but for some reason they've been avoiding me in my search.

Side note: like an idiot, I never did delete the wiring harness holder from the firewall. That's from all the back and forth on the wiper harness. Indecisiveness is the enemy of progress.
Attached Images

syborg tt (12-29-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
Love this pic for some reason! This is the same place/position this thing would stay in for the next 6 months...to this very day, actually, although not for much longer but I'll get to that part later.

One thing I didn't mention yet was the importance of this build to me on an emotional level. As I said, I've had this car for 26 years...it's been wrecked by me, painted by me, disassembled more times than I care to count, stolen from my driveway by a couple of D-bags and totaled out while running from the cops. It's also been loved by me, hated by me and enjoyed by me, my wife and two young boys. But it was by necessity that I decided to turn this car into the car I'd always dreamed it would be. Shortly after my wife and I were engaged, she was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 25. After surgery and some treatment, we were able to move forward with life, got married, had two wonderful boys 11 months apart (that's a whole other story), and went about living. It was 7 years later that her cancer came back and had spread to her lungs, so again we went thru various treatments and therapies and we stayed positive and kept the faith and stayed focused on living. By age 37, it had spread to her brain and by age 38 she had won her battle and was resting in her eternal home.

I only mention this because I learned many things in those years we were together (20 in all)...many things about myself, about my faith in Christ and about how amazing and selfless a gift she was to me. Among those things I've learned and tried to instill in my boys is that at the end of this life, having watched my best friend take her last breaths, our legacy is the only thing we leave behind in this world that can continue to make an impact once we're gone. How we treat people, how we deal with people both personally and professionally is what we leave as a testament to our character.

So after being on the back burner for a long time, this project was born from a necessity to keep my mind focused on something productive as much as it was a desire to make it a project of bringing the boys and I together to build something we could enjoy while at the same time teaching them the same skills my Dad taught me...

I promise I won't rain on the parade again! But sometimes the back story is the main story!
Just started reading this thread. No rain; the message of positive thinking is an inspiration to me. Had my Malibu for 47 years, been through much the same with it as you, similar life struggles and am starting another rebuild of my own. Best wishes and thanks for sharing!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
The Following User Says Thank You to rixtrix1 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-29-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 PM

Alrighty, Friday was a good day for progress. It started with the delivery of my Pace Performance LS3 376/525 and BFG Rivals! I've been eagerly awaiting the motor partly because, well, it's pretty cool, but also because it's a big piece of the puzzle needed to move the build forward. I also got a few other necessities such as the engine controller, starter, etc. Currently, my Mast oil pan is on back order so until I have that, I can't put the engine in the car for test fitting.

I'll post some detailed info/pics on the engine fitment, engine mounts, headers, etc. just because in my research, I seemed to see a lot of different info and opinions but not many pics to show as examples of the various components. With that said, my setup is as follows:
DSE Hydroformed subframe, DSE 1.5" setback motor mounts, LS3, Mast Motorsports oil pan, Tremec T56 with Quick Time bell housing, DSE stainless headers and Holley Mid-Mount accessory drive system.

Just FYI, I paid to have the "dyno break-in" service done on the engine to ensure everything was seated and had a decent tune on it so I was curious to see where the horsepower actually landed as compared to advertised. Pace basically takes a GM crate LS3 376/430 and installs GM's ASA cam. For $1,000 less, the only difference is that the warranty on Pace's version is now a 12 month parts only (you provide the labor) instead of GM's standard crate warranty...a risk I was comfortable with given the nature of modern engines and the fact that this is all stuff GM provides themselves so it's not like it's a radical setup. Anyway, the dyno results on mine were peak corrected HP of 525.2 @ 6,200 rpm and peak corrected torque of 495.0 @ 5,200 rpm...not bad considering the big block I had didn't make that much HP and weighed about 500lbs more!

I'll post some pics and additional info soon but wanted to get this out there while it was fresh in my head...
RdHuggr68 (10-28-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
Just started reading this thread. No rain; the message of positive thinking is an inspiration to me. Had my Malibu for 47 years, been through much the same with it as you, similar life struggles and am starting another rebuild of my own. Best wishes and thanks for sharing!
Thank you, rixtrix1! 47 years?...that's awesome! I'd say there's a small percentage of us who can say we've owned our cars that long uninterrupted! Life can and will definitely happen and you have to do what you have to do but it's great if, through it all, you can keep your toy(s)!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 PM

So Friday was a big day for some goodies! Got my Pace Performance LS3 376/525 and some BFG Rivals. I opted for the "dyno break-in" service as well to get the engine rough tuned and broken in under load. As advertised, the engine had a corrected peak HP of 525.2 @ 6,200rpm and a corrected 495 ft-lbs of torque at 5,200rpm.
Got some other key items such as the engine harness, starter, Mast Motorsports oil pan, DSE headers and Holley Mid-Mount accessory drive kit. The drive kit and oil pan are on back order but that'll give me a chance to get the wiring routed.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2018, 09:21 PM

I love these tires...
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Finally, after much anticipation, my Forgelines arrived! Got the tires mounted and looks good to have it sitting on it's suspension again! I've gotta say, these things are quality thru and thru...I'm running 315's in the back and 275's in the front.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gmachine1911 For This Useful Post:
EVIL SS (11-24-2020), shelteredV (05-27-2018)