Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-24-2009, 01:30 PM

Love it.

We're going to be doing this to the extreme on my car when I finally get it in the shop for bodywork. Have you guys calculated wheel sizes with the wider fenders? It'd be amazing to fit a 315 up front and a 335 out back.

Then I'm thinking vinyl wrap for a few years until I commit to paint and get bored with tracking the car.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:59 PM

This is what a 69 looks like with a 2 inch stretch & mini tub with no frame notching on 345 30 19's... We have not done this yet to a 69s front fenders on any of the cars here @ the shop.. You wanna be the first!?!??! I have two project 69's that I will sell one of them.. you can pick one & we get started & keep enjoy open tracking the one you have now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Love it.

We're going to be doing this to the extreme on my car when I finally get it in the shop for bodywork. Have you guys calculated wheel sizes with the wider fenders? It'd be amazing to fit a 315 up front and a 335 out back.

Then I'm thinking vinyl wrap for a few years until I commit to paint and get bored with tracking the car.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 PM

Thats flat out sick right there! I like that a lot.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
This is what a 69 looks like with a 2 inch stretch & mini tub with no frame notching on 345 30 19's... We have not done this yet to a 69s front fenders on any of the cars here @ the shop.. You wanna be the first!?!??! I have two project 69's that I will sell one of them.. you can pick one & we get started & keep enjoy open tracking the one you have now!!
GREAT JOB! I like it. Looks killer.
Please post pics when car is complete and in paint as well!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

the rear quarters on a 69 already bulge out some from factory I can't imagine another 2 inches without doing the same to the front to keep it looking proportional. Do you have a shot of what it looks like from the front looking back?

What does it do the the rear bumper fitting? also what does it to the rear spoiler fitting? On the 70 camaro it has to effect the 3 piece spoiler.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM

What would this do to the handeling of the car if you don't widen the front track as well?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 PM

This reminds me of the wide bodykits out there mostly for the ricer boys. Now looking at the above fabrication pics, you guys go all out with the fab/bodywork...which I'm loving by the way. But these other kids on the streets, do they just tack the fender flares on, cut the stock lip out and slap on some wider tires, kind of like a rush hack job? Just wondering b/c some of these "tuner" boys have fake turbos, coffee can exhaust tips, big wings, and the best one of all...the turbo whistle emanating from the exhaust tip from a kit they bought on E-bay for that turbo sound. Beautiful rides by the way.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awr68 View Post
What would this do to the handeling of the car if you don't widen the front track as well?
Well, it wouldn't do anything. In theory you would have some improvement in handling if the wheels were extended out to take advantage of the stretch (giving a wider wheelbase).

In other words you would want to do your wheels, especially the rear, to fit within your stretched panels.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM

The 69 lines in my opinion are the best of the first gen Camaro.. they have bulge to them that makes them stand apart.. I wanted to stretch the front fenders but the customer liked it with only a rear stretch.. Here is a pic I have of the front view..

The bumper bolted right up.. Have not installed a spolier yet but I think we should not any problems.. It is hard to explain how the rear of the qtr & upper did not move much when we stretched the qtrs.. on 67 & 68 we have had to cut the bumper to fit but I think we found a way to keep from doing that modification.. have not moved further than what you see in the pics for 70's so I can't tell what it will do to a 3 pcs spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
the rear quarters on a 69 already bulge out some from factory I can't imagine another 2 inches without doing the same to the front to keep it looking proportional. Do you have a shot of what it looks like from the front looking back?

What does it do the the rear bumper fitting? also what does it to the rear spoiler fitting? On the 70 camaro it has to effect the 3 piece spoiler.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks Steve!

Lets use a C6 Z06 Corvette as an example.. 325 30 19 in the rear & 275 35 18 if I remember correctly in the front
C6 Z51 285 35 19 in the rear & 245 40 18 in the front

Pretty much same chassis platiform(cant find spell check) except the Z06 has the flares with additional suspension upgrades & brakes & yadada

Wider is better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Well, it wouldn't do anything. In theory you would have some improvement in handling if the wheels were extended out to take advantage of the stretch (giving a wider wheelbase).

In other words you would want to do your wheels, especially the rear, to fit within your stretched panels.