Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
anytime and I am glad I could help
I appreciate it.

I know it's not high performance related, but I have a/c on my car that was not working for quite a while. since I swapped the engine. I wanted to also relocate the a/c lines a bit.

I picked up my kit today, and got to work. Things went well and I just have to test and fill the system now.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 PM

After driving a little more this weekend, it was apparent that the rack needed a little more tweaking.

I jacked it up tonight after work, and found that the preload on the front wheel bearings was just a little loose. That was a bit of a surprise, so I tightened up that a bit more.

Next was onto the steering rack, and adjusted it a little more.

After taking it for a test drive, I think it is really close now. I might have to adjust the toe in a little. I set it at 1/16 but it feels like it might be at zero.

I also want to review the caster and camber, just in case.

I have a bit of a line leak, that is introducing air into the system, and causing a little bit of steering pump groaning noise. I think I have one tracked down, and will try and see if I can find other possible leak areas tomorrow night
Old 02-08-2018, 12:34 AM

Set up the car for alignment last night, so it did not take me too long to get started on checking the settings.
The caster and camber were a little different from side to side, plus the TCP alignment specs use a little more aggressive caster with the power rack, than I had before (i think)

I really like the TCP upper control arms for the caster camber adjustment. It's pretty easy once the camber is set to slightly tweak the UCA to get the desired caster

One side done, it will be easy to do the other tomorrow night, then recheck the toe. Hopefully equalizing the two sides and the toe in recheck will make it further refined
Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 PM

wow Doug, allot of changes since the last time I looked at this, you are really moving along!

Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 03-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
wow Doug, allot of changes since the last time I looked at this, you are really moving along!

Joe
Thanks Joe

I've been tweaking things a bit over the last few weeks after coming off of the week long flu.

There was some clattering of the 3" exhaust on the chassis over the rear axle, so I did a bit of fitting and clearancing
That worked well. It's still a little noisier that I like (must be getting old) so I am planning on adding some resonator tubes on the tailpipes

I had some more tweaking on the steering to do as well. After centering the rack, the steering wheel itself was not centered. I pulled it off today and rotated it a couple splines, and it's dead center now.
I also found the grant adapter was a little loose for some reason. This added a tiny bit of looseness to the steering. I tightened that up, and the TCP rack steering is feeling really fantastic after a couple quick drives.

I have a little longer drive planned tonight still. Should be good, I think.

The last thing I have to work on, is the fan belt system. I've done the best that I can. It seems like it is just not able to work well under the low speed demands of the steering. I hate the belt groaning, so I am going to get a serpentine system of some sort.

I just have to make certain this fits between the radiator and the fan
Bummer that I have to change the pulley on the KRC pump
Old 03-04-2018, 10:52 PM

If its really "groaning" that is almost for sure something in the P/S system, not the belt. IF the belt was mis-aligned or slipping it would be "squealing".

its your car so you know better than me but something to think about. I seem to remember something about theose TCP racks that maybe the servo groans a bit at low speed load but that is a very vague memory. Generally groaning, besides a plain old worn out pump, can be cause by air bubbles getting introduced into the reservoir, but this is usually an issue with aftermarket style tanks with the return hose coming in above the fluid level or similar. But I think you still have a FoMoCo style OEM pump in which case it would just be something worn out maybe. Just a suggestion as belts are not usually described as groaning and you mentinoed it happens under steering load.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
If its really "groaning" that is almost for sure something in the P/S system, not the belt. IF the belt was mis-aligned or slipping it would be "squealing".

its your car so you know better than me but something to think about. I seem to remember something about theose TCP racks that maybe the servo groans a bit at low speed load but that is a very vague memory. Generally groaning, besides a plain old worn out pump, can be cause by air bubbles getting introduced into the reservoir, but this is usually an issue with aftermarket style tanks with the return hose coming in above the fluid level or similar. But I think you still have a FoMoCo style OEM pump in which case it would just be something worn out maybe. Just a suggestion as belts are not usually described as groaning and you mentinoed it happens under steering load.
Thanks for your suggestion, Preston.

I have a vacuum pump for testing for leaks, and although I had a small early leak in the system, I see no more aeration of the fluid. I will have to get someone to spin the wheel for me, so I can observe.
It only happens under low engine rpm under turning and usually when the engine is warmed up.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Planning on doing a bit more tweaking on the steering system this weekend, since I have some sunny weather.

I think that maybe the power steering fluid is getting aerated as the car drives and gets warmed up (ie does not make any groaning noises when cold) I don't see any foaming in the fluid. One would think if there is any air in the system, the ps pump would make noise constantly cold or warm.

Next I'll be tackling the steering toe adjustment. The rack and pinion system has a really great feel. I think I will revisit the whole spec for the alignment. In particular the toe.
They suggest a neutral toe, for cornering, and toe in for straight line performance. I "feel" a little darty in the corners, so want to check where the toe is once again, now that I've driven for a bit. Recheck all the fasteners.

Then I guess it's almost time for the oil change and transmission change.

Finally the pace a t work is winding down, and I think I'll have the energy at night to do this lol
Old 03-14-2018, 03:31 PM

Default niiiiiiiiiiiiice

This thing is awesome.. I could swear I was subscribed to the thread, but apparently not! Hope to see this thing in person on the streets one day!

Cheers,
Joe

Old 03-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe View Post
This thing is awesome.. I could swear I was subscribed to the thread, but apparently not! Hope to see this thing in person on the streets one day!

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks very much for your comments, Joel . It feels like if I can iron out the steering noise issue, quiet down the evil exhaust a little and install the t56, it will be a kind of good looking, semi-refined, and very evil road car lol

I have some work to do this spring though