Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Supporting Member

I'll keep an eye on the INCINER8OR project but I gotta tell ya Steve...after walking through the Detroit Auto Show a few weeks ago and seeing all the new sports cars with Paddle Shifters on them...I'm starting to get intrigued. If I can find a way to eliminate the floor shifter, It's a safe bet I'll be a future customer.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:14 AM

http://www.holeshot.com/old/shifters/shifter3.html

if the bike guys can do something like that i dont see why we cant. just would take some imagination thats it
Old 02-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Yeah. They've been available for motorcycles for a long time. Different deal though.
With a sequential trans, all you need is a solenoid and power interrupt--no robotics. And it's a motorcycle, so there's no Reverse or "Park" to worry about.

With an H pattern manual, you need full blown robotics. Clutch in, gear change, blip throttle, clutch out. It takes some heavy computer processing that's matched to the application (engine and vehicle parameters) Ferrari has pulled it off. But that's because they sell complete, turn key cars. It may be a long time before we see a practical adaptation to hot rods because every car is different.

With an Automatic, you only need simple robotics (just a linear actuator motor) to overcome the detent. The processor is simple as well. No big deal. But you are relying on that processor. You may have to worry about the robotics jamming or worse putting your car in reverse or park at the wrong time--say, at 100mph.

So, it is entirely possible to eliminate the mechanical shifter. But I personally want to mechanically isolate Park, Reverse and Neutral from the performance shifting equation in my car--which means keeping the shifter. And from a manufacturer's standpoint, I sure don't want the liability--which means keeping the mechanical shifter. So I recommend maintaning some kind of mechanical shifter.

"But your honor, my product only controls the forward gears... There is no way to engage reverse from the steering wheel."

It's a matter of safety and peace of mind. Mechanically, plunk the sucker into Drive and you can fully concentrate on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear.

The paddle shifter is effortless--no more ratchet action. No thought involved. Gear changes become intuitive, so you'll be paddle shifting like a madman. The last thing you want to worry about is a computer deciding when you should be in Park or Reverse. The Porsche Tiptronic design follows the same common sense approach. Forward gears only.

Maybe that's why Mooneyes dropped the pushbutton deal.

Ridetech.com
Old 02-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Supporting Member

Yeah....I guess I don't want to go flying through my windshield on the highway or anything (not that that wouldn't be fun, mind you). So I guess I'll keep a watch on INCINER8OR and see this small shifter that they use. Thanks for the input Steve.