Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Goodguys Events
User Name
Password

Old 03-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Big thanks to Revved for coming over to help a fellow member he had never met. I only expected a quick stop by from him to listen to my motor and offer a suggestion on what the problem may be. Next thing I know he resetting my rockers. Before the evening was over we had the from end of the motor torn down to the cam just to verify it hadnt skipped a tooth on the chain.

We left it at that point for me to go ahead and pull the motor for a complete overhaul.... Well after some thought over night, I decided the next day I would swap back to the old cam just to see if there would be a difference. Spent all Friday putting it back together and fired it up that night. Unfortunately, still have the same problem.

Again... over night I think it over and decide "what the heck I'll cruise it to the track and just park it Saturday." So this morning I get the car emptied out from the SEMA road trip and head towards the track. To my surprise, the motor feels pretty good despite the horrid sound from under the hood. So, with the car being warmed up, I lay into the first 3 gears spinning the tires all the way. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. That ticking noise accompanying the open exhaust noise is more of a knock now and I think Im down a cylinder. Turned around and limped back to the house. Oh well. time for a new valve train.

Gathered up the wife and baby and went to the show to watch some of the action and say hi to the guys. I got as far as the Ridetech booth and chatted to Rodney when it started raining. Got a couple nice t-shirts and found a part I need to order for my rear coil overs mounts.

I'll head back over there tomorrow to catch some Autocross action. Hopefully the rained out Saturday will result in many of you coming back out for more fun tomorrow.

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon
Old 03-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

I'm still here but the truck is sitting in about 4" of water...

I'm renaming TexAss --- Seattle of the South

BY THE WAY -- you get $150 OFF USCA EVENT if you were here this weekend --- so best come out SUNDAY and save a fast $150!!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,369 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, that is excellent Sean.

Greg,

Sorry to hear about the ...ugh.

Skip
Old 03-15-2014, 07:02 PM

Dunno what your talking about Weld... I look outside and see sun right now...

Welcome to Texas, where if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes...
Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Here's some more fun while at Good-Guys Lonestar Nationals.... I got to go for a NASCAR ride!!

They went slower than "normal" due to the sprinkles... but the G's in the corners are amazing!!

This is video from "my" car.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Good Guys

Greg, it is to bad the camera was not on you as you got out witha big smile on your face!!

Glad you enjoyed that.

Hey also we did not get rain until after lunch. Tomorrow we will run again.

Goodguy Ed
Old 03-15-2014, 08:47 PM

Default Good guys

Greg,

Did you find the loves truck stop? I wasn't thinking I should have let you borrow my mega cab to go check out ft worth tonight.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2keaton11 View Post
Greg,

Did you find the loves truck stop? I wasn't thinking I should have let you borrow my mega cab to go check out ft worth tonight.

I did Keaton! It was right where you said it was!

Got another zillion dollars worth of fuel --- and some freight retainers or whatever they're called - so it was a good trip.

You have no idea how wet I was though by the time I got the tractor and trailer back together! Just wow... it rains big in Texas!

Glad you came by today -- sorry it was starting to rain - but come out tomorrow and enjoy the sunshine and the auto X. My guess is people haven't had enough show yet and they should come in droves tomorrow I hope!

Funny --- I was talking to Gwen (my wife) on my way back from Love's... and was telling her that when Vinnie (the driver for the big Optima Prime truck) and I came in from the west - we were talking on the CB about how far away we were from TMS and that we could tell it was huge because we could see it from such a distance ---- but on the way back from Loves --- I couldn't see it AT ALL! Even from half a mile out! That was the peak of the rain I think. Thank goodness for GPS!! LOL
Old 03-15-2014, 10:11 PM

I was out there for a while today. Took a autocross ride with a friend in his 505ci powered Dodge truck. That was a blast and certainly did not help my need of being in fast car again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I'm in the WHITE toter home and 3 car stacker trailer parked at the FAR NORTH END of the INSIDE of the track -- down by turn 3 and 4 ---

I'll be in the toter --- or at the auto x --- and if you find the Hobaughs or Bret Voelkel they'll know where I am.

I've left the '33 in the trailer this morning due to the threat of rain and possible "damaging hail" in the area.

Voelkel - The boys at Optima - and Hobaughs all have my phone number so anyone trying to find me can find those guys and get hold of me!
Sorry I missed you. Left when the rain started and have family obligations Sunday so can't make it back out.

Richard J.
If only I had the time talent and money to build everything in my head
Old 03-15-2014, 10:38 PM

Supposed to be in the 40's tomorrow with a big wind out of the north. Hope you guys brought something warm to wear.

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon