Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Since I'm doing wiring and its not that exciting I skipped posting last week. I want to get my wiring laid out now so I can build mounting brackets and such that way I'm not hopefully cutting holes or welding stuff once the car is painted. Once everything is in its place it will get taped in factory style abrasion felt tape clean and out of the way.

Lets start with the most boring, I did some more engine wiring. I have power wires roughed out to where I'm going to put the fuse block and I have one bank of coils done. I'm missing a color wire for the passenger bank before I can finish that side up (also a good reason to start my wiring now, I'll see what I'm missing).

I started the body side of the Infinity Box install by mounting the master cell, the InMotion cell (controls windows and door latches) and the rear power cell and getting the harness run in the general direction the wires need to go.

Then I started with the sub assemblies such as separating the master module inputs to where they should go. The power window switches mount on the center console so I have a main harness connector and then the switch harness so everything is easy to service should I need to take it apart.

The trunk harness is also roughed out and the heat shrink label maker makes things easy to know what does what when I get to the finial wiring.

Also part of the wiring is the Vapor Works controllers. It takes a min to figure out what goes where with this system, but its much simpler then it seems.
Goosesdad (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 PM

I can't wait to hear how that Infinity system works. It looks pretty cool and the price isn't too bad. Nice build!
The Following User Says Thank You to EVIL SS For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (08-11-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 05:57 PM

Ok so to get everyone up to speed quick fast I quit my job at Chevy in San Antonio and moved to The Woodlands and went back to Cadillac which is part of why there haven't been much of an update. The only thing that sucks is the shop is 8-3 instead of 8-5 so I lose some time to be able to work on the car. Better then no progress though. I've also been wiring and thats kinda hard to show progress on since its adding a circuit here and there, not that exciting.

So lets start at the last update. To make my harness as much as one bundle as factory would be I went ahead and ran the door speaker wires and put a connector at the console so if I needed to remove stuff I don't have to completely take the car apart.

Then I moved onto the fuse blocks and getting them mounted. The interior block I mounted where the C6 keyfob pocket used to be since its useless oin my car. The underhood fuse block I used a block from a 2000 Astro van. Its the same block that GM uses is their crate engine harness.

One of the guys on here built me a vacuum pump control module and I mounted that inside the car after wiring it up.

Then it was just some odds and ends stuff like adding a third brake lamp flasher for extra safety, the ignition switch connector, and finishing up the power window switch harness.

After that I moved onto wiring the under hood fuse block with as much as I already had from the ECM and misc. sensors. The nice thing about working at a dealer is we normally have all the right terminals in stock so I don't have to order them or scab cut wires together.

Which brings me to this past weekend. I mounted the HVAC Dakota digital controller and harness, started wiring the Infinity Box inDash unit and more Master cell inputs like the brake and clutch. Also again, nice to have access to the right terminals to keep as much OEM as possible.

camcojb (09-08-2020), syborg tt (12-27-2020), waynieZ (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:45 PM

Nice job! I guess you like the printer, It will make it so much easier if down the road you need to find a problem.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:19 PM

Cool

Good to see an update, I was wondering about it.

BTW, I worked at Cadillac as a line tech for a lot of years. Like you said connectors that would be hard to find elsewhere are usually on hand.

Just as an off-topic aside, have you noticed how young the Cadillac factory reps/executives are these days? The guy responsible for all electronics development looked like a 20-something.
The Following User Says Thank You to zz430droptop67rs For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-27-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 PM

Nice progress!!

Old 09-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
Nice job! I guess you like the printer, It will make it so much easier if down the road you need to find a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevy View Post
Nice progress!!
Thanks guy. Yes, I love that printer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430droptop67rs View Post
Good to see an update, I was wondering about it.

BTW, I worked at Cadillac as a line tech for a lot of years. Like you said connectors that would be hard to find elsewhere are usually on hand.

Just as an off-topic aside, have you noticed how young the Cadillac factory reps/executives are these days? The guy responsible for all electronics development looked like a 20-something.
Yes and most have never worked on a car before lol.Cadillac wen through a re identify kinda thing a few years back to aim at a younger generation which is part of why we have numbers in the car names now (CT5, CT6, ect.) and gave the brand a more sport luxury feel. That was helped by getting younger people in the company.
syborg tt (12-27-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 06:11 PM

Been a min since I updated this. Basically more wiring happened then I didn't feel like working on the car for a bit, some other random things instead and a trip out of state for a wedding. I decided to take a break from wiring because I'm tired of it and I need some more parts and to fab some more mounts before I can go any farther with it. Lets skip to the fun stuff now.

I wasn't super excited with the Borla muffler. I wanted a real 3" duel in and out X pipe muffler. The problem was the one I wanted that would work for my setup only came in a kit Holley sells for 6th gen Camaros. Luck would have it that a buddy of mine got a job with them and was able to get one for me. The plan here is in on one half the muffler with a vacuum cut out that will me module controlled like Camaros and Vettes are for a mild to wild tune ability.

So with that checked out I went to the front of the car to slice up some expensive carbon fiber. I need more room up front to fit the tires with ZR1 brakes and the vette suspension. I gained enough room I hope. I need to find tires to check the fitment. Planning on getting this side done before moving onto the driver side.

dhutton (11-14-2020), Goosesdad (11-16-2020), syborg tt (12-27-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 10:07 PM

It amazes me what your doing, I love it!

CamaroAJ (11-16-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 05:36 PM

Man.... I bet there was a bead of sweat before that first
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScotI For This Useful Post:
dhutton (11-14-2020), Sonar Chief (11-14-2020), syborg tt (12-27-2020)