Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Very Nice ! I was going to suggest the trim to check for fitment. I should have known better to think you didn't already think of it... Its looking great.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 AM

With the DSE tubs, you will still have to make a filler panel to fill the void on the driver's side tub caused by the tub being made for 68-9 Camaros and not 67's. It's simple and I'm sure you will be able to handle it
Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar Chief View Post
Yes, resolved.... returned! Spoke with the DSE rep this past week and he assured me they will fit a 67 Camaro, I will order DSE mini tubs this week!

I am making progress on the roof, I thought I could get further than I did this weekend making this dang corner but this is complicated , or I am really slow.

Anyway, the AMD roof front corners were crap, picture 1, and the roof line didn't follow the molding worth a crap .... so fix it! Easier said than done follow along with the pictures, making the roof line follow the molding and then making the corner piece in 3D.

AMD corner .... crap stamping!

Working the roof line.

Three piece to make this dang corner PITA!!!!!

Clamped in place .... getting there!

Hopefully, only a couple more hours, days? Some hammer dolly work and then finish the welding ... then the OTHER SIDE!!!

Thanks for looking...
It sucks having to do this much fab work but my AMD corners were off but probally not that bad,I am thankful that at least there are parts available or we would not have this enjoyable and expensive hobby
Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
Very Nice ! I was going to suggest the trim to check for fitment. I should have known better to think you didn't already think of it... Its looking great.
Thanks Wayne, you should know I would already be on top of that ... I just wished I didn't have to open up a can of worms every time I touch something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoshark View Post
With the DSE tubs, you will still have to make a filler panel to fill the void on the driver's side tub caused by the tub being made for 68-9 Camaros and not 67's. It's simple and I'm sure you will be able to handle it
I am all ready for that ... as long as they fit like they say this should be a piece of cake, round two

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbed69 View Post
It sucks having to do this much fab work but my AMD corners were off but probally not that bad,I am thankful that at least there are parts available or we would not have this enjoyable and expensive hobby
I wished they weren't this bad either ... sometimes it makes me wonder if they have ever seen a 67 Camaro, really

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM

Looks good Chief!! just read the last 10 pages, nice work,

I've been laying low, trying to get my building done then get back to the car, etc,

70 Nova SS street racer, ugly,
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

Michael, the new frame rail cutouts were shipped out. You should have them any day now.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve68 View Post
Looks good Chief!! just read the last 10 pages, nice work,

I've been laying low, trying to get my building done then get back to the car, etc,
Thanks Steve, it's been a journey ... get back onto that car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassisworks View Post
Michael, the new frame rail cutouts were shipped out. You should have them any day now.
Got them Wednesday ... now everyone can get closeouts for their non staggered Camaro, thanks for the service and I'm glad I could be part of the solution

Wished I could cut stuff like this ... quality fer sure, Chassisworks.

This is where the closeouts go if you're wondering ... drivers side shock tower!

Last edited by Sonar Chief; 07-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up Update 7/20

Wow, where does time go? Been in the field lately and my DSE mini tubs came to the house this past week .... fit them in that night and I they were close to 2.75" wider but not exactly. Called and talked to Matt at DSE and a fellow member here and they say ya gotta push the metal around.... 1/4" at the front floor pan is alot of tension and then welding it to the flanges? The tubs fit the contour of the outer tub good, the stamping is 18 gauge and not as crisp as one would like to see .... there is a gap between outer and inner and I guess people just beat the heck outa the metal to get it close enough to weld?

Not wanting to weld a pie shape piece of metal into the wheel tub (read warp tub) I though I might kill two birds with one big stick .... straighten out the flange (thinking outside the box, don't add metal ... it's already there, the flange!) the outer wheel house is screwed in and that is my edge to remark and MY 2.75" is the inside line ..... re bend with the width/ location that I need to make up

So, small cut lines and some hammer and dolly work she's flat .... working on the closeouts first for the reference to clamp everything first. Take a look

Probably the only one to ever cut up a DSE tub

Took longer to jig than weld!

Stayed at a 90, finish the front side later!

These are the Chassisworks closeouts they made me!

I will stitch weld the front of the closeout and spray some of Eastwood's frame coating inside the hole there and the frame ... hopefully get that closed out tomorrow and maybe even the frame.

Call me crazy if you want .... a 2.75" mini tub should be 2.75" wider at all points and mine will be just that.

Thanks for looking .....

Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 AM

You are definitely taking the correct steps in making the DSE tubs fit perfect. I wanted to go the extra mile and do just what you are doing, but decided I just didn't want to put that much effort to get that 'perfect' fit in the wheel wells. I was being a bit lazy
Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoshark View Post
You are definitely taking the correct steps in making the DSE tubs fit perfect. I wanted to go the extra mile and do just what you are doing, but decided I just didn't want to put that much effort to get that 'perfect' fit in the wheel wells. I was being a bit lazy
Jeremy .... thanks for talking to me Sat., never would have guessed you'd have an accent being from Mississippi , almost got the closeout ready for the mig gun.
Used Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating on the inside area and that seemed to cover all that got in it's way (omni directional nozzle) .... I did have to tape the brass nozzle to a coat hanger wire so I could aim it and keep it from being willy nilly on the tubing. Had a pix but ImageShack would not post it correctly.

Finished the outside corner, dress and install!

Almost pulled the gun last nite .... it was late and I was trying to hold this closeout on 3 axis and weld so I called it, I'll try again tonight.

Last edited by Sonar Chief; 04-10-2016 at 06:14 PM.