Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Have you seen what small tire cars have been doing on course lately? Bret with the 48 Hour Camaro and Donny and Angela with Lefty Lucy (or the pizza car) have been kicking arse and taking names on 275s and 265s respectively lately. Plus this lets you run RE71s which I and many other prefer.
Not. Helping.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:30 PM

Sean, condolences on that house disaster. That really stinks. I had a septic burp many years ago, but it only reached the shower/tub level, fortunately. The smell remains etched upon my mind, however . . .

It's amazing what you can get done when you haven't the ability to focus. In a jacked up, terrible week, you get more done than I do in a week where I only work ten hours (from my couch, no less). You are the man!

You want the 315s. Your roided-up Volvo will destroy the 275s in no time. I've been on the track a couple of times with my square 315 setup now, and I am living proof that you can really drive like a complete loser without screwing up (unless your brake bias is completely jacked--don't ask me how I know). That said, regardless of how uber-custom your setup is, 315s seem to take a whole lot of work to clear (in all forms of bump and steer and steer-bump) in nearly anything . . . They are however worth it.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post

You want the 315s....you can really drive like a complete loser without screwing up
New life goal.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Your picture taking skills are on point and I appreciate that.

It seems you may need some motivation, perhaps some words of encouragement and because I’m your friend and always willing to lend support...

DONT BE A PU$$Y! 275’s are for Fox bodies, stick to the plan and get some tire under that turd!

Thanks for the shove Dan, not sure if it worked yet, 275 look cool on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Awesome work. Bummer on the house man... no one needs that!

I assume there was a good reason you stuffed the battery on the driver side by the intake vs that empty spot in the other corner?
Thanks. The original plan was for the intercooler tank to go on the passenger side, but it needed to be higher up to work better, if I end up with a bigger tank it will go there. Stock battery location was on drivers side and the air intake kind of needed to go over there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Have you seen what small tire cars have been doing on course lately? Bret with the 48 Hour Camaro and Donny and Angela with Lefty Lucy (or the pizza car) have been kicking arse and taking names on 275s and 265s respectively lately. Plus this lets you run RE71s which I and many other prefer.

Sorry about the flood damage, been there done that with a faulty valve on a under counter ice maker. Not too that extent though...we were able to save the hardwood floors, just needed a refinish.
That is the tire I would run. Honestly, I liked my Dunlop Direzza Star Spec II a lot better than the Falken. Dunlops were a 275 and the Falkens a 295.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
Sean, condolences on that house disaster. That really stinks. I had a septic burp many years ago, but it only reached the shower/tub level, fortunately. The smell remains etched upon my mind, however . . .

It's amazing what you can get done when you haven't the ability to focus. In a jacked up, terrible week, you get more done than I do in a week where I only work ten hours (from my couch, no less). You are the man!

You want the 315s. Your roided-up Volvo will destroy the 275s in no time. I've been on the track a couple of times with my square 315 setup now, and I am living proof that you can really drive like a complete loser without screwing up (unless your brake bias is completely jacked--don't ask me how I know). That said, regardless of how uber-custom your setup is, 315s seem to take a whole lot of work to clear (in all forms of bump and steer and steer-bump) in nearly anything . . . They are however worth it.
The house situation really sucks. Allstate has been awesome and authorized the repairs within a day or two of the flood. However, one month and 5 days later, zero work has been done to repair the house. Frustrating to say the least.

I am motivated, thanks for noticing but it also wears me out, I go, go, go all the time, like 18 or so hours a day I am on the go.

I know the 315's will eventually find their way onto the car, for right now I need to get it rolling, running and tuned, then I can figure out the final wheel and tire combo and adjust sheetmetal to fit.

I am not the best at updating this thread but Basher keeps giving me ****....

I didnt realize how many loose ends needed to be buttoned up in the car. I spent most of the day working out details, completing wiring and plumbing and getting the heater vents installed.

I had a Van, so I had to modify the stock van pedal to work better for my application. I have also learned that accelerator pedal position is key, so I wanted it adjustable for position right to left as well as tilt and in and out. So I chopped off the factory arm and came up with this for my solution.

Multi Position pedal that I can shim up or down and some grippy stuff to keep my foot where it needs to be.

Then I built this arm that attaches through the factory pedal arm, this is all tig welded aluminum and super solid. This is painted with my normal method, three heavy coats of Wrinkle Black and baked at over 100 degrees for an hour. I do this with a cardboard box and a hair dryer....laugh but it works amazingly well.

Finished product

So with that done I kept going on the dash, got a lot done, everything is wired that I have so far. I removed all of the carpet and shampoo'd them with a pressure washer and simple green, its all I have for now for carpet unless someone has a good suggestion for new carpet I am going to make this work.

Cleaned under the floors, installed the shifter and boot and am in the process of running the final wire to the trunk for the fuel pump.

Everything gets loomed, even inside the car.

I am getting close to being able to fire this thing up.....
Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM

I was surprised how well the carpet and rear seat bottom cleaned up with some purple power and a pressure washer. Gotta figure out either a big heel plate for the drivers area or a new front carpet piece.

Managed to track down the van only accelerator pedal plug that I needed and got it wired into the harness. Note to peeps, Vans have a different plug on them =)

There is not many newer vans in wrecking yards around here. My search took me to the most sketchy wrecking yard I have ever been too. Super nice guys but sketchy. They had some super cool cars in there, stuff you dont see in wrecking yards that are on the beaten path.

Got the emergency brake cables figured out, I am using the Lokar cables for an 8.8 they will adapt easily with the adjusters and everything. Got them in, ran the fuel pump wire up and around the rear seat area.

Threw this stuff back in to see how it would look, it looks so much better just being clean. Cannot wait to get the rest of the interior in. Gotta find some brown parts and pieces though.

Still waiting for rear brakes to show up, driveline is done, just need to pick it up in Portland. Have one wire to terminate and I can check to make sure it turns over and stuff, pull program from ECU so that we can work on programming.

Sean
Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Got an adapter that I thought would work for the fronts to be able to roll it on my old F100 wheels and tires....nope.

I need a shorter spring combo. Trying to fit this much wheel and tire is going to require every bit of space I can get. Right now the spring and adjuster are below the top of the tire so the tire hits that. I cannot go any lower on the suspension settings or I get into the tire even more. It looks like I need at least an inch shorter spring.

But the wheels and tires actually look pretty good on there. This is a 275 on a 10" wheel. I could easily roll, pull and stretch the fender to clear this wheel and tire.

Its got that meaty look to it, I dig it.

Sean
Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Zero time to work on the car the past few weeks and will be very little progress in the coming weeks. I did manage to pickup my newly rebuilt driveline from my buddy Brian in Portland, hands down the best drivelines anywhere. Had him use the heavy duty STS carrier bearing in it.

Powdercoated carrier crossmember and new hardware (Need fender washers still) all new hardware for the rear flange as well. Applied new undercoating to the rest of the underbody at this point as well. Its not perfect, but its hard to spray when the car isnt on a lift.

Rear brakes showed up at the parts place Friday so I am going to try and get those installed this evening if possible, I could even potentially get the Emergency Brake cables cut to length and hooked up.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:31 AM

After getting the wrong brakes the first time, then getting the run around from Wilwood about them being out of stock.....they showed up 2 days later. Been working on getting the right rear brakes for 2 months. But they are the right brakes!!

140-9219 is the Wilwood part number to put their non drilled 12.88 Spec 37 rear brakes on an 8.8 from a 31 spline ford explorer. Note that this axle has the new style Ford big bearings (Its not even remotely similar to a mustang rearend).

Instructions are terrible but they go on good enough.

Integral Emergency Brake fitted up with Lokar Emergency Brake cable.

12.88 slotted 2 piece Spec 37 Caliper and 4 piston Forgen Narrow superlite caliper.

Rearend is just about buttoned up at this point. I have to finish up the pass side brakes and safety wire all of the 2 piece rotors but the diff is reassembled, c clips back in, diff cover sealed up and final installed.

I am digging this pic.

I have wheel spacers for the front that will get it to a roller with the wrong wheels. Still need to trim inner drivers side rear wheel well to get the rear tires on, it will have to wait till sometime next week.

Sean
Old 09-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
Old 09-05-2018, 12:10 PM

I can't wait to see this same shot with the rear tires on it!!!