Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 PM

Jay, If you are just starting out a lincoln tig 225 is an awesome machine.You will want the smaller 20p style torch not the style 17p that a miller 185 or lincoln 225 comes with.Also ask for gas defuser lense it will make welding alum. and steel easier.Also ask for a 020ft. long torch not a 12ft.Jay I am full of info even if you don't want it.Scott
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks Scott. Why the smaller torch? Whats the benefit? Whats a gas diffuser lense?

Last edited by Jay Hilliard; 01-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 AM

Jay you may also want to take a look at Thermal Arc. I have their 185 Inverter ac/dc tig and it is awesome. I use it almost everyday. I also have a miller maxstar 150 w/ the hifi start. It works great also but its dc only. Go by your local welding store and ask them if they have and demo machines they have for sale. You usually can get them for a lot less and they are barely used.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 AM

thanks Luke!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Jay,the 20p series torch is smaller and easier to handle than the 17 series torch.The gas defuser lense give the weld zone better coverage of the argon flow. And better bead apearance.You can back the argon flow rate down a little bit and save money in gas useage over a period of time. Scott
Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info Scott. I went by a welding supply today and they didnt have a Miller tig in the place. I asked whats the deal and was told, they aren't selling. Economy is killing them. No used peices either.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwelder62 View Post
Jay,the 20p series torch is smaller and easier to handle than the 17 series torch.The gas defuser lense give the weld zone better coverage of the argon flow. And better bead apearance.You can back the argon flow rate down a little bit and save money in gas useage over a period of time. Scott
Good additional info Scott -- I made the switch to the smaller (air cooled) torch --- and gas lens.... FAR SUPERIOR!

Handiest TIG stuff I've bought - ever - a tungsten sharpener. I suck - so am forever contaminating the tungsten.... :>) The sharpener makes getting them all back in shape super easy and puts a perfect point on them. As any TIG welder knows - the shape of the tungsten is important.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hilliard View Post
When did you buy the econotig? I didnt see them on Millers site, but I may have missed it. I have a friend who has an econotig for sale, but its a transformer style vs inverter. I have been told inverter technology is better with reduced power consumption, etc.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/econotig/ here is the info on it. Depending on how much you are planning on using a tig is what would determine which one to get for me. I have no complaints with the econotig so far but I do not have allot of experience with it.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Econtig bit the dust... it's not offered anymore

If you just want CHEAP TIG machine then look at the Maxstar 150

It won't weld much - but if you're only interested in doing thin gauge materials then something like this is small and compact - inverter - with pulsing but no A/C... so you stick to steel and stainless steels. The move up to an A/C D/C machine is a large jump in price - but then you can weld aluminum - and for me - that's the reason you have a TIG for hot rodding. Lots of aluminum parts in my cars - brackets etc.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00143
Old 01-15-2011, 07:03 AM

I forgot to add that like most things in life it just all depends on how you're going to use it. Not having pulsing is not the end of the world for 95% of what we do in our hobby. It certainly helps on thin material (it does help with heat control).... but lots of times I just weld without it.

Having the Diversion model will allow you to do aluminum. For me - that would be more important than having a machine with pulsing but no A/C = ala the little Maxstar. But if you don't plan to do any aluminum - and just want to do bodywork and sheetmetal etc - then the Maxstar will get er done.

The beauty of these machines - they're all worth something should you decide you don't use it at all - or you want to move up. So either way - it's a decent investment - unlike the wifes vacation that is just money down the tube.