Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2018, 01:23 PM

Have had zero time or motivation to even go into the shop in weeks with the flood.

Managed to get out there for a few hours yesterday, my motivation is that the car may need to be moved in the coming months and it needs to roll, steer and stop.

Back out of the car again, final welding on the panhard bar bracket, clean and paint.

Cleaned and painted, ready to go back in.

Pulled all the links apart and got them all welded up and shot with some VHT wrinkle black, didnt turn out that well but will be fine for suspension parts that are going to get driven on.

Ran into a small hiccup on the panhard bar, it just barely touches the diff cover so going to try and put a small like 5 degree bend in it and get it to clear. This is with the heavy duty diff cover, clears the stocker just fine.

Taped up and undercoated above the rearend so its buttoned up when things go back together. Had custom lines made up for the rear of the car a few weeks ago. One of the best things about living here in Eugene is Pacific Rubber, they build their own DOT approved braided stainless brake lines on site. Best **** I have ever run across in all of my hose vendors anywhere.

Cleaned up all the hardware and have the rearend back under the car. Gotta make some adjustments on the panhard then should be able to button up most of the stuff under the backend of the car. Can get the fuel tank installed, run lines, install pump, install shocks and other misc stuff.

Maybe a roller in a week or so if I can find some more motivation.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM

Managed to get the Panhard bar bent at a local shop that had a 1.5" die, we made it work since the degree on the bend is so small.

Stripped off the ****ty previous paint job and did it my normal way, Paint 3 heavy coats and put it in a storage tote with a hairdryer pointed in it. Perfect finish!!

Fits perfect. Have about 3/8" clearance all around the diff cover and about the same at the front of the tire.

Pretty happy with how this all turned out, its been a lot of work but should have good results. I am waiting for Brakes to show up, can run lines and finally get the fuel system mounted and finished up.

Now I can decide if I am going to puss out and just run 275's or if I am going to man up and run the 315's and flares.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 PM

Had a little bit of time to work on the car last night and a little again tonight. Got the upper shock spacers machined thanks to an awesome neighbor. Got all the washers on the hardware for the rearend and tightened everything all up.

Got the fuel tank all buttoned up and installed the weatherpack connector on the fuel pump wiring. And finally got the fuel tank installed, clips on the brake lines, built the last fuel line and tightened all the connections.

For the first time in months, feel like I am making some actual progress.

Got the helper springs installed also.

Fuel system is done with the exception of the vent line, have the parts, just need to install.

Going to keep trucking on the wiring this weekend and see if I can knock some **** out.

Anyone have any great hookups on 3 piece wheels? Likely going to do some step lip Work VSXX wheels. CCW's are a 10 week lead time =(

Sean
Old 08-20-2018, 01:26 PM

So I had to drop the tank to get the vent line hooked up, but it was pretty painless getting it out the second or third time......

Built the last remaining fuel line and have it done and tight.

So with that done I turned to doing the odds and ends, but first, I gave the garage a little clean up.

Started by sorting through the wiring on the drivers side, figuring out what was what, what needed to go to the passenger side since I am doing about 50% or a wire tuck.

I ended up pulling the wiring for the windshield washer squirters and level sensor back into the cab, I dont expect to be using them but wanted to keep in case they are ever needed so they are labeled and tied up under the dash.

Headlights, turn signals, side marker lights, and both of the electric fan wires run up the passenger inner fender well, everything got grommets and the same braided wire sleeving and p clipped to the inside of the fender bolts. It was a total pain the ass.

I had to come up with a solution for the messed up wiring for the lights and the ****ty factory volvo connectors. So I eliminated the connector, replaced all of the wiring and installed weatherpack connectors.

I also ditched the factory horns in favor of a donor horn from the van, it sounds awesome, its the rest of the wiring here, the horn got a tidy little bracket and mounts right behind the grille, factory plug on it too.

With the passenger side wrapped up for the most part, it was onto the drivers side, I got everything run out the factory rubber and laid it all out figuring out where my take outs needed to be and tidied it up as much as I possibly could. This is a time consuming process for me as I want it to be just right. All of the factory connectors came apart so glue style heat shrink could be installed. I think the finish product comes out well.

Here is what I ended up with on the drivers side, I believe I have one last wire to run, hot from battery to the distribution panel. Bracket was powdercoated, plastic got SEM Trim black out of a hot can to keep the spray pattern super fine and gives it a slight texture.

This is just about 100% wired and plumbed at this point. The only thing remaining is the power lead to the distibution panel and some braided sleeving on the starter signal wire.

I have a few loose ends to tie up on the interior, might need some pointers on a few connectors I dont recall where they go.

I need to run one wire back to the trunk for the fuel pump but I think that is about it for big wiring.

If I had wheels this bitch could hit the road in a few weeks.

Sean
The Following User Says Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
gofastwclass (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 02:16 PM

That is really looking good!
Old 08-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Damn clean work....you can spot attention to detail right away....

T,
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 PM

sorry to hear about the water damage.

Love the details on the car.

My 68 Torino
Old 08-20-2018, 06:23 PM

Your picture taking skills are on point and I appreciate that.

It seems you may need some motivation, perhaps some words of encouragement and because I’m your friend and always willing to lend support...

DONT BE A PU$$Y! 275’s are for Fox bodies, stick to the plan and get some tire under that turd!

The Following User Says Thank You to DBasher For This Useful Post:
Brazan (08-22-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:58 PM

Awesome work. Bummer on the house man... no one needs that!

I assume there was a good reason you stuffed the battery on the driver side by the intake vs that empty spot in the other corner?
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 PM

Have you seen what small tire cars have been doing on course lately? Bret with the 48 Hour Camaro and Donny and Angela with Lefty Lucy (or the pizza car) have been kicking arse and taking names on 275s and 265s respectively lately. Plus this lets you run RE71s which I and many other prefer.

Sorry about the flood damage, been there done that with a faulty valve on a under counter ice maker. Not too that extent though...we were able to save the hardwood floors, just needed a refinish.