Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Default Healthy Living 101

There has been some talk of this thread so I thought I'd fire it up. The financial thread has proved to be a very good source for information and different perspective. In my mind, life all starts with health. With great health, happiness, success, and wealth will be much easier to achieve.

Around 30 days ago I decided to change my life. I've weight trained for 17 years but I've never had the diet and lifestyle to match. Now at 35 years old, my bad habits of my twenties were catching up to me. Drinking to much, not eating terribly but way to much and far from a well rounded diet. I'd sleep 8 hours everynight and NEVER feel well rested. I have a messed up nose from a break in a car accident and some allergies that make sleeping a task. Needless to say, it compounded into no energy and a real lack of motivation.

I picked up two books to read. The Compound Effect and Live Young Forever. The Compound Effect is an excellent life book that takes simple ideas and changes to your lifestyle for a more positive direction. I highly recommend it to everyone and I'll go deeper into it as the thread progresses. In fact, I've already passed them out to 4 friends and I'm ordering more. The Jack Lallane book, Live Young Forever, has some similar messages but really focuses on excercise and diet.

One of my first goals was to start shedding weight. I've achieved that two ways. I'm now running 7-10 miles a week and weights on the odd days. Whether it's weights of running, I'm done in 30-40 minutes. It's all high intensity. I ran a mile in 7:45 last week which is faster than I did in high school. With the diet, I'm writing down EVERYTHING I eat EVERYDAY. I research the calories and content. It's a very very heavy vegetable/fruit/nuts and good proteins diet.(Fish/Chicken) Writing down everything does two things: 1. It makes you responsible for your calorie intake. 2. It educates you on calorie and nutrition. You need to establish the right amount of calories for you based on your size, age, and activity level.

I 'm down over 8 lbs and adding muscle at the same time. On top of that, I've been waking up NATURALLY at 5-6 in the morning. I've been feeling better than I have in a long long time. I'm focused and sharper. I'm dedicated to making these changes my new GOOD habits and erasing the BAD habits of my past.

What are you doing to stay healthy? What tips can you share?

Watch this video on the home page of Jack's website and tell me he didn't hit the nail on the head 50-60 years ago.
http://www.jacklalanne.com/

Last edited by Vegas69; 07-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vegas69 For This Useful Post:
GEARBOXGARAGE (05-04-2019)
Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 PM

Could be the 2nd best thread behind investing 102. I've been running/lifting consistently for the past 8 years and it makes me feel great. Get all my work done early in the morning. Run about 25-30 miles a week and lift 2-3 days a week. I'm 46 and in the best shape of my life and training for my first marathon. I'm not really on a diet per se but I pay attention to what I eat. The more miles you put on the more weight will come off of course. It does afford you to eat more, because you need fuel. My diet is my weakness. I'm just not into fruits and veggies that much other than potatoes and corn. Just don't get to obsessed or you will burn out. Sounds like you are on your way and you seem to be very driven, so you will be fine.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 PM

I've always been a lazy bum that didn't eat right!! Well maybe not "always", because being a roofer for 15 years pretty much kept me in shape!! But the last 7-8 years I've been office/estimating and management bound. Which in all honesty sucks for my body! I've had nothing but back pain since and although I'm still skinny, I've turned into a flabby no muscle stick, in comparison to a ZERO fat and very solid stick!! LOL!

Well, it finally got me and my wife found this on the web and we have started doing this mini "workout" two weeks ago and we've only took off one day of the week to rest. I know that it is just a "warmup" for people that REALLY workout, but for us softies, it is pretty crazy! Have the phone nearby the first time so you can call 911!!! LOL!
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/shaun...minute-workout

Maybe someday I'll start eating right...I'm still on the North-beach diet, lots of carbs and sweets!!! Nothing but fat people!! LOL. South-beach is low carbs and skinny people I guess!!
www.fquick.com/shmoov69
Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 PM

You can work out all you want but getting in great shape is largely DIET. I was 23, 175 lbs, benching 345 but still didn't have a six pack. I cut down by diminishing my calorie intake way to low and ate like crap when I wasn't cutting. Fruits and Veggies are great for you and don't have that many calories. I'm losing it slowly eating the right foods, that's the way to sustain.

You must choose a work out plan that you can stick with. I was a gym rat for 1 to 1.5 hours for years. I spent way to much time between sets. Now I go hard for .5 and I can stick with that for life and be in BETTER shape. If your gym is to far from your house, no good. If you work out 6-7 days a week, to much. If you are just starting and working out 2 hours a day, you will never make it. Walk before you run. Don't expect results overnight, it takes time. How long did it take you to pack on the lbs?

Last edited by Vegas69; 07-07-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi875 View Post
Could be the 2nd best thread behind investing 102. I've been running/lifting consistently for the past 8 years and it makes me feel great. Get all my work done early in the morning. Run about 25-30 miles a week and lift 2-3 days a week. I'm 46 and in the best shape of my life and training for my first marathon. I'm not really on a diet per se but I pay attention to what I eat. The more miles you put on the more weight will come off of course. It does afford you to eat more, because you need fuel. My diet is my weakness. I'm just not into fruits and veggies that much other than potatoes and corn. Just don't get to obsessed or you will burn out. Sounds like you are on your way and you seem to be very driven, so you will be fine.
Wow, my body is no where near ready for those distances. I ran into a lady last week that runs 50 mile trails. My foot starts going numb at the 3 mile mark. I'm not sure I'll ever get to that level. I'm just not a natural runner but I really enjoy it. I'd like to run a half marathon eventually at a respectable time. Dropping the weight certainly won't hurt. Changing your diet will take you to the next level.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:02 AM

I just got back from a mountain bike ride, first in 2 years, oh my legs are tired. I haven't done much over the last 5 years. Some due to injury, but mostly due to lack of enthusiasm, I tore my hamstring completely of the bone 2 years ago and had to have it reattached. before I got slack I took up Ironman triathlon at the age of 42 and did 3 off them. now at the age of 51 I need to lose 40 pounds and get fit, myself and my wife started 2 weeks ago, I bought a Cross trainer and a home gym. It's all going great, we have both lost weight and are sticking to our nutrition changes,

Greg
Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 AM

From my late 20's I partied hard into my 30's, and at 37 I quit my addictions all on my own, cold turkey and been 100% sober ever since (I'm now 51 but still smoke cigs). I starting gaining weight and In 2001, I weighed 217# I'm 5'7". I decided to change my "eating habits". I did research on the net and started working out with weights, Mtn & street biking, walking and swimming. I lifted weights 3-4 days a week alt upper and lower work outs and I rode 10-15 miles street or dirt. I would also walk every night carrying those little 3lbs weights. All this time I still smoked cigs . I'm also a beach bum, so I loved to walk in the sand & swim in the ocean, which really works you good.

I also parked my car and walked or biked everywhere I could and when I did drive... I would park as far as I could from somewhere. so it forced me to get in a little exercise no matter what. I also would ride or walk in areas that made it fun so it made me want to do it and didn't feel like work..

My "eating healthy" ( I don't believe in the word "DIET") IMOHO 90% of "diets" fail.. So I replaced that word with "Eating healthy" ..because losing weight and being fit and staying that way is as much a mental thing as it is physical. I also would only get on a scale once or only twice a month, so I would see bigger weight loss which would motivate me more. I also learned that getting fit and seeing more muscles is an addiction and a good one at that !! My eating consisted of course.. watching calories and carbs. Believe it or not I started with slim fast for breakfast then a 30 min walk , and lunch would be a slim fast, fruit and a granola bar.

Dinners were chicken and vegetables or a baked pork chop. and never ate after 7pm. I ate a lot of salads too with a little low cal dressing. I would also still eat what I craved once in a while, but in very light moderation, this way I could control my cravings.. I lost 50-60# in around 9-10 months and got to my goal of around 165#. I kept it off for 4 years and I felt better then I ever did. Todd's right..when you feel good about yourself life is a breeze!

The negative side to this Is.. at the end of 07 I started gaining the weight back and fell into my old eating habits (I'm at 230 # now).. I do have some bad physical issues now but I am going to follow this thread and hope it gets me back on track,,

THANKS for posting this thread Todd !! Can it be made a STICKY?

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.

Last edited by intocarss; 07-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 AM

Great thread topic Todd, thanks for starting it. I'll definitely check out those books. One book I'm reading right now and would like to suggest to everyone is called "The End of Illness" by David Agus, MD. He's a high level cancer researcher and talks a lot about cancer and preventing it, but also why supplements like vitamins have never been proven to help anything and why you must get those things from food. He also talks about the benefits of exercise and backs up all his points with solid research facts. He also outlines a plan for you to go to your doctor with and what questions to ask him and what tests to get done. If you want to know what health and medicine will look like in the future, this might be it.

I'm 44, work out regularly, play ice hockey, golf, tennis and feel as good as I ever did. I've been going through a ridiculous divorce and whenever I'm done at the gym I feel better mentally and emotionally then I do at any other time. It doesn't only work on your muscles.

Don't take your health for granted if you have it, you have to work to keep it. I lost my mom to cancer when she was 52 and I was only 16 and now my Dad is battling 2 kinds of it at 80. Exercise and diet are the best preventatives there are, I encourage everyone to get on a program and stay on it.

Subscribed!

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 AM

This thread is already going the direction I had hoped. We are all wired different and what works for you, may not work for the next guy. One thing I will say works for EVERYBODY. The better you eat, the longer you consistently excercise, the stronger you will be MENTALLY.

Erik mentions going through a bad divorce. Negativity through your enviroment and influences knocks the wind out of you. I like to compare it to the old nintendo boxing game. Every punch saps the power meeter. When you fight through a tough workout, those last few reps, that last mile, it becomes more natural to keep your head up and have a GREAT attitude, Regardless of circumstances.

That takes me into the next topic. Living healthy isn't just diet and excercise. It's also the company you keep. One of my favorite topics in the Compound Effect is the fact that you are greatly influenced by the FIVE people you spend the most time with. To take it one step further. You are the average of those 5 people. Meaning, happiness, wealth, success, attitude, etc. Who in your life is dragging you down with negativity? What new relationships/friends do you need to increase your POSITIVE influences? It's not just personal either. You can run a better business and surround yourself with the right clients. You just need to cement there expectations and your boundaries up front. For instance, I'm a real estate agent and I've worked one Saturday in 3 months. I take every Sunday off. I work 9-5:30 M-F. When I meet my clients, I outline our relationship in a contract. I want every client to have the same expectations for me and my team. Part of that is having a team member available on Saturdays. My point is, when you set standards for yourself, it's amazing how people will follow suit and respect your values. If they don't, it's the wrong client and relationship for your business and life.

Last edited by Vegas69; 07-08-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:11 AM

Great thread Todd!! I was bike riding 20 miles every other day and doing push ups and sit ups for the days in between. I always watch what I eat but sometimes cheat and eat too many sweets. I am now in a slump and haven't been working out for over a month and am having a hard time breaking out.
Now that you have started this thread you have given me motivation to get started again. Thanks