Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM

I think I'm going to do some homework on my options and try to compare cost/benefits.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors
Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 PM

I am interested in using this on my 71 Ford F250. The 390 is going to be rebuilt next month. It will have about 370hp with 460ft lbs. My problem is that the truck has duel fuel tanks and there is no way I know of to due a fuel return. Can anybody answer this for me?

Blessings,
AMS
Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R67Chevelle View Post
I am interested in using this on my 71 Ford F250. The 390 is going to be rebuilt next month. It will have about 370hp with 460ft lbs. My problem is that the truck has duel fuel tanks and there is no way I know of to due a fuel return. Can anybody answer this for me?

Blessings,
AMS
Well, the system doesn't HAVE to return to the tank it's drawing from, but it can't return to a full tank.

Maybe a valve to move the return when you move the feed. Just don't forget.

Or cross the two tanks together if they are close enough to prevent one from becoming "over full".

In any event I don't see it as being a difficult problem to solve.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 PM

I guess my biggest question is how the stock fuel system is modified to work with this system and if you need to run a return line to the tank.

"FAST™ engineers set out to develop the ultimate fueling strategy for the EZEFI ™. The EZ-EFI™ features patent pending technology with the most advanced self tuning control strategy available anywhere today. Simply hook up the four necessary wires and any optional wires, answer the basic setup Wizard questions on the included hand-held display and the system tunes itself as you drive. Countless research and development hours were spent on a number of prototype test vehicles to develop a high-quality system truly worthy of the FAST™ brand.

Capable of supporting up to 550 horsepower engines, the FAST™ EZ-EFI™ Self Tuning Fuel Injection System can be purchased as a complete system, including the ECU, wide-band oxygen sensor, wiring harness, fuel injectors, optional fuel pump kit and other assorted components, including the innovative 4150 Throttle Body from FAST™.

The FAST™ 4150 Throttle Body delivers the total package approach for anyone with an existing 4150-type intake manifold. Everything comes with the kit, including appropriate fuel injectors and fuel rails. In addition, it works with the original carb-style throttle linkage & is ready to accept all OEM sensors.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:25 PM

You need a different bypass regulator, fuel pump, for starters.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g356gear View Post
I guess my biggest question is how the stock fuel system is modified to work with this system and if you need to run a return line to the tank.

"FAST™ engineers set out to develop the ultimate fueling strategy for the EZEFI ™. The EZ-EFI™ features patent pending technology with the most advanced self tuning control strategy available anywhere today. Simply hook up the four necessary wires and any optional wires, answer the basic setup Wizard questions on the included hand-held display and the system tunes itself as you drive. Countless research and development hours were spent on a number of prototype test vehicles to develop a high-quality system truly worthy of the FAST™ brand.

Capable of supporting up to 550 horsepower engines, the FAST™ EZ-EFI™ Self Tuning Fuel Injection System can be purchased as a complete system, including the ECU, wide-band oxygen sensor, wiring harness, fuel injectors, optional fuel pump kit and other assorted components, including the innovative 4150 Throttle Body from FAST™.

The FAST™ 4150 Throttle Body delivers the total package approach for anyone with an existing 4150-type intake manifold. Everything comes with the kit, including appropriate fuel injectors and fuel rails. In addition, it works with the original carb-style throttle linkage & is ready to accept all OEM sensors.
you will need a return line to the tank. I deally you need baffling added to the tank, or run a separate surge tank or custom efi tank to control fuel slosh picking up air in the system. But technically the stock tank will work with an outlet and a return line, but you'll want to keep the tank close to full level-wise so it doesn't suck air which is an immediate studder or engine shut off with efi.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I'd do the DUAL fuel tanks with a crossover line (or two - One top and one bottom) like my boat fuel tanks are done. Be sure to add shut off valves! With crossover lines open - both tanks will seek their level so always having fuel in the one you'd be drawing from.

Barring that "fix" -- you could use a "Y" feed from both tanks - and a return "Y" to both tanks.... but I think I'd prefer a single feed and single return with the X over for simplicity.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 AM

Posting here to try and keep this thread going. I am very interested in this system but my HP is slightly above the range listed by them. I saw somewhere in this thread that the HP could possibly go up, then again Penny posted that it will be limited because of the fact it has fewer injectors which obviously makes since. Just hoping FAST will be able to squeeze a little more out of it and then see somebody try it before me. Any guinea pigs out their
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69496 View Post
Posting here to try and keep this thread going. I am very interested in this system but my HP is slightly above the range listed by them. I saw somewhere in this thread that the HP could possibly go up, then again Penny posted that it will be limited because of the fact it has fewer injectors which obviously makes since. Just hoping FAST will be able to squeeze a little more out of it and then see somebody try it before me. Any guinea pigs out their
It's just a matter of math.. when you only have four injectors to work with you can only support so much power, even with massive injector sizes.

I think FAST just told me it can go to 650 hp.. I will confirm.

We are dyno testing it on Tuesday.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 08-29-2009, 04:00 PM

edit....

Last edited by R67Chevelle; 08-29-2009 at 09:50 PM.