Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 03-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
So there's really TWO installs in this thread.... one guy had all manor of electrical issues... and my guess is those issues were there well before the EFI system was installed. Low voltage at idle - inadequate charge at idle with various load items. Imagine now that he always had that issue.... but now installs an electric fuel pump (a new load) and an ECU - etc... once he provided ADEQUATE grounds -- and low rpm voltage - his problems were cured. He did discover a bad MAP sensor --- and that is something that shouldn't happen but it did.

The other guy that can't seem to get his running at all -- really doesn't provide us any details what he's done as far as installation -- or what checks he's done or what issues he's having or any pics of his car etc -- SO we're left guessing how or what he's working with.... and I can tell you for certain - that many peoples electrical skills and circuit knowledge are less than "stellar".

I'm aware of some delays in the 2.0 system inventory... too many sales? Or a manufacturing issue - or parts supplier... hard to know that.

The one install worked thru his systems issues -- which weren't his systems issues at all - but rather a weak electrical system and possibly some real poor ground issues. Once those were resolved he seemed very happy with his system.

That's what I'm usually trying to point out. These are DIY installs -- we have little knowledge of the skills of the installer - his electrical knowledge -- what all the parts of the "hot rod" are that he's working on etc. But in all the work I've done on these (and XFI) systems -- I've never once found the system itself to be at fault. When they're installed properly with a good working healthy electrical system... they do, in fact, work really well. That's not to say every part a manufacturer is going to ship is going to be 100% perfect because we've all gotten defective stuff. I know I certainly have.

I just bought a factory crate LS3 480 hp GM motor and a factory ECU.... the electrical on this car is far superior to most cars on the road... but it's going to the tuner because it constantly stalls and has too low of idle RPM's. All factory stuff -- and then talking to people that install these regularly = they tell me - oh yeah - they all need work because they won't run right out of the box. Okay... to the tuner it goes on Monday. I'm confident it's a very simple adjustment of either the IAC or the fuel mapping or idle rpm settings... To me it's no different than when I'd pull a carb out of a box --- and then spend a lot of time getting the fueling right... jets - pumps - accelerator pumps... idle bleeds... it was easy though because we've been doing it for years. EFI is new to most and there's a lot of knowledge "missing" or people that are right around the block that can come over to help.

Three installs Greg.
Don't get me wrong, these systems are not up to what the factory units provide. It just depends on what you are trying to get done and how you want to do it.
I did not want to see a modern looking engine in our '66 Chevelle SS convertible. I did however want to take a couple hundred pounds out of the car, get the car's weight distribution better, and have fuel injection while keeping a retro look. I would not have taken the big block out if I had to look at a factory plastic LS intake. This system allowed us to install the original 14" air cleaner and keep an original appearance.
The FAST 2.0 system has worked very well for us so far. Only issue we have had was a timing problem due to the LS platform. With this being the first running LS powered car I knew we might have a few hurdles to jump. This was quickly resolved and we have racked up over 3,000 miles since with zero problems.
Bonus with a system like this too is you can take it out of one car and put it on a completely different set up. if I ever want to switch the LS over to factory EFI or put on a blower, the FAST system could easily be moved to my big block Camaro.

Special Thanks to:
D&Z Customs, Roadster Shop, Weld Racing Wheels, Wilwood, BF Goodrich, Dynatech, and C&R Radiators
Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

When done right - these systems can work pretty dang well.

I agree with you Chris... I'm not a fan of the plastic LS stuff.... yet I put one in Gwen's new '33... because it fits in there - and is light weight - and is reliable. I learned long ago that sometimes 100% "everything perfect" sometimes doesn't work - and a guy has to go with what will work/fit/afford/looks right etc.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 PM

Default 2.0

I have posted on the other forums (some of you may have seen my post along with my you tube video of the 2.0). I do feel the system is very temperamental or effected by noises, but once I got all the "knowns fixed or addressed it seems to be performing well. I have ran it with nitrous several times and it performed great. I recently went to the track, and had some issues I need to try and work out. Issue being while on the trans brake then launched the car fell on its face, and would pick back up. I could not really tell if it was getting to rich or leaning, because I could not watch the AF gauge. Next day went on a side road an from a dead stop went WOT, at the same time it started to fall on its face I noticed it was leaning out. Now I can add more accel fuel which should fix that issue. Now at 45mph going WOT with nitrous,,,its perfect and responds great.

Also here is a site that you can also go to and see some common and not so common issues. Just do your research and know what your getting and what to expect.
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/fast-...t-support.html
Old 03-29-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obengston View Post
Also here is a site that you can also go to and see some common and not so common issues. Just do your research and know what your getting and what to expect.
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/fast-...t-support.html
Wow! There's a lot of folks over there struggling with EFI. It really does show that there's more to it than "bolt this on. answer these questions, drive". I read several of those threads about the noise filters and faulty units but also fuel delivery problems, distributor problems, ground problems... like you said, "know what you are getting".

I'm not worried, I'm sending mine to Sun Valley to get installed...

Jeff-
Old 03-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
Wow! There's a lot of folks over there struggling with EFI. It really does show that there's more to it than "bolt this on. answer these questions, drive". I read several of those threads about the noise filters and faulty units but also fuel delivery problems, distributor problems, ground problems... like you said, "know what you are getting".

I'm not worried, I'm sending mine to Sun Valley to get installed...

Jeff-

Installation is EVERYTHING.... and most "first timers" just don't get it right. There are a lot of "don't do's".... It's the don't do's that kill people.

The new SV shed should be ready for operation in about 3 months.... then "bring it on". Bring your mountain bike - and your dogs... A guy can't just work on cars without a break!

LOL

There's some "inside" knowledge about the EZ 2.0 that I'm not free to share. But I wouldn't buy that unit right now. And if you do - make absolutely certain it's not installed in the engine bay. And not anywhere near the MSD (or similar) ignition box.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
- And not anywhere near the MSD (or similar) ignition box.
But it has to have an MSD to function. I would have mistakenly wanted to group all the electronics together and make it tidy.... then pulled my hair out (If I had any) trying to figure out what was wrong. I see how some of these guys get in over their heads. A lot of very simple/innocent mistakes could be made and the system never perform...

If and when I decide to FI my BBC, I'm making darn sure I've got my "injection for dummies" handy... and GW on speed dial.

Jeff-
Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 PM

Have had a Fast XFI 2 system fitted to my Mustang for 6 months it has been great . Engine is a 433 Cu in FE high compression running a F&B Throttle bodies Tripower manifold . Car fired up first turn of the key no issues must admit though FAST install instructions could be better especially being so far away and with different time zones makes it difficult to communicate . I agree that the most important thing is ensuring to get the wiring done properly good power and earth connections.
Attached Images

Last edited by 390 S code; 04-02-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Default 2.0

I see some say "do not mount inside the engine compartment", mine is mounted inside the right fender well in front of the firewall, down inside the small hole that kinda goes behind your kick panel area. Further away from the engine than if mounted behind the firewall. If not mounting inside the firewall area is due to electrical noise.. Well under my dash area I have more electronic interference things, like Dakota Digital Dash, Power windows, door locks, alarm system, radio, more gauges, push button start box, A/C, power antenna, remote exhaust cutout box, multiple nitrous controls. MSD I mounted behind the driver kick panel (so its on the opposite side from the 2.0 computer), and I'm sure I'm missing a few. So my point is that its not really any better by mounting it inside if you have this going on, or at least I don't think it is. Where I have it mounted is about as far and isolated from anything else (but the unit itself), and its out of site. My engine bay is very clean, the only wires that goes from the unit to the engine is basically the wires to the TB.

I still wish FAST would have done something better to help protect this unit from electrical interference. Even though I have it running pretty good, if something happens its harder to track down. Just like the issue with launching and it going lean, I can only start guessing where to start.

As far as the XFI, someone mentioned having.. Different than the 2.0 as far as some of the issues people are having.

Again I just think it could have been protected better, but I'm happy with what I have (because its mine now). I have at least 1500-2000 miles on te unit, but everytime I drive it i'm constantly wondering if I'm going to start getting the notorious "Comm Error" from it and it shut down on me. So far I have not seen that from it since the second week of driving it, and fixing or re doing things that I thought may be the cause.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obengston View Post
I see some say "do not mount inside the engine compartment", mine is mounted inside the right fender well in front of the firewall, down inside the small hole that kinda goes behind your kick panel area. Further away from the engine than if mounted behind the firewall. If not mounting inside the firewall area is due to electrical noise.. Well under my dash area I have more electronic interference things, like Dakota Digital Dash, Power windows, door locks, alarm system, radio, more gauges, push button start box, A/C, power antenna, remote exhaust cutout box, multiple nitrous controls. MSD I mounted behind the driver kick panel (so its on the opposite side from the 2.0 computer), and I'm sure I'm missing a few. So my point is that its not really any better by mounting it inside if you have this going on, or at least I don't think it is. Where I have it mounted is about as far and isolated from anything else (but the unit itself), and its out of site. My engine bay is very clean, the only wires that goes from the unit to the engine is basically the wires to the TB.

I still wish FAST would have done something better to help protect this unit from electrical interference. Even though I have it running pretty good, if something happens its harder to track down. Just like the issue with launching and it going lean, I can only start guessing where to start.

As far as the XFI, someone mentioned having.. Different than the 2.0 as far as some of the issues people are having.

Again I just think it could have been protected better, but I'm happy with what I have (because its mine now). I have at least 1500-2000 miles on te unit, but everytime I drive it i'm constantly wondering if I'm going to start getting the notorious "Comm Error" from it and it shut down on me. So far I have not seen that from it since the second week of driving it, and fixing or re doing things that I thought may be the cause.

My guess is that is in the works. There's just too much electrical stuff going on in a modern build to have an RFI issue.

The EZ EFI 1.0 does not have that issue... we are just referring to the 2.0 version since that is the topic here.