Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-04-2018, 03:51 PM

Are you running 600# springs front and rear? Some sections the car seemed to be "bouncing" or skipping over bumps. Just wondering.

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:38 PM

I now have 700s up front and 600s out back.

I think it's just that kind of track, there are some areas of the surface with "character". Plus, I don't feel like "bouncy" is actually bad in respect to handling. As long as the car is balanced in the corners and puts the power down on corner exit without drama...it's all good.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
rixtrix1 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 04:45 PM

Sometimes when you make an upgrade to a car, you make other weaknesses appear and become prevalent. Such was the case after we added the ATS spindles and new brakes to Barney. The increased Ackerman and better camber gain created a bunch more front grip which made the front of the car roll way more in turns. This increased roll released the inside rear tire more than before causing both a loose in condition because the brakes would lock up and slide the inside rear tire as well as a free post apex condition. This became ever so apparent when we reviewed the pictures from the Good Guys event last March.

The grip was great and the car was fast...but if we could tame the roll down and get the inside rear tire back into the track again, it will be even better. So a plan for a new front sway bar was put into place. Since I already had a few steps stiffer than the stiffest bolt in sway bar available for a G-Body, we decided to step up to a weld in tube style mount for a 3 piece splined end front bar. This will give us a ton of more options for front bar specs...

Now that the parts are here, I can take things apart and see just how and where it is all going to fit. I know the UMI front triangulation brace will either need to be cut up or replaced with something custom made as well as it is directly in the way of where this tube needs to go. I love that part...it is awesome!! I kind of hate to cut it up but that may be the best option rather than just starting from scratch.

The tube, bar, and swing arms will all hang under the frame and I'll weld double shear tabs on the front of my control arms for the end links to bolt to. It looks like these swing arms will end up 4-5 inches shorter than the ones on the the current MuscleBar which means the bar will need to be about directly under the pitman and idler arms instead of up in front of them where the current bar rides. The shorter arms help with way less leverage on the bar which means a stiffer overall rate (less roll).

I have new tires being mounted up Tuesday and have a local SCCA Autocross Next Sunday the 16th, so I'll probably wait until after the 16th to start taking things apart. The goal is to have the new bar in place and tuning done at an SCCA event before the Good Guys Fall show the 2nd weekend in November. Wish me luck!!!
Old 09-08-2018, 08:57 PM

Wow Lance, looks like things have gotten serious.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Added my Solostorm data overlay to my fast lap from Saturday's session.

And here was Sunday's lap running counter clockwise.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 PM

Cool Vids, Lance! Perhaps you can cut and tie the frame brace into the sway bar tube. Bringing my helmet on the 16th!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!

Last edited by rixtrix1; 09-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:15 AM

Raced with AZSOLO SCCA yesterday. Put brand new tires on a couple days before so it took a run or two to get the mold release off them...then it stuck pretty darn good. Didn't hear any fender\tire contact anywhere even with a 270# passenger in the right seat on my last and fastest run so the work with the Fender roller might have been enough to fix the issue at autocross speeds.

Here was the fastest run of the day.

Got about a month before the next local SCCA race and have the opportunities to do some road course stuff soon as well...but thinking about pulling the shocks to do some work on them and working on the sway bar install instead. Would love to have the sway bar installed and tested BEFORE Good Guys in early November.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
jarhead (09-18-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM

Sometimes you have to go back a few steps before you can move forward...

The shocks needed to go back to Ridetech for some updates and I had to pull the fronts anyway so I could cycle the suspension to check for bind on the new sway bar end links, so I decided now was a good time to kill two birds at once. Also pulled the MuscleBar and UMI Triangulation brace to get it out of the way for now.

Here is a good shot showing the difference between the MuscleBar and the new MMF front bar that will replace it. The main glaring difference is the swing arms that are about 4-5" shorter on the new bar. This greatly reduces the lever pulling on the bar which helps increase the overall roll stiffness.

At the moment my welder can't reach my car so zip ties are holding everything in place. It's close to where it needs to be but will get tweaked once I can hold things exactly in place better. This is at pretty close to ride height.

And bad news for those lusting for leftover parts...it appears the UMI Triangulation brace will still work which I'm VERY happy about.

I need to pick up some hardware, get some smaller welding wire and some electrical material to make an extension cord.....then I'll be ready to start tacking things in place. Pretty sure the sway bar stands will land right on the frame under where the factory sway bar bushings mounted. The frame is large and beefy there and welding it up shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Plan is to start with the swing arms pointed down to the control arms about an inch at ride height with the endlinks straight up and down then cycle everything to check for interference or bind.

I have to add as well...I'm very much enjoying having a put together shop once again to work in. I'm getting more and more used to working on the drive on lift...it hasn't fought me at all on this project yet and in fact has made some things just a bit easier than it would be on a two post lift.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:05 PM

Nice update, sorry Barney is down.

I always enjoy the technical posts.

My 68 Torino
Old 09-23-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Nice update, sorry Barney is down.

I always enjoy the technical posts.
Thanks Joe...

Hopefully it won't be down too long, things look like they'll be a lot easier to get into place than I was initially afraid of.