Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-03-2017, 05:45 AM

Default 1969 camaro suspension choice

Hello I hate to ask this question but I have been doing research and don't really know my answer yet. I have a 1969 Camaro, just the body, freshly painted with a stock freshly painted subframe. I will be putting a ls3 blown in the car with a 6spd. It will be used for weekend driving, no autocross or racing events but I like to drive hard and have a well handling car. I was looking at Speedtech stuff, roadster shop stuff, DSE and ridetech. I am leaning towards the roadster shop spec chassis because of the price. I can get the chassis for around $13,000 with the options I want and the rear end already on the chassis. I also like the fact that it is full frame so it can support the horsepower I will be putting in the car. The speedtech stuff looks great but after doing it all will probly be in the 20k range. The ridetech stuff is nice but with the options and rear end, it'll be almost at where the roadster shop chassis is and Id rather just buy that. DSE, that's also in the high teen to 20 range with all options. This is not a show car so I really don't care what it looks like under the car, they will all look good once done. I just want the car to handle the horsepower and handle good. Any suggestions from your experience would be very greatly appreciated. Also the car will be mini tubed. Thank You
Old 12-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy03 View Post
Hello I hate to ask this question but I have been doing research and don't really know my answer yet. I have a 1969 Camaro, just the body, freshly painted with a stock freshly painted subframe. I will be putting a ls3 blown in the car with a 6spd. It will be used for weekend driving, no autocross or racing events but I like to drive hard and have a well handling car. I was looking at Speedtech stuff, roadster shop stuff, DSE and ridetech. I am leaning towards the roadster shop spec chassis because of the price. I can get the chassis for around $13,000 with the options I want and the rear end already on the chassis. I also like the fact that it is full frame so it can support the horsepower I will be putting in the car. The speedtech stuff looks great but after doing it all will probly be in the 20k range. The ridetech stuff is nice but with the options and rear end, it'll be almost at where the roadster shop chassis is and Id rather just buy that. DSE, that's also in the high teen to 20 range with all options. This is not a show car so I really don't care what it looks like under the car, they will all look good once done. I just want the car to handle the horsepower and handle good. Any suggestions from your experience would be very greatly appreciated. Also the car will be mini tubed. Thank You
If you're going to run a Blown LS3, you'd be smart to run Speedtech, DSE or Art Morrison. Not to sound rude, but if you're going to run that type of engine setup for a weekend driver...you're wanting a full on Donkey Kong kinda build. Big power, big brakes, lot of suspension for handling.

You have to be honest with yourself about what you REALLY want. Don't let feelings of guilt for whatever reason get in the way of that. Once you have that answer, then you can put together a build list. Go crazy and add every Gucci item you can find to it...and add the cost of that item in another column and total it up with your list is complete. If you have the cash to throw at it...do it and never look back. If you don't, then look at a way to get their. What can you add now and what can you add to that later.

In this type of situation, I really like Speedtech. You could add a set of their ATS spindles, some upper control arms, nice shocks and upgrade the steering box on your current front sub. (Hey you said it's nice, so use it) Out back go with the Torque Arm setup. Add a nice brake package and you've got a sweet ride. If you feel the need, you can always upgrade one of their front subs later.

My point....whatever money you spend...be smart with it. Don't buy RS because you think they have the best price. Buy it because they have the best product for your application/over all goal.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Our Torque is 100% Bolt-In

Old 12-05-2017, 09:23 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I mentioned roadster shop because of the quality and price. I really don't know what I would be happy with. I have heard great things about the ride tech stuff and great things about the speed tech stuff, I just don't if the differences are that much to spend the money, that is why Im asking and putting my feelers out. I will be doing some wilwood or Baer brakes front and rear. The ls3 blown is not really a huge build for me, I just like power and I can do that myself for fairly cheap. I don't care what everything looks like under the car, its not a show car, just want a well handling, well put together car. Ive always told myself to ask people that have done it, to get their opinions. Also I want to do it the right way first. I want proven parts not something that will make me the test dummy, I also don't want to have to modify 10 things to make one thing work, if that makes sense. Thank You again
Old 12-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Not sure how you are thinking that the Speedtech package would be 20K?

Depending on which subframe:
Protouring Trach time package with all new 9"is 10,099 Reuse your spindles or upgrade to AFX 1200.00
Extreme is 7199.00 comes with spindle and all the other upgrades
Torque arm 2299.00
complete rear end with third member 3199.00

There are ad on's as well:
Headers (won't matter who's you buy)
1199 or 1399 depending on which sub
shaft kit 200
body mounts 149.00

So for the best sub on the market with full rear suspension you are 14450.00
for the Protouring you are 11,700.00
Old 12-13-2017, 11:42 PM

So I was looking at the extreme sub with the 9inch and torque are setup for the rear. It came out to 14k I added all the other stuff as in headers, wheel tubs, steering shaft and misc items that I will need to run the setup. Im not knocking Speedtech in any way, I really am trying to figure out what I will be happy with in the end and what will best suit the car with the performance goals and power I will make. I've never seen any comparisons with all the companies I have mentioned.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:05 AM

you will never see a direct comparison. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to do. All involved would have to run the same combo with the same tires, brakes, engine and driver all on the same day.
the Super Chevy Suspension and Handling challenge used to be about as close as you were going to get.
Now the format has changed and it is less of a comparison and just another race. IMO
Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM

If you are planning to run wide front tires the Speedtech xtreme subframe with the Sweet rack is the only way to go imho. The Mustang based rack used by DSE, AME, the Speedtech pro-touring subframe and others is not up to the task and a considerable number have failed....

AME offers a Woodward rack upgrade also but it is very pricey.

Don
Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 PM

If you're not going to do track time, and you don't want to get arrested for driving your car at the speeds your engine can generate, in other words, you're not going to go fast enough to get arrested, then any of the manufacturers, including just throwing in some upper and lower control arms / spindles with modern geometry on your stock subframe with performance springs and shocks / coilovers with some upgrades to any worn steering components will get you what you need. You'll save thousands, and you're not really missing out on anything except bragging rights over your sweet setup.

If you think you're going to do track days... you're gonna get hooked, and you're gonna spend lots of money just on consumables, so you might as well get the right stuff up front. Read up on all of Ron Sutton's posts, consult with him, go buy the package for the times you want to produce on track, and then go destroy your fellow drivers.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1793 View Post
If you're not going to do track time, and you don't want to get arrested for driving your car at the speeds your engine can generate, in other words, you're not going to go fast enough to get arrested, then any of the manufacturers, including just throwing in some upper and lower control arms / spindles with modern geometry on your stock subframe with performance springs and shocks / coilovers with some upgrades to any worn steering components will get you what you need. You'll save thousands, and you're not really missing out on anything except bragging rights over your sweet setup.

If you think you're going to do track days... you're gonna get hooked, and you're gonna spend lots of money just on consumables, so you might as well get the right stuff up front. Read up on all of Ron Sutton's posts, consult with him, go buy the package for the times you want to produce on track, and then go destroy your fellow drivers.
He could brag that he save thousands.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/