Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Community Events
User Name
Password

Old 10-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
Or you could look at it that they would have to limit the spectators, Cuz there is just no place for them in reality. Last year it was fine cuz nobody had heard of the event. Well what is 10,000 people showed up this year? I'm glad that I'm given the chance to volunteer. He could hire out temp works to do the job and then nobody gets to go. And A volunteer gets to see the event more up close then any spectator ever would. Imagine if this event was in the middle of LMS, You would not be able to see anything up close without TV coverage. If you have been to Spring Mountain, you can see there are no bleachers or any place to really view th entire track. It is probably worse then an Event at El Toro.
I've been to Spring Mountain and realize the limitations. As I mentioned in my previous post...limiting the number of spectators is understandable. If there are those who would like the "volunteer" view, then great! Reward those people accordingly. Shutting things off the way they have isn't a win, win and a bit of a slap in the face to people who have helped make the event what it is.

Years ago I used to help organize and run airshows. Not exactly a bleacher type event. Similar challenges with manning, organizing and controlling. Never had an issue finding volunteers or with controlling a crowd. These events where on a much larger scale and a lot more complex.

I'm sure that you, Tyler and many more of my industry friends will have no trouble getting in to the event. It would be nice to see "average Joe" have a shot at it to.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
I've been to Spring Mountain and realize the limitations. As I mentioned in my previous post...limiting the number of spectators is understandable. If there are those who would like the "volunteer" view, then great! Reward those people accordingly. Shutting things off the way they have isn't a win, win and a bit of a slap in the face to people who have helped make the event what it is.

Years ago I used to help organize and run airshows. Not exactly a bleacher type event. Similar challenges with manning, organizing and controlling. Never had an issue finding volunteers or with controlling a crowd. These events where on a much larger scale and a lot more complex.

I'm sure that you, Tyler and many more of my industry friends will have no trouble getting in to the event. It would be nice to see "average Joe" have a shot at it to.
Actually I volunteered last year and am doing the same this year. I like helping with tech because you get to see all the cars first hand and up close. I ran tech last year and left about 1pm to get home after a long week and because it was really difficult to see anything.

I guess in reality they did what you already said you agree with. They just limited the spectators to a number you did not agree with. So it really is just a fact they did not allow 1 person or 10,001 people.

If there is space sign up to help, it is fun. Or build a car to complete that's even more fun.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Actually I volunteered last year and am doing the same this year. I like helping with tech because you get to see all the cars first hand and up close. I ran tech last year and left about 1pm to get home after a long week and because it was really difficult to see anything.

I guess in reality they did what you already said you agree with. They just limited the spectators to a number you did not agree with. So it really is just a fact they did not allow 1 person or 10,001 people.

If there is space sign up to help, it is fun. Or build a car to complete that's even more fun.
I suppose in a way they did. Zero is the number they set. I hope they have plenty of people on the list to assist. Maybe they can divide things up and give them a bit of free time to enjoy other aspects of the event they might be missing. It might kind of suck being stuck in the parking lot directing traffic all day.

Is Todd (Vegas69) going to run this year...or was he not invited again. Tons of amazing cars out there I would love to watch roll in hot at this event, but getting ones car in it is appears to be nearly impossible.

Oh well.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I suppose in a way they did. Zero is the number they set. I hope they have plenty of people on the list to assist. Maybe they can divide things up and give them a bit of free time to enjoy other aspects of the event they might be missing. It might kind of suck being stuck in the parking lot directing traffic all day.

Is Todd (Vegas69) going to run this year...or was he not invited again. Tons of amazing cars out there I would love to watch roll in hot at this event, but getting ones car in it is appears to be nearly impossible.

Oh well.

Dont get your hopes up if you build a car to compete.I built a car to compete but apparently it wasn't good enough. Hell, I even did the Spectre 341 Challenge 12 hours after completing the car including the drive there and I believe the same people that held that chose the Optima Challenge Cars. I was told I needed a manufacturer to represent me. Whatever...........
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
It might kind of suck being stuck in the parking lot directing traffic all day.

Oh well.
But if there are no spectators and only event staff and participants that might be the best job, cuz you will have everyone parked before the event even begins.

I don't Todd tried to win his way into the event after El Toro. Maybe next year.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM

I don't agree with the no spectator deal and can't imagine the sponsors a big fans of that so it will probably change. That being said, I bet it's an insurance nightmare for everyone involved. More notice would've been nice. Doug(Dfresh) and Dave(Flash) are staying with me for SEMA and they got assignments to work. Sounds like they went pretty fast.

As far as me getting into the deal. I don't really feel like I should have a leg up on anyone just because I live in Las Vegas. I ran one qualifier this year and that was El Toro. I had farily fresh R888's and it was my second time on a road course so I didn't feel I had a chance in hell to win so I left them on and ran exibition. I ended up beating the winner by about 2 seconds with my R888's. How I would've done with BFG's is really hard to say. With no seat time and knowing what I know now, the car would've been off. I had the car dialed in for those tires and now have BFG's. I've had to go back to square one to find the balance again. I can honestly say the car has never been more balanced and feels awesome on the street but I haven't had any track time since I corner weighted the car and went made some major suspension adjustments. It will be close enough that some shock changes should really dial it in. If I don't get in this year, I'll race my way in next year. My car is ready, here, and a short drive to Spring Mountain. I can play pinch hitter.

Last edited by Vegas69; 10-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
. Doug(Dfresh) and Dave(Flash) are staying with me for SEMA and they got assignments to work. I can play switch hitter.
WTF?

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Curtis --

Here's my 'take' on the situation.

Since we all know the rules - regardless of how late we feel they were posted - we were all treated equal. Some of us jumped on the chance to volunteer and emailed our choices ASAP so as to make the small field. I'd rather do a little bit to HELP (I wouldn't call this WORK) and be close to the action - than I would sit it out and whine about it. Everyone was given this choice to make. Help out, or sit it out.

Most all of us have a long travel time and effort to get to SEMA / OUSCI... and many had to modify their flights and hotels and rental cars etc. That was due to the late posting of this critical info. I was ready to cancel my entire SEMA trip if I'd not made the short list. Yes - I was very unhappy with the short notice. The airfare etc - hotel and blah blah blah would have needed to be changed - or used (boring - another day in Vegas after a week is not my choice for sure!) and paid for without the reward of being at this event.

My point is -- I could volunteer - QUICKLY - to make the short list - or try QUICKLY to hook up with a buddy to be car crew - or do nothing to try to remedy the situation and then be 'mad'.

I used to ask my employees when they'd complain about something.... "are you part of the problem, or part of the solution"? Since there are compelling reasons these rules had to be instituted there's nothing "we" can do to change them - so your only choice was to volunteer or hitch a ride... End of story.

Sorry, but you made your choice.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Curtis --

Here's my 'take' on the situation.

Since we all know the rules - regardless of how late we feel they were posted - we were all treated equal. Some of us jumped on the chance to volunteer and emailed our choices ASAP so as to make the small field. I'd rather do a little bit to HELP (I wouldn't call this WORK) and be close to the action - than I would sit it out and whine about it. Everyone was given this choice to make. Help out, or sit it out.

Most all of us have a long travel time and effort to get to SEMA / OUSCI... and many had to modify their flights and hotels and rental cars etc. That was due to the late posting of this critical info. I was ready to cancel my entire SEMA trip if I'd not made the short list. Yes - I was very unhappy with the short notice. The airfare etc - hotel and blah blah blah would have needed to be changed - or used (boring - another day in Vegas after a week is not my choice for sure!) and paid for without the reward of being at this event.

My point is -- I could volunteer - QUICKLY - to make the short list - or try QUICKLY to hook up with a buddy to be car crew - or do nothing to try to remedy the situation and then be 'mad'.

I used to ask my employees when they'd complain about something.... "are you part of the problem, or part of the solution"? Since there are compelling reasons these rules had to be instituted there's nothing "we" can do to change them - so your only choice was to volunteer or hitch a ride... End of story.

Sorry, but you made your choice.
Greg, I would tend to agree with you, for the most part, but I think you might be forgetting that there are probably a fair amount of people who simply wanted to "stop by" for several hours on their way out of town. Volunteering, and committing to being there for an entire day is a bit much for some people who I'm sure are heading back into CA or AZ and have to drive 5 hours after leaving Pahrump. I had to change my plans because I'm heading back with my dad, and he wouldn't want to have to be there for an entire day.

It is what it is this year, and I'm ok with that. I'd like Optima to be a great event for years to come, and I'm a little worried that the shift in policy on attendance, as well as in a couple other areas, might not be in the best interests of the majority of enthusiasts and supporting vendors.

Matt
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Matt --

I think the biggest issue people are having is that this rules change was posted so late -- that people weren't able to modify plans etc... and I know I wasn't happy about that either.

BUT -- my point to Curtis is that he lives there - has no plans to really modify - and yet he's whining about having to work or miss the event. His situation is COMPLETELY different than almost everyone else's. He just chose not to want to volunteer - yet is posting up he's upset about it.

I'm not trying to start a fight over this - I was just saying that he made a choice. Most of us had to really put in extra effort or extra cost etc just in order to be there for this - period - regardless of whether or not we "wanted" to work. When given the chance to work to play - some of us chose to.

I'm really sorry for lots of guys - some of which have flown from AUSTRALIA - with family etc - and they've been effectively shut out. They can't change their plans or they have to make really hard choices about family etc. THAT to me is a different issue... and out of their control. Curtis had control and chose to not put out the effort.

Now I hope he doesn't want to punch me when we see each other!