User Name
Password

Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Gregg,
I hope you know I'm not making fun of you, I'm laughing with you. With anything, how do you know if you are at the edge if you never push past it. Reminds me of many years ago when i started drag racing snowmobiles and I spoke with a multi time champion, and he asked me if I ever blew up my motor yet. I wish I could have seen my own face of horror because I just spent thousands of dollars I didn't have to spare on that motor. He then asked "well then how do you know if there's not any more speed left in it?"

Never thought that at all. But remember you're not the only one reading. It's a public question and response. When I respond - my response always tries to answer questions that others may only be thinking.

Racing is hard (they call these TRACK DAYS - but that is only a cover for "I'm not really racing" which is complete BS) -- only those that haven't done it would think otherwise. I'm no good at it - am a total weekend warrior. I know this for fact. I have never thought otherwise. I have IMPROVED... I have pushed the limits when my limits were far lower. Now I push the limits harder and mess up "less" -- less is not making for a particularly great record. LOL

I will say --- when I spin now -- I expect it - and know why I did what I did. That's a HUGE difference than when I began. Now I usually know in advance the minute I've done what I've done. My experimental line trying to find more speed or carry thru - or my later harder braking zone. Sometimes it's just that momentary lapse - and at the speeds we're carrying - there is no momentary. So yeah - usually it's just bad judgement on my part and I don't have the skills to recover.

But damn I have fun!

I would add to this -- that the car got way better -- but I don't think I got better until I had some seat time and began to push it a bit. I had to take almost a year off due to the cancer issue - and then kind of got a second wind. Seems to me that when I came back -- things just began to work better for me. Then -- the car set up needed to change because I found the limits of the set up that "was". It went from neutral to "free" to loose.... these changes happen quickly on track. Free became loose within a couple laps as the "free" used up the tires quickly. You'd have loved to have been chasing me because it was a **** show for the ages! LOL Now.... I'm not blaming the car - rather - I'm trying to explain what people may not know or understand. A cars set up can be neutral - until you begin to drive it differently - then it can go to pushy or free or loose in a hurry. Once I put some more rear grip in the car - then I suddenly found "push" - but left it alone because it was balanced and I could "cause" the push. Mind you... we only get 20 minutes (about 9 to 10 laps) and sometimes there's traffic and you don't get to explore the track to the cars (or drivers) ability. We're out there with some real different drivers and cars. You can waste an entire 20 minute session parading around... and not get out of 3rd gear. My point is -- in all of my driving -- not all that many laps are done at max effort. The experience comes slowly....

Last edited by GregWeld; 08-23-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:34 PM

So glad your widening the body. Looks so much cleaner than flares.
Happiest day of my life was when I figured out how I could do it and get rid of the monster truck fender flares.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:26 PM

That is why running in a group like NASA with full course open passing is the way to go. Parade laps suck.

Seat time is where it's at. How often do you think people are trying to tune their car for a condition their driving is causing?

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 08-25-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post
That is why running in a group like NASA with full course open passing is the way to go. Parade laps suck.

Seat time is where it's at. How often do you think people are trying to tune their car for a condition their driving is causing?
Makes a lot of sense.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post
How often do you think people are trying to tune their car for a condition their driving is causing?
Uhhhh. A lot. A whole lot.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:26 PM

Gotta tell you race guys ---- PRI (Performance Racing Industry) show was so much more "relevant" than SEMA for the guys that went.... We were in awe for 3 days! Plus we got to kiss the bricks at The Brickyard!!

Oh ----- and Ron Sutton walked with us and showed us all some of the trick stuff going in the new car... so just that was worth the trip!

If you've not seen one - or heard of one - check out PPG Sequential 6 speeds (we'll run non overdrive - just 6 close ratio gears).

There was so much cool stuff there is was a bit overwhelming! I saw things I didn't know existed.... and the staff at the booths knew racing and loved talking about their stuff and race cars in general.... It was just awesome weekend. COLD for sure!!
Old 12-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Gotta tell you race guys ---- PRI (Performance Racing Industry) show was so much more "relevant" than SEMA for the guys that went.... We were in awe for 3 days! Plus we got to kiss the bricks at The Brickyard!!

Oh ----- and Ron Sutton walked with us and showed us all some of the trick stuff going in the new car... so just that was worth the trip!

If you've not seen one - or heard of one - check out PPG Sequential 6 speeds (we'll run non overdrive - just 6 close ratio gears).

There was so much cool stuff there is was a bit overwhelming! I saw things I didn't know existed.... and the staff at the booths knew racing and loved talking about their stuff and race cars in general.... It was just awesome weekend. COLD for sure!!
Have to agree! but i don't think we should talk about it any more or it will just turn into SEMA !! lol

who knew there were 25 companies that make BBC heads!! and 50 shock companies!!
Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
Have to agree! but i don't think we should talk about it any more or it will just turn into SEMA !! lol

who knew there were 25 companies that make BBC heads!! and 50 shock companies!!

Totally agree ----- Hey you "race guys" ---- NOTE: There were ZERO CORVETTE OR EVO parts there. Zip, Nada, NONE.

<that ought to kill any thoughts of attending>
Old 12-14-2017, 09:55 AM

lol @ Greg!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:09 AM

Sounds like a hoot and way better then a monkey on your head!

Can’t wait to see it come together, especially the aero and pneumatic jacks...